Talk

Advanced search

Shorter styles for long thick, coarse hair -

(5 Posts)
thisgirlrides Sat 18-Feb-17 09:09:28

I have long (bra strap) very thick hair - it's both dense in texture & loads of it - and sick of wearing it in a mumsy ponytail or half-up half-down clip and in desperate need of a cut so thinking about going for something more dramatic.

On Theplus side, it's a nice chestnut brown colour and if we ignore the bottom inch or so, is in good condition but because of the texture I am worried about ending up with a mess that requires daily styling to even look half decent. Ideally I'd have a short bob - my face is a bit podgy for anything really short - but wary of the dreaded triangle shock

Is this a bad idea? Anyone else done it & love it or regret it?

QueenofLouisiana Sat 18-Feb-17 09:24:15

Find a hairdresser who has thick hair themselves! They understand the struggle to get lots of hair to sit in a shape (and don't say annoying things about how great it is to have lovely thick hair).

I have lots of hair, usually plaited or rolled when long as pony tails are too heavy. I've had it bobbed and shaped with graduated layers and thinning out the bottom. It holds its style for 8 weeks which is a revelation. I've also had colours put through to beak up any blocky tendencies.

slinkysaluki Sat 18-Feb-17 09:32:54

I have very thick course hair which I have worn in a short inverted Bob for the last few years. Because a lot if the weight is taken out at the back it's easier to manage and style. I have recently found Tresemme Keratin shampoo and conditioner which is really good for smoothing and softening the hair. My hair tends to be quite dry and feels worse because it's so coarse. I also put a small amount if serum on when it's damp and then blow-dry. I run a tiny amount over when it's dry just to smooth any hair that sticks up. I've had very long hair past my boobs and whilst it looks lovely it was a nightmare to wash and was very heavy. Bob's on thick hair shouldn't be mushroom like if they are cut correctly.

Larainette Sat 18-Feb-17 10:04:33

I second finding a hairdresser that understands thick hair. You could try a long bob if the hairdresser thins it out a little for you.

MissFoodie Sat 18-Feb-17 10:53:43

Are you willing to go very short?
I have crazy wavy thick frizzy hair and loads of it. Have it cropped and is best cut ever, v low maintenance.
You need good hairdresser though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now