Talk

Advanced search

Can you suggest and interview suit?

(21 Posts)
midlifehope Sat 18-Feb-17 09:01:14

I soon have an interview in a university for quite a senior position. I am 2 dcs, down the line - my youngest is under 2 and I'm 40! I have let my hair go 'au nautural' which is silvery grey!

I am top heavy and have good legs! I'm quite tall.

I need a suit that's going to make me look smart and professional at the interview! Please make suggestions!

Also, should I put a colour / toner in my hair, or leave natural?

I want to look experienced, but also still dynamic!

Thanks!

PhyllisWig Sat 18-Feb-17 13:33:51

I'd say leave your hair as is but make sure it looks styled/groomed.

If you won't have to wear a suit much once you get the job the H&M suits are reasonable and cheap. My one from there looks better than anything I've had from other high street places like next and m&s. Tend to be a. It less frumpy too I think.

If it's a job where you'll wear a suit a lot, I'd say worth looking in Hobbs or jigsaw.

Jaeger outlet maybe worth a look too.

ememem84 Sat 18-Feb-17 13:37:18

Warehouse are also good for suits.

homebythesea Sat 18-Feb-17 13:39:52

I think suits are a bit passé. How about a dress/jacket which will be much more versatile as you will be able to wear them separately with other pieces once you start work

midlifehope Sat 18-Feb-17 20:00:26

Hmm, I didn't realise suits were passe - obviously I've been out of things longer than I thought! Does anyone have any pictures of what's current??

beeny Sat 18-Feb-17 20:02:54

Hobbs has some good stuff at the moment and John Lewis do some decent suits but it is hit and miss.

Lucked Sat 18-Feb-17 20:05:37

I agree dress and jacket.

Winser are good for dresses. This is a lovely jacket.

Are you happy grey? I would just be happy with my hair but worth seeing a good hairdresser prior to interview anyway.

DeterminedToChange Sat 18-Feb-17 20:11:04

I think you should invest in yourself now and go to a department store like John Lewis or Selfridges and getting a personal shopper. I'd speak to a hairdresser, too - I think your hair sound ageing, to be honest. I'd take some advice now and hopefully it'll make you feel great and confident.

DeterminedToChange Sat 18-Feb-17 20:12:15

...and get, I mean!

homebythesea Sat 18-Feb-17 23:05:57

So just taking Warehouse as an example:

This dress with a black blazer
www.warehouse.co.uk/gb/clothing/dresses/ditsy-floral-ponte-dress/028556.html?dwvar_028556_color=76&position=5&cgid=dresses#prefn1=refinementcategory&prefv1=shift+dresses&start=5&categoryID=dresses

This dress on its own with some great accessories
www.warehouse.co.uk/gb/clothing/dresses/crepe-wrap-dress/028812.html?dwvar_028812_color=36&position=10&cgid=dresses#prefn1=refinementcategory&prefv1=shift+dresses&start=10&categoryID=dresses

This with a navy blazer
www.warehouse.co.uk/gb/clothing/dresses/box-pleat-animal-print-dress/028404.html?dwvar_028404_color=99&position=22&cgid=dresses#prefn1=refinementcategory&prefv1=shift+dresses&page=2&start=22&categoryID=dresses

bojorojo Sat 18-Feb-17 23:37:32

The Daily Telegraph has an excellent piece on interview style. Not a dress there! They very much opt for stylish trousers and a chic shirt with classy accessories. You can wear a coat in winter. You don't need a jacket. They also show patterned skirts and a plain shirt. Lower heels and a quality bag.

I would not worry so much about hair colour but a good cut is imperative.

My DD wears suits for work and she likes LK Bennett and she is fairly top heavy. I think they do very well cut trousers!

midlifehope Sun 19-Feb-17 07:15:15

Borojo - do you have a link to the telegraph feature?

MrsNuckyThompson Sun 19-Feb-17 07:22:50

I have a similar shape to yours - tall, big of boob and decent legs. Tummy not so much! I find that suits really doesn't work for me - I have to buy then jackets much too big in order to avoid straining over the chest area and then they tend to look boxy and gape in the wrong places.

For me a smart dress is a much better look. I've often had success in Hobbs for these. They are not cheap but last really well and suit my shape. Either to wear with a shirt under or with a smart, slimline cardi over the top.

ThisIsNotARealAvo Sun 19-Feb-17 07:45:54

Agree with pp that if you are too heavy (as I am) jackets can look awful. A dress or trousers and shirt or skirt and shirt can look just as mart and professional. Get some shoes you feel confident in and a great bag. Good luck with the interview!

PumpingRSI Sun 19-Feb-17 07:52:35

If it's university, be wary of looking too corporate / unapproachable. If you are in v make dominated sphere be careful with ditzy floral print dresses. Smart, stylish, flashes of colour. Agree with pp that tailored trousers, crisp shirt or smart top, poss low heeled shoe, poss blazer with statement jewellery or accessories may fit better in academia. Good luck!

midlifehope Tue 21-Feb-17 14:05:19

Thanks Pumping, I'm going to avoid dresses for the reasons you suggest.

Can I ask ppl, would tweedy, be wrong? www.houseofbruar.com/ladies/jackets/tweed/

PeachMelba78 Tue 21-Feb-17 14:26:29

I work in a Uni and I wore a pale blue pencil skirt, plain off white top and off white jacket for interview, along with leopard print heels - however my job is on the more corporate end of the Uni.
If it is a more academic post then trousers or a skirt is fine, a top and jacket or a coat and longer sleeved top like a blouse would be good. You could wear a cardigan as long as it was more tailored. I would wear a nice scarf or earrings for a bit of interest, but definitely not a suit as that would be far too formal.
Good luck!

PeachMelba78 Tue 21-Feb-17 14:27:44

I have looked at your link and the long herringbone is the only one which I think would work, otherwise I think it makes a very strong statement.

Lucked Tue 21-Feb-17 19:45:27

I think some of those jackets would work well with a plain dress underneath.

Options would be the fringe jacket in all colours. The tailored hacking jacket (the solid blue and solid green are most appropriate.) possibly the riding jacket in the solid brown and the long herringbone coat.

midlifehope Tue 21-Feb-17 20:45:15

not the patch one then? smile I think I have outlandish tastes!

PeachMelba78 Wed 22-Feb-17 13:39:07

No, not for interview unless you feel really good in it.
For me, the leopard heels made me feel different in a good way, and gave me confidence that it made me stand out a little bit.
Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now