Talk

Advanced search

Hair loss: When to expect regrowth after taking iron tablets?

(13 Posts)
CeeBeeBee Sun 19-Feb-17 21:49:58

My hair has been thinning and shedding for maybe a year so I went to the gp to ask for a blood test and my ferritin level was about 37 which I know causes hair loss if below 40.

I've been taking Ferrous Fumerate for over a month now and I definitely think that my hair shedding has subsided, as there are not as many strands as before in the shower and when I brush my hair. I even sweep the carpet with an old toothbrush to see how many has fallen onto the floor to check!

I guess what I want to hear, is some success stories of replenishing one's iron stores and regain of thick glossy locks. Has this ever happened to you and has taking iron tablets helped in the long run?
Please give me some hope!
Thank you.

TheSpottedZebra Sun 19-Feb-17 22:14:26

Me! Well, I obviously don't know if that's what it was, but my hair was really falling out, I was anaemic, took FF (and also kelp tablets), and now it's not falling out anywhere near as much.

It was gradual though and I can't for the life of me remember how long it took.
The FF did get a bit too much for my guts though, so now I only take that around my period and take floradix at other times.

bigbuttons Sun 19-Feb-17 22:19:22

I was taking iron, but the thing that has made a huge difference to my hair loss is kelp. I really can't believe how immediate the change was.

CeeBeeBee Sun 19-Feb-17 22:27:26

Kelp? <<Gets excited>> I thought that was due to the iodine content for treating thyroid though which also causes hair loss?

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I shall keep going with the tablets though as it is clear that ff isn't high enough and especially since I am (or was) vegetarian for over 20 years.

FreeNiki Sun 19-Feb-17 22:31:17

Is it really a concern at 37? My level was 5!!

37 is well into normal range. Maybe hair loss is something else.

CeeBeeBee Sun 19-Feb-17 22:38:38

Normal iron levels is anything between 13 and 300 but you need 40 to stop hair loss and 80 for regrowth.

CeeBeeBee Sun 19-Feb-17 22:39:12

Normal being "not anaemic".

TheSpottedZebra Sun 19-Feb-17 22:40:02

I'm veggie too, CBB. I think the kelp ^seemed* to work relatively quickly too, as buttons said.
NB I've never had any thyroid concerns, nothing was mentioned in my blood tests (for anaemia). I probably read about kelp on here!

CeeBeeBee Sun 19-Feb-17 22:44:16

Hmm, I did have thyroid tested as well but they reported it back as normal. My mother's side of the family have a history of thyroid dysfunction and dm occasionally has to take iodine tablets.

I'll think about the kelp if progress is slow. Do you just get them from Holland and Barret?

TheSpottedZebra Sun 19-Feb-17 22:58:05

Mine are just H&B ones of 150 ug iodine per day. But they'd be cheaper elsewhere.

burnishedsilver Sun 19-Feb-17 23:42:04

6-8 weeks for me. I take iron and hair and nail vitamins.

I know my iron is low when I see hair on the pillow in the morning.

OverAndAbove Mon 20-Feb-17 06:44:40

My hairdresser was the first to spot the regrowth, after about six weeks (she calls it the halo effect as its like a fuzzy circle round your head) Ferrous fumarate played havoc with my stomach so I take ferroglobin and also starflower which hels my skin and general mood. I have fairly short hair and after the initial fuzz it was pretty quick to thicken up

BWatchWatcher Mon 20-Feb-17 07:33:12

Just be careful with kelp because it can muck up your thyroid!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now