Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Wedding guest outfits for DC's

(24 Posts)
wheresthewine36 Tue 21-Feb-17 22:55:08

I need help with finding outfits for 4 of my 5 DC's for a family wedding this year. (DS is 19 so can hopefully sort his own outfit!)
As we are a large family and rarely all get together, it has been arranged for the photographer to do a separate shoot to get all the family children together.
My struggle is getting the DC's to match in the level of how dressed up they are.
DD1 is 9, likes to look "grown up", hates pink but other than that is fairly easy going on the clothes front.
DD2 is 8. She has a strong sense of what she does and doesn't like and although she loves to get dressed up, she is quite a tom-boy. She has recently had her hair cut into a long pixie style (after a year of begging).
DD3 is 6. Very girly, loves pink, sparkles, sequins, glitter.
DD2 is pretty laid back and will happily wear a suit/shirt and tie etc.
I've looked at Boden/Laredoute/Next/Monsoon but I'm really struggling to find anything for DD2 which doesn't look much more casual than the outfits DD's 1 and 3 will like.
Anyone have any suggestions?

NewPantsforaNewYear Tue 21-Feb-17 23:39:33

Could DD2 wear a jumpsuit that coordinates with the others?

If you pick various tones of a colour, could DD3 have a sparkly version?

Do you have a colour or colours in mind that you'd like to see them in?

NewPantsforaNewYear Tue 21-Feb-17 23:51:15

Would DD2 wear something like this top with smart black or cream trousers?

Ohyesiam Wed 22-Feb-17 00:04:14

If they wore things that they chose, then the pictures Would just reflect their individuality, and that's ok isn't it?

MiddleClassProblem Wed 22-Feb-17 00:10:35

Do they need to match up? I prob wouldn't bother lazy and not into it

If so maybe they could have some kind of accessory that runs through them all?

MiddleClassProblem Wed 22-Feb-17 00:11:42

If there are other family kids in the pictures won't they all be in different clothes anyway?

I only had a brother so we didn't match every

MiddleClassProblem Wed 22-Feb-17 00:11:50

*ever

wheresthewine36 Wed 22-Feb-17 08:04:54

Thanks for your replies.
Newpants, a jumpsuit would be great for DD2 but I'm really struggling to find one that is dressy enough confused I don't mind what colours, as long as they all like what they're wearing and they're all as dressed up as each other, if you see what I mean? I really like the top you linked but DD2 wouldn't wear it because it has pink in.
Ohyesiam, I want their outfits to reflect their personalities - the struggle is funding clothes that do that while still being appropriate for a wedding. DD1,2 & 3's choices shouldn't be a problem but DD2's tastes are quite different to theirs so it's finding something for her that doesn't look too casual.
Middleclass, they don't need to match in terms of all in similar/coordinating outfits (although I did that when they were small, much to their horror when they see the photographs grin), I would just like them all to be dressed to the same level of dressiness. I'm probably hugely over thinking it!

wheresthewine36 Wed 22-Feb-17 08:07:39

DD1 would love this :
uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_3,mon_3.3,mon_3.3.10/1151500643

NewPantsforaNewYear Wed 22-Feb-17 08:36:34

How about this one?
m.johnlewis.com/jigsaw-girls'-silk-effect-jumpsuit/navy/p/3095473

Also I spotted a couple last night that had black trousers and a cream lace top. I'll see if I can find them again.

NewPantsforaNewYear Wed 22-Feb-17 08:37:32

This one is nice too
m.johnlewis.com/angel-rocket-girls'-jumpsuit-navy/p/2907796

NewPantsforaNewYear Wed 22-Feb-17 08:39:28

Shorts one
m.houseoffraser.co.uk/Yumi+Girls+Daisy+Trim+Playsuit/259842192,default,pd.html

NewPantsforaNewYear Wed 22-Feb-17 08:42:35

This was one of the black and lace ones
www.riverisland.com/girls/playsuits--jumpsuits/jumpsuits/girls-black-and-white-lace-block-jumpsuit-820708?sem=1&cmpid=PLA&istCompanyId=28d3cba5-6749-43eb-904c-61b8cc01cf80&istItemId=xwrqawqtwr&istBid=tztx&gclid=CjwKEAiAirXFBRCQyvL279Tnx1ESJAB-G-QvdgqphVEKTHPFpMWjRzXC6kYcctgIlS0XHU5s1iHVchoCiDDw_wcB

NewPantsforaNewYear Wed 22-Feb-17 08:43:49

This one could look smart
www.matalan.co.uk/discover/jumpsuits-and-playsuits/s2637040/girls-spot-playsuit--3-13yrs

Ginmakesitallok Wed 22-Feb-17 08:45:02

Ted baker has some nice dresses in debenhams m.debenhams.com/kids/girls-dresses/baker-by-ted-baker/girls

NewPantsforaNewYear Wed 22-Feb-17 08:45:23

Not so sure about this one and starts at age 9
m.newlook.com/shop/teens/shop-department/teens-blue-cold-shoulder-tie-waist-playsuit_511939240

Lucked Wed 22-Feb-17 08:48:12

I am guessing this ted baker jumpsuit is too floral for her.

NEMSparkle Wed 22-Feb-17 08:49:31

https://m.johnlewis.com/angel-rocket-girls'-jumpsuit-navy/p/2907796?sku=236354664&skwcid=2dx92700016892411401&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CPP_WkNSoo9ICFa8W0wodnTQKMg&gclsrc=aw.ds#

Dress them all in navy and then accessorize with pink (shoes, tights, or cardigan etc) keeps everyone happy and will all look matching without actually matching.

Lucked Wed 22-Feb-17 08:49:38

This yumi playsuit could work.

MiddleClassProblem Wed 22-Feb-17 09:06:29

Would she wear a waistcoat too? They tend to make a suit look more formal or short and tie look more formal.

Going to look for really smart shirts/ties that might lift it

wheresthewine36 Wed 22-Feb-17 09:53:09

Ooh, ladies, you've all come up trumps! They're all great, think she will love the New Look playsuit. I'm thinking maybe a flower corsage on a belt and coordinating flowers in DD1&3's hair and silver sandals for all of them smile

Kr1stina Wed 22-Feb-17 09:57:40

Lots of girls who are thought of as tomboys are just girls who don't like all that pink Lilac sparkly princess thing and wearing clothes that are restrictive and delicate and uncomfortable to play in just so you can appeal to the male/ adult gaze.

I was the same as a child, but that's when gendered clothing wasn't such A Thing , so I was allowed to be a girl who just wore red and blue jumpers and trousers and not anything unusual.

My teenaged DD is like this and I'd describe her style as sporty. She wears denim skirts , dungarees, pinafores, skinny high waisted jeans and converse.

For the last wedding, she wore a burgundy coloured playsuit , i think it was from new look 12-15 section, so not expensive. And silver converse and a smartish jersey jacket. And she did up her hair with these little silver clip things ( which apparently don't count as too girly ) and wore some jewellery.

So not traditional wedding outfit but she still looked fine. I'd have preferred sandals rather than converse but hey ho. The most important thing for her is comfort and the most important thing for me is trying not to sweat the small stuff.

Next do lots of styles of kids stuff in many different styles and you can place a click and collect order, go into the store to try it on and return what you don't want immediately . Saves the pain of shopping round with a stroppy non shoppping child.

BTW I wouldn't stress too much about the kids all matching each other, as PP said there will be a range of style in the photo.

Kr1stina Wed 22-Feb-17 09:58:17

Oops x posted, I see the playsuit thing is a possibility

NewPantsforaNewYear Wed 22-Feb-17 11:45:49

Sounds great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now