Talk

Advanced search

40th birthday at a football game, in a box. What do I wear?!

(8 Posts)
SerialCerealKiller Wed 22-Feb-17 08:26:52

I have no idea what to wear for this, help please!
A good friend is having a surprise 40th birthday thing at a big upcoming game, his wife has got a box for us all. What level of smart do you go to?

AlexanderHamilton Wed 22-Feb-17 08:29:32

Smart casual but wArm at this time of year.

No jeans. I usually go smart black trousers, layers of jumpers so you can strip down to a thinner later when inside/eating & a warm coat.
Boxes are usually no football colours allowed.

SerialCerealKiller Wed 22-Feb-17 08:37:36

I have a lovely warm red tartan scarf, would that not be allowed? Will the box feel warm or is it more of an outside thing iykwim? I've barely watched a game, never mind go to one!

Floisme Wed 22-Feb-17 08:47:17

I've only been in a box once or twice but there was no dress code and nobody dressed up. I wore jeans and just a couple of layers less than I'd normally wear to a match. The box was fully enclosed so warmer than watching from the stands but in some grounds, they're half open so that's worth checking.

It may be different if you're going as part of a hospitality package and there's a swanky meal afterwards. Otherwise I honestly wouldn't worry. Unless things have changed a lot in the last few years, people are watching the football, not you. Nobody cares.

I would think a tartan scarf would be fine - it's team colours that may be discouraged (although that wasn't the case when I went).

SerialCerealKiller Wed 22-Feb-17 09:02:20

Thank you both, it's really helpful.
Would dh look ridiculous turning up in a shirt and smart trousers?

Oogle Wed 22-Feb-17 09:07:26

The box may have seats outside so you can choose to sit there or stay in the box. Tartan scarf will probably be ok.

Shirt and smart trousers will be fine - people go in suits/jeans and jumpers/whatever they fancy and often depending on whether or not they're off for hospitality or dinner after the match. If he's worried about feeling overdressed, a shirt and smart jeans will be fine.

I would personally wear skinny jeans, ankle boots, fitted t-shirt, blazer and a scarf. Smart-casual. Covers all bases!

Laiste Wed 22-Feb-17 09:19:40

If you know where you're going ring up and ask about the box. Is it enclosed and will you need to wrap up?

I agree smart casual gets you through most occasions these days.

AlexanderHamilton Wed 22-Feb-17 09:25:53

I'd ring & ask.

At the ground where my dad goes the boxes are part of the hospitality area & there is a dress code of smart casual no football shirts. You get a meal served in the box and then there are doors leading to outside where you can watch the match or stay inside.

Other grounds may be more casual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now