Talk

Advanced search

What should I be using on my face??

(10 Posts)
Somehowsomewhere Sat 18-Feb-17 12:46:43

I need some help with a skincare routine. I basically have no idea what is 'good'.
Last year I bought a cleanser, toner and moisturiser from Clarins, which seemed fine. However I went for a facial and the therapist asked if what I was using was 'creamy' (it was) as it seemed like it was too heavy for my skin. She talked conned me into buying a cleanser from there which was fine, but my skin didn't seem any better or worse than it did with the Clarins. After that I used Nutriganics from the Body Shop. Again fine but my skin still felt a bit clogged up.
My skin is fine overall, id say it's 'normal' but I develop milia if I don't exfoliate properly and get hormonal spots just before my period.
Anyone got any recommendations for a really effective skin care routine?
I'm 32 by the way.

BifsWif Sat 18-Feb-17 12:52:25

I have used everything on my skin. Dermalogica, clarins, Elemis, simple. Everything.

I have combination skin, slightly dry in area and prone to outbreaks around my chin and cheeks when I'm on my period.

I've been using Superdrug's Vitamin E hot cloth cleanser alongside the nip and fab range. So I use the cleanser every day, the vitamin e toner, Nivea moisturiser and the nip and fab glycolic pads before bed. I also use the nip and fab glycolic scrub twice a week, nip and fab eye cream and the overnight clearing gel. My skin has never looked better. It's all usually on offer at superdrug too.

Somehowsomewhere Sat 18-Feb-17 12:56:47

Thank you! I'll check them out.

LadyOfTheCanyon Sat 18-Feb-17 17:45:20

If you're getting milia then your skin cream maybe too heavy/creamy or you're not removing it well enough. Start using a BHA ( salicylic acid) toner to help clean inside the pores as well as exfoliate, which should sort the milia ( you'll be able to squeeze them out)

Somehowsomewhere Sat 18-Feb-17 17:57:28

Thank you, yeah I squeeze them out (well DH does blush). I'll look into BHA toners.

Chocolou Sat 18-Feb-17 18:44:40

If they're proper milia you won't be able to squeeze them out. A proper milia needs removing by gently piercing the skin then you can squeeze it out and it will come out in a hard pearly ball.

LadyOfTheCanyon Sat 18-Feb-17 18:47:23

Paula's choice do a few.

Somehowsomewhere Sun 19-Feb-17 08:00:39

Yes Chocolou that's what I do. I had some removed professionally before my wedding and she showed me how to do it myself.

Dulcimena Sun 19-Feb-17 08:54:52

Re milia, I find it more satisfying to leave them alone, let them reach the surface and then roll them off. It's a lovely feeling when they lift off and come away. Haven't had one for years though, sadly.

pinkblink Sun 19-Feb-17 08:59:02

Micellar water, my skin has never been better

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now