Talk

Advanced search

what do you over 40,s wear for a night out?

(23 Posts)
Theothersideof40 Mon 20-Feb-17 20:15:44

So I'm 41, 5ft4 typical pear shape, blondish (lots of grey!!!).
I want to feel good on a night out with friends/hubby, what do you wear? I always seem to go for the faithfully, skinny black trousers and I nice top. Feel like something different on my bottom, skinny jeans (blue) but what blue? Coated leggings? Am I too old for a cold shoulder top.
What do you all wear?

VictoriaMcdade Mon 20-Feb-17 22:33:02

Cold shoulder tops are hideous!

What is your normal style? Where do you like to shop?

Personally I like to wear little knee length dresses, maybe with a belt? I thought binhat everyone does the skinny jeans: trousers and nice too look. I look terrible in skinnies so I avoid them and go a bit left field.

The most important thing is that you have to feel good and be comfortable!

ohgoshIdontknow Mon 20-Feb-17 22:34:38

Definite no to cold shoulder tops.

Sports luxe trousers a la Me & Em?

I do a lot of skinny black jeans and top so know where you're coming from!

DameDoom Mon 20-Feb-17 23:42:44

Me and Em posh sports luxe trackie pants are indeed brilliant apart from the fact the buggers need dry cleaning. Cold shoulder tops are straying in to Liz McDonald or even Jayne McDonald territory. I tend to wear leather leggings and a silk shirt, tux jacket if I am making a massive effort which is vv seldom - more often than not I just switch up my shoes and wear more lippie (am 45).
I went for dinner at a really nice place on Saturday and there was a woman of about 30 who had got all dressed up - she looked completely out of place and really old fashioned. It's a shame really, I loved glamming up in the late 80s.

SugarLoveHeart Mon 20-Feb-17 23:45:47

I'm a dress person. Now I tend towards knee length, silk, nicely tailored. I've finally ditched my mini skirts...

Ohyesiam Mon 20-Feb-17 23:57:38

Cold shoulder tops are good, nobodies shoulders deteriorate much with age!

busyboysmum Tue 21-Feb-17 00:02:04

I'm a black skinnies nice top bikers jacket funky boots dresser when I go out too.

I often try on other outfits first but then default to the safe option.

My legs are still good so I do love a mini skirt actually but it always looks too dressy for the people I go out with sadly.

chemicalCat Tue 21-Feb-17 08:10:40

I'm late mid forties and similar height and body shape to you. My legs are still pretty good. Was out just the other night and wore grey shimmery top, velvet shorts, opaques and silver ankle boots. Thought I looked OK!

missyB1 Tue 21-Feb-17 08:13:35

I'm late 40s, I tend to wear a nice knee length dress (or just above knee), with glossy tights and either ballet flats or knee length boots.

If it's a more casual night out then my straight leg jeans with floaty top.

RebelandaStunner Tue 21-Feb-17 08:31:23

For the pub/live music
Black skinny jeans or coated skinnies-metallic and black.
Jacket
High heeled boots
For a bit posher place/meal out I would swap skinnies for a mini skirt (leather one and black and white etc)

Theothersideof40 Tue 21-Feb-17 08:42:33

Thanks everyone, maybe ill look for a dress, not sure about a mini skirt, dont think im brave enough for that!
Roll on summer always feel better then! ☺

Bluntness100 Tue 21-Feb-17 08:44:52

I'd also agree on the cold shoulder tops, I just don't like them, on anyone.

For me it's dark indigo or black skinny jeans, heels and a good sleeveless shell top.

Sadik Tue 21-Feb-17 10:22:44

No to cold shoulder tops - IME they're worn by very 'safe' dressers trying to look a bit funky.
I'm nearer 50 than 40, so a bit old for you - but pub would wear black skinnies & a top (sorry!) but for 'proper'going out (gig or party) would wear something a bit more dressy - mini-dress + interesting tights/knee length boots or sometimes do the whole steampunk long skirt / victoriana blouse / corset look. I'd love to do the 50s retro glam look but am utterly the wrong shape.

MrsMeeseeks Tue 21-Feb-17 10:44:02

I nearly always wear a dress - they are an instant outfit so you don't have to think about what goes with what.

AFierceBadRabbit Tue 21-Feb-17 15:19:43

You're not too old for anything so long as it suits you and makes you feel good.
Cold shoulder tops are not age specific to my mind, although the young are more likely to go for them due to them being on trend. I can't see how showing a bit of shoulder has anything to do with age, if you like those shoulders...

I am 43 and wear anything from a mini with low heel tie ankle shoes, wide leg cut offs with tighter, party style top, sparkly cropped kick flares with sock boots and a good quality slouchy jumper, a dress with opaques, jeans with a dressy top, etc.

I don't dress older so much as I'm just more aware of the overall look and what suits me now. Some of those things are what I would have worn when younger, some aren't. It's a mixed bag.

Theothersideof40 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:27:22

Im on the lookout for a nice dress now, have a few but worn them all a few times! A nice blouse/top and also some new jeans, have some dark blue skinnies, but mever feel overally nice in them for some reason

Fuzzypeggy Tue 21-Feb-17 22:00:01

instagram.com/p/5MUrBcJv2p/
I think cold shoulder can look really nice if done right, as seen on wit here. Can look awful though!

NotJanine Tue 21-Feb-17 22:31:40

I need help with this too. Can anyone give examples of 'nice tops'?

Theothersideof40 Wed 22-Feb-17 08:21:55

Ive been looking on Oasis NotJanine and they have some lovely tops ☺

busyboysmum Wed 22-Feb-17 22:45:41

I tend to get my going out tops from Zara. Usually I love metallic often silver and I have a grey bikers jacket and wear lots of chunky silver jewellery.

busyboysmum Wed 22-Feb-17 22:47:20

Something like this.

Gah81 Thu 23-Feb-17 00:49:01

Baukjen. Am a bit of a Baukjen evangelist but: gorgeous shapes, thick double jersey which holds you in, ruching in all the right places, can be dressed up or down and they last for absolute years (and machine washable!)

Michelle58 Thu 23-Feb-17 12:29:15

I have a 21" grey/black pencil skirt from M&S which I have worn countless times on a Saturday night out. I often get complimented on it (even including from some from hubby! ). Match it up with "barely black" tights and 2" heels plus almost any top and it's glam but not tarty (she says hopefully ). I'm well into my 50s (that counts as over 40, right?) and feel it works. Unfortunately they don't do that exact skirt any more, but there are always similar items there. I hope that helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now