Talk

Advanced search

I'd like some opinions on primers please

(16 Posts)
Notrevealingmyidentity Sat 18-Feb-17 10:56:09

Just that. Are they worth it ? Do they even do anything ? What are they for ?

And can anyone recommend a decent cheap one ?

Thanks smile

Notrevealingmyidentity Sat 18-Feb-17 11:16:32

Anyone ?

Kirriemuir Sat 18-Feb-17 11:29:12

I've not found my holy grail yet but I do like Laura mercier primers. Porefessional from benefit made my foundation look really chalky. Smash box is good too.

Fabellini Sat 18-Feb-17 11:35:10

I took dsd for a make up lesson with a professional make up artist as part of her birthday last year. She was fantastic and told dsd about loads of products that were within the budget of a 16 year old with a Saturday job, but, in make up artists opinion, still good quality. She recommended L'Oreal primer, and dsd has been using it ever since. I borrowed some last week when my much more expensive one had run out, and I couldn't tell the difference!

Notrevealingmyidentity Sat 18-Feb-17 11:35:26

I've heard good things about her stuff. I've got partly oily partly dry skin so I'd be wary of the benefit stuff.

I might try a smash box.

wobblywonderwoman Sat 18-Feb-17 11:36:47

I have thought the same - but I bought Revlon colorstay foundation and primer and am very happy with the coverage.

Notrevealingmyidentity Sat 18-Feb-17 12:10:14

What do they actually do ?

user99009960546 Sat 18-Feb-17 12:13:42

I Lille clarines burry flash bank looks lovely under make up but I only use it for going out

Not had much luck with s everyday product I found benefit poressional rubbish it actually make my pores more noticeable

Have heard good things about maybeline baby skin

Postagestamppat Sat 18-Feb-17 12:21:29

I've tried a few and it varies in their effect. Some make your face more matt like avon's and the benefit pore one. But others like smash box make it easier for the foundation to glide on. I haven't found any difference in terms of appearance or length of time that it last for especially. But having said that I do like the fact that I can use a thinner layer as I feel less caked (although using a different foundation might take care of that anyway). Now I don't bother and just apply foundation on top of suncream. I couldn't tell the difference between factor 50 and the smash box primer after foundation had been put on.

Halfwayupahill Sat 18-Feb-17 12:27:28

Bare Minerals, Prime Time, great product.

Aderyn2016 Sat 18-Feb-17 12:35:07

I've just bought max factor smooth miracle primer. It has stopped my foundation from looking all bobbly and feels a bit more moisturising and less dry and cakey than some of the others I tested. Also quite like the No7 Airbrush Away primer. It kept my foundation looking decent for the whole day.

Notrevealingmyidentity Sat 18-Feb-17 19:55:26

I've bought a cheap one. Will report back !

TeddyIsaHe Sat 18-Feb-17 19:57:50

The Ordinary silicone primer is fab and only £4 or so.
No7 poreless primer in the blue tube is my current favourite, really fills in the pores around my nose and makes my makeup look amazing.

Softkitty2 Sat 18-Feb-17 21:21:42

I really liked the charlotte T wonderglow however it's £38 and not suitable for all day wear because I have oily skin--but beautiful on the skin if you have normal or maybe even dry skin.

So, I went on a primer hunt specifically for a mattifying primer and went to laura mercier, smashbox (the purple primer and the new glowy primer similar to the CT wonderglow), diego della palma, MAC and asked for samples.. All ok ish but nothing great, I have a benefit porefessional sample I havent tried and I have tried a clarins primer previously which was ok.
So far still love the CT wonderglow but my hunt will continue.

peoplepleaser70 Sat 18-Feb-17 21:50:50

Wilkinson do a primer and it makes skin really silky (matte) and helps my nake up stay in place longer. Worth a try for a cheap starter x

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Sat 18-Feb-17 21:58:31

I don't like the silicone primers that are supposed to make your skin more even. They do nothing for my skin and my make up doesn't stay on as well.

I like the Smashbox oil primer, but any good oil would work the same. I quite like Stila primer but it's more of a luxury than a must have for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now