Talk

Advanced search

Are pashminas horribly unfashionable?

(34 Posts)
Whoateallthecheese Sat 18-Feb-17 18:35:38

I've got a posh party next weekend. Got a dress but it isn't warm enough to wear by itself. It doesn't really work with a jacket and been struggling to find a bolero style cardi to wear that works with the top of the dress. I've got a pashmina that would work colour wise, but I have no idea if these are fashionable or acceptable anymore!
Any opinions?

ScarletForYa Sat 18-Feb-17 18:38:16

Horribly!

PastysPrincess Sat 18-Feb-17 18:41:58

Erm I hope not I have quite a few for weddings mainly.

MargotLovedTom1 Sat 18-Feb-17 18:54:15

Posh parties aren't really the type of place to be worrying about being fashion forward are they? wink Sophisticated and elegant etc maybe. I think you'll be fine

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sat 18-Feb-17 19:10:50

I have dozens. "Fashion" isn't designed for warmth. Wear them with pride!

WiggleYourWoo Sat 18-Feb-17 19:39:36

I hope not! I have a dozen really beautiful ones and actually wore one to a restaurant a couple of weeks ago.

Laquila Sat 18-Feb-17 19:43:00

They remind me of formal dinners and balls at uni 15 years ago, bit that's not to say they're definitively horribly unfashionable. I had some good looks back then! Having said that, I wouldn't wear one nowadays - I have an fitted, short, ivory notch-neck lapel blazer from H&M that is surprisingly versatile for formal stuff, either over dresses or with midi skirts. I've also worn my dark grey leather biker jacket to a wedding but it's definitely not suitable for all types of formal occasion.

Fuzzypeggy Sat 18-Feb-17 19:45:16

I don't think they're fashionable but for an elegant evening event I don't think anyone would bat an eyelid

MrsMeeseeks Sat 18-Feb-17 19:47:33

I don't think they are fashionable but then I don't think it matters as long as you feel good in what you're wearing.

I know what you mean about bolero cardigans, it's hard to find lovely ones.

Enidblyton1 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:49:33

Hmmm I've never really thought about it, but now you mention, I've not worn a pashmina to a wedding/party for at least 5 years. These days I wear a smart leather jacket (my guilty pleasure being that I have 4 of them in different colours for different occasions!).
But I would never look at someone in a pashmina and think it was unfashionable.

humanfemale Sat 18-Feb-17 19:51:58

Think they've come full circle! I work with a 24 year old fashion graduate and she wore one to a ball a couple of weeks ago.

SwearyGodmother Sat 18-Feb-17 20:03:29

I think they're more fashionable than bolero cardigans. But I'm old enough to want to be warm and comfortable rather than edgy.

bojorojo Sat 18-Feb-17 22:56:35

I think a pashmina is fine for a smart occasion but a short decent fake fur jacket is better. They go with every dress!

Nettletheelf Sun 19-Feb-17 00:40:14

Yes, sorry. They are part of the 'unimaginative going to the races/a wedding and dressing a bit posh' uniform, along with small fascinators.

Will you need a cover up whilst you're at the event, if it's indoors? I don't like being cold, but I'd find a more modern alternative than the pashmina hanging off the shoulders look.

RonaldMcDonald Sun 19-Feb-17 03:53:36

Pashminas are in the same pile as fascinators shiny fabric and not dancing at the wedding disco
Dire

FrustratedFrugal Sun 19-Feb-17 06:14:17

Pashminas died when street vendors started hawking 10€ acrylic versions of them. If you have a beautiful, exquisite one, wear it with pride, but most of them look and feel like airline blankets.

Rosa Sun 19-Feb-17 06:37:21

I have a couple and still use them..mainly for flying but if in an elegant situation I think they look fine .

Paninotogo Sun 19-Feb-17 06:41:33

Yes, hideous. My nan wears pashminas! As previously suggested a short fur would be so cute.

Semaphorically Sun 19-Feb-17 06:57:21

I don't think they're dated because I'm not convinced they were ever very fashionable. But they're very unflattering unless you're really careful about how you wear them - they tend to make the whole of someone's top half look mono-boob and blobby. I wear mine as scarves now, mostly, rather than around my shoulders.

Semaphorically Sun 19-Feb-17 07:00:26

Would a jacket work?

BabyHamster Sun 19-Feb-17 07:17:13

I don't think anyone would bat an eyelid at a formal event. Bolero cardigans are more obviously "dated" but I was at a wedding last weekend and saw several women of different ages wearing them.

citychick Sun 19-Feb-17 07:29:55

to me it's a matter of style, rather than fashion . if your.scarf/pashmina suits your outfit then wear it. if a faux fur coat looks better wear that .

i live in Asia and due to freezing aircon year round most of us carry a pashmina style scarf to keep off the chill of the air inside.

IMO bolero jackets are not sylish ar all.

i dont think anyone will mind.

enjoy the party!

Pistachiois50pmore Sun 19-Feb-17 07:36:11

Oversized blanket scarves like the Acne Canada are v fashionable. To be honest, they're not a million miles away from a pashmina but you'd never admit that in fashion circles! It's an attitude thing - calling it a pashmina is late 90s/Sloaney, but you can have a massive piece of warm wool in your outfit and still be hip.

SallyGinnamon Sun 19-Feb-17 07:53:00

Who cares?

Remember there's a big difference between fashion and actual style!

CaroleService Sun 19-Feb-17 10:01:32

Yes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now