Talk

Advanced search

How can you teach yourself to walk in high heels?

(40 Posts)
CherrySkull Sat 18-Feb-17 17:11:42

I have just acquired a pair of Irregular Choice 'Nick of Time' shoes, they're fucking GORGEOUS.. but I can't walk in heels that high, I have pairs of ICs with the lower heel (dazzles and ban joe) so DH thought i'd love these too (and I do, lots, just HIGH HEEL)

I am not going to give them up, they were a gift, but equally I don't want to leave them mouldering in the box, these are made to be worn and shown off!

So how do I learn to walk without falling arse over tit?

CherrySkull Sat 18-Feb-17 17:13:11

www.irregularchoice.com/us/media/catalog/product/cache/12/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/4/1/4135-14t_1.jpg

its these ones!

SummerHouse Sat 18-Feb-17 17:15:09

Its like rolling your tounge. You can either do it or you can't. Its in your genes.

I can't.

namechange20050 Sat 18-Feb-17 17:15:38

Hate to put a dampner on things but I am a seasoned high heel wearer. I have loads of 4 inchers. But the high heels I bought from irregular choice were so difficult to walk in that I had to eBay them.

originalbiglymavis Sat 18-Feb-17 17:17:07

Score the souls and practice inside until you feel confident. Pack some flats just in case!

CherrySkull Sat 18-Feb-17 17:17:23

I used to be able to walk in heels, I had skyscrapers with 3/4 inches of heel when I was about 19/20 ish. I then went through a goth/emo phase and lived in trainers and Dr Martens and skate shoes for a few years.

This last couple of years I've been trying to be more ladylike again, so the heels are back, but i'm struggling to walk in them again!

PinPon Sat 18-Feb-17 17:18:36

Go to the supermarket and practice walking the aisles in heels while pushing a shopping trolley. You can lean on the trolley for support and balance, plus you get the weekly shop done!

originalbiglymavis Sat 18-Feb-17 17:19:37

I'm always running to catch trains and it's all cobbles near my office, so heels are a nightmare.

Shallishanti Sat 18-Feb-17 17:20:43

seriously, why?
shoes are for your feet
your feet are for walking
shoes that prevent you walking....well, they hardly qualify as shoes IMO.

EatsLeavesAndShit Sat 18-Feb-17 17:21:45

So pretty!

I'm struggling in heels at the moment because I'm not fully recovered from a foot injury, but I think if you practice enough you can do it.

Take much smaller strides than you would normally and try to land your foot heel-toe, rather than flat. Would you be able to get a cheap pair of boots with the same height heel to practice on? Try to do everything in heels then you will adapt and get feet like Barbie. Once you've completely mastered boots then you can move on to strapped heels, then slip ons.

I may have put too much thought into this

SnugglySnerd Sat 18-Feb-17 17:24:08

My feet are hurting just thinking about it. You need some of those gel pads to cushion them a bit.

LadyOfTheCanyon Sat 18-Feb-17 17:27:15

I have loads of pairs of IC shoes and they aren't the easiest but they do hold your feet really tightly so you don't have to worry about your feet slipping out. The heels are chunky so you also don't have to worry about going flying on a spindly heel.
YouTube has lots of " how to walk in heels" tutorials and the principle is the same in all of them: short measured steps, put your heel down first and roll forward onto your toe.
It gets easier - it's just practice!!

ComicSans Sat 18-Feb-17 17:27:43

I'm with Shallishanti. The question isn't how, but why? Can you imagine a male-centric forum in which a bunch of men were discussing wearing shoes that needed to be practised for by going up and down a supermarket aisle with a trolley for support, or only taking very short steps, and which meant you couldn't easily walk on uneven surfaces, run or walk quickly, or stand for long?

OP, can you return to your Goth/Elmo days, or be ladylike in flats?

VenusRising Sat 18-Feb-17 17:27:52

Well there are some exercises you can do to stretch your foot.

You need flexible ankles, and a flexible toe joint.

Stretch your ankles by pointing your toes, but leave your toes relaxed (or you will cramp)
Sit on your feet, tuck them under and sit on them to stretch your ankles.

For toes : press your toes into the floor and "stand " on the balls of your feet. You need flexibility in this joint if you're going to walk in hh.

When sitting at your desk, take off your shoes and stretch your leg out straight behind you. Keep the ball of your foot on the floor and stretch out your toes. Like a lunge but sitting! You can lunge while standing too.

Having a pair of hh for dinner and boudoir isn't the worst thing in the world if the exercises don't stretch your foot enough.

Those who naturally can walk in heels usually have high insteps and high arches. If your foot is flatter, you'll have more trouble, even with the exercises.... and the advantage of having flatter feet like this is that you know you're never going to be a good runner or sprinter either, so no point beating yourself up about not doing athletics or marathons..... just hit the pool for exercise!

LoupGarou Sat 18-Feb-17 17:28:55

If you loosen your hips and swing your legs from the hip when you walk, and as pp said put heel down first, but snap your foot quickly so it doesn't go heeeel --- toe but heeltoe. Not sure that makes sense but it does in my head! confused. Also make sure you feet are parallel, not toes or heels turned out and that you are placing your weight squarely in the centre of your foot, not walking on the edges of your foot.

They are stunning shoes smile

LoupGarou Sat 18-Feb-17 17:31:14

Oh yes, and keep your back straight (not ramrod tense though) and your head up, and make sure you aren't sticking your bum out as you go!

ShoutOutToMyEx Sat 18-Feb-17 17:31:37

Practice is all it takes. And remembering heel, toe, heel, toe.

There's not much I can't do in heels. wink

CherrySkull Sat 18-Feb-17 17:33:17

I still love my trainers, but I also wear a lot of 50s dresses from Lindy, they look fabulous with IC's, I have 7 pairs now, all of them are the mid heel height which i'm fine with!

I just haven't walked on heels this high in a long time.

As to WHY? because I feel good with them on my feet smile I love shoes, and I love alternative looks, I have about 30 pairs of shoes that are flat, ballet flats, skate shoes, DM's, converse, dunlops hi tops, military style ankle boots, bear fur furry ones....etc.

I've been a size 26 for the last 10 years, i'm on a diet and in 6 weeks have lost 16lbs. These Nicks were DH's 'well done' gift to me because he can see how good I feel.

Its just a matter of remember and re-training my body to walk in them confidently enough!

Ifonlyiweretaller Sat 18-Feb-17 17:40:44

Well done on the weight loss Cherry - what's your secret? And i love those shoes...what a lovely, thoughtful DH you have!

Ilovetorrentialrain Sat 18-Feb-17 17:52:04

Ooh maybe just wear them around the house as much as poss first. I love heels and totally get the idea of joy wearing them - even though they're hardly orthopedic! That's not the point.

You've done it before so there is lots of hope for the muscle memory. Enjoy them!

CherrySkull Sat 18-Feb-17 17:55:38

Ifonly

literally eat less/better and move more!

I've basically cut out scoffing crisps, chocolate, cakes and sweets. I allow myself 1 fun sized bag of chocolate buttons a day and my Chinese takeaway on a Friday, so i'm not depriving myself completely, less likely to fail that way!

I'm eating more fruit and Veg, and meat like chicken and fish. I've also cut down on portion sizes of meals with pasta and potato in. My calorie intake is about 1200-1500 now, but I try to keep it down to the lower end.

I try to exercise 3-4 times a week, either 30 lengths of the swimming pool or a 30min work out the Gym on a set routine that works everything.

I also came off my pill as I've been on it since I had DD 8 years ago and DH had the snip.

Its pretty much just fell off me!

Chipsandonionrings Sat 18-Feb-17 18:03:11

Stunning shoes! I have had to teach myself again after a length rehab period from sciatica and small children! Echo everything above and loose hips, I have quite a wiggle when I walk in heels. If you can't get on with them post them to meeee!

Ifonlyiweretaller Sat 18-Feb-17 18:16:37

A very sensible diet plan there Cherry. The good old eat less/move more at its best. And allowing yourself your 'treats' means you are more likely to stick to the plan. I need to think along those lines.
I am well impressed with you swimming 30 lengths, I can just about manage one!
Good luck with the wiggle walking!

Love51 Sat 18-Feb-17 18:22:07

You could walk everywhere like it's a cat walk and do toe-heel. Like 'eats' said, just don't try to put your feet down flat.
Also, just wear them for short periods, and build up.

specialsubject Sat 18-Feb-17 18:23:39

You can walk in them, but arse out clumping is not a good look, just watch the models. Add the 'my feet hurt ' face and it is rough as guts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now