Talk

Advanced search

Help I know nothing about make up!

(17 Posts)
drivingmisspotty Sat 18-Feb-17 11:25:12

I am due to be a bridesmaid in a few weeks. Lovely bride has said she wants everyone to be comfortable so 'we'll all just do our own make up'.

I quite often just go without or on a good day I manage some bb cream and a lipgloss I picked up at the counter in lidl blush. I find I can't really wear eye make up now as my eyes just get red and watery straight away.

I really want to make an effort for this special event. But I don't really know where to start. Can anyone give me some beginners tips?

And ps my budget is £30-40.

hyacinthwannabe Sat 18-Feb-17 11:30:48

Watch YouTube videos and take recommendations from there. Also there is a great page on Facebook called Mrs gloss and the goss it's full of great make up tips and the members are make up gurus xx

Guitargirl Sat 18-Feb-17 11:32:40

I was also going to suggest YouTube - be careful though - it can be strangely addictive!

BillyButtfuck Sat 18-Feb-17 11:36:01

What's your bridesmaid dress like OP and how will your hair be?

BusterGonad Sat 18-Feb-17 15:03:37

If I were you I'd go to a counter like No7, get matched up to a foundation, cream eyeshadow, lipstick and blusher. Ask the lady to teach you to apply the basics so you can be a more polished version of you, they (No7) also do a mascara for sensitive eyes.

drivingmisspotty Sat 18-Feb-17 17:17:20

Thanks everyone for your replies. Sorry I went out to park and only just checking in.

Will had a look at that Mrs Gloss and YouTube. Maybe I will even summon up all my courage and visit the make up counter!

Billy my dress is navy with some metallic red embroidery (it probably sounds awful but it is really lovely!) It is lowish cut and long. My hair will be down with a pin thing in it I think.

Kirriemuir Sat 18-Feb-17 18:46:37

With your budget I'd second a visit to the number 7 counter in boots. They will colour match foundation and lipstick. You can get other bits and pieces there too.

Ilovetorrentialrain Sat 18-Feb-17 18:58:37

Hi OP for the budget I can seriously recommend going to a make up counter (I'd always choose Bobbi Brown but others will be good too) and getting your make up done professionally.

Is that something you'd consider / have time for on the morning?

I did this for a wedding last year (I was a guest) and felt fab / was pleased when looking at photos etc.

Bobbi Brown was £30 (think fairly typical for other counters) but redeemable against purchases and money well spent IMO.

AutumnRose1988 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:10:43

IMO go to a make up counter (max factor or perhaps L'Oréal something like those) and invest in a good lightweight foundation and concealer (if needed) and ask to be shown how to apply etc. Then, as you are not a make up wearer, get a shimmery cream/beige colour eye shadow that you can apply all over the lid and a bit of mascara along with the slightest bit of blusher that suits your skin tone and perhaps the tiniest sweep of bronzer from each side of your nose up to your forehead and a little lip gloss and you will look fab. X remember everything just needs to be very subtle and minimal especially as it sounds like you don't need it!

Kirriemuir Sat 18-Feb-17 19:30:42

Sorry, I disagree with anything shimmery as it will reflect the flash in the photography.

AutumnRose1988 Sat 18-Feb-17 20:57:37

Eh? That's daft. I have had a subtle shimmery/glittery eyeshadow in the corner of my eye in virtually every pic I have had taken. It's used to open up the eye and illuminate the brow bone. We are not talking disco ball eyes just a subtle sweep.

Is that professional advice or just something you think will happen because I've never ha a make up artist tell me that nor have I noticed it on any picture of myself.

Kirriemuir Sat 18-Feb-17 21:00:17

Shimmer will reflect light. As will products like touché eclat and some foundations like double wear. Double wear can make you look like a corpse in pictures.

Semaphorically Sat 18-Feb-17 21:04:07

If you have an allergic reaction to eye makeup then you should look for a hypo-allergenic range and definitely try it out before the wedding to be sure. No 7 have a sensitive range that might work?

buddy79 Sat 18-Feb-17 21:08:07

The Lisa Eldridge website is really good and has short video tutorials on how to create certain looks but also things like 'how to apply foundation', 'how to choose a lipstick' etc, although some of the products she uses are a bit pricey. Enjoy!

AutumnRose1988 Sat 18-Feb-17 21:16:36

I agree with the wrong foundation or touché eclat but a small amount of eyeshadow that is essentially just 'not matte' never caused anyone a problem. I think you are taking that idea a bit too far as it's such a small amount on a small surface area. It will enhance not do what you think it will do.

drivingmisspotty Sat 18-Feb-17 22:52:22

Thanks everyone! Actually thinking I might enjoy this now... Will perhaps take a picture to check for shine!

I won't have time to get make up done on the morning but if they can show me how I can copy, I have a while to practice.

drivingmisspotty Mon 27-Feb-17 22:31:41

Just wanted to say thanks again especially to everyone who suggested no 7. I went to the counter and was really pleased with what they did. I spent over budget blush but I got an actual red lipstick that doesn't make me feel like a clown. Hooray!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now