Talk

Advanced search

Need a wedding guest outfit and want to avoid Coast-help!

(12 Posts)
Tatlerer Sat 18-Feb-17 22:47:27

Don't get me wrong, I actually love Coast stuff (my favourite cocktail dress is a full-skirted Hepburn-esque number) but want to avoid as far as possible the dreaded 'OMG she's in the same outfit as me' scenario.

I'm not an important guest (going as the best friend 'plus one' of the groom's sister). I'm a size 6 on top, 8 on the bottom. Tend to avoid anything too clingy on the bottom if poss. 5 foot 4. Budget about £300 as I figure I'll wear it again. Wedding in June.

Whistles occurred to me but I'm not sure if I'm overlooking anything else? My style is reasonably classic but with a bit of an 'edge' if that makes sense.

notMarlene Sat 18-Feb-17 22:55:22

I rather like [https://www.theoutnet.com/en-GB/Shop/Product/Jonathan-Simkhai/Embroidered-tulle-midi-dress/890003 [this]], although I've no idea if it's the sort of thing you might like.

tethersend Sat 18-Feb-17 23:00:22

How about something like this?

bojorojo Sat 18-Feb-17 23:01:33

Self Portrait. Their sizes are a bit small. Excellent dresses though, especially for your size. Also Finery. Cheaper but edgy.

Tatlerer Sun 19-Feb-17 07:10:25

Thank you all! loving the recommendations!!

ChishandFips33 Sun 19-Feb-17 08:33:42

Ted Baker

Ted again

WhooooAmI24601 Sun 19-Feb-17 09:29:08

The Pretty Dress Company dresses are lovely. I bought the Fatale one in three colours over Christmas as it's just the perfect dress. It's gone a bit Coast-y though, and one I wore to Ascot last year I spotted on three other women.

I love Paper Dolls dresses, too.

NewBallsPlease00 Mon 20-Feb-17 01:17:15

I'd go for a good whistles jumpsuit - but more modern and flex not just wedding attire - dress up/down leather jacket/ trainers vs stilettos and clutch

NewBallsPlease00 Mon 20-Feb-17 01:20:13

Like this www.whistles.com/women/clothing/limited-collection/embroidery-cutwork-jumpsuit-24070.html?dwvar_embroidery-cutwork-jumpsuit-24070_color=Black#start=1
Or this bargain
www.whistles.com/women/sale/jumpsuits/kiki-spot-jumpsuit-23857.html?dwvar_kiki-spot-jumpsuit-23857_color=Black#prefn1=productType&prefv1=Sale+Jumpsuits&start=1

Tatlerer Mon 20-Feb-17 12:28:50

newballs I love both of those but I'm very very fair and blonde so tend to avoid black for fear of making me look like a negative (I should have mentioned that upthread). Love the jumpsuit idea though (although will be swearing at midnight when I need to go to the loo every 2 mins and get undressed each time!!)

minipie Mon 20-Feb-17 12:43:03

Agree with Ted Baker and the Pretty Dress Company

Also:

Closet London link

ChiChi Clothing link

Tatlerer Fri 24-Feb-17 09:37:43

Hi all! Have ordered this online- not sure it'll work (as I'm much shorter than the model the leg length may look awkward!) but worth a punt particularly with the 20% discount: http://www.whistles.com/women/clothing/jumpsuits/elsie-v-neck-jumpsuit-25154.html?dwvarelsie-v-neck-jumpsuit-251544_color=Navy#start=1

Thought I could inject some colour with a coral chunky necklace/ earrings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now