Talk

Advanced search

Dr Martens?

(26 Posts)
SomewhereNow Sat 18-Feb-17 07:45:41

I really fancy a pair of these - shoes not boots - don't think I could pull those off any more plus teen DD wears them. I used to live in them when I was younger and I think they'd still suit my style now - I'm no longer a scruffy art student but I dress pretty casually - jeans, sweatshirts, plainish dresses with opaques etc.

Any thoughts? Or ideas of where to get them at a good price - they're eye wateringly expensive now!

F1nbarSaunders Sat 18-Feb-17 08:06:26

I bought a pair of dm boots a couple of weeks ago- am mid forties, my pre-teen wears them and I don't care- I love them! I got the 'newton' ones, they are ankle lace up boots but soft leather and more of a wedge type heel so not exactly the same as the traditional style. Go for it.

moonchild77 Sat 18-Feb-17 08:20:24

I'm nearly 40 and I live in mine. Most comfy boots ever.

moonchild77 Sat 18-Feb-17 08:21:09

Have a look on Amazon. I got my daughter a par for school £30 cheaper than the shops.

CMOTDibbler Sat 18-Feb-17 08:34:02

I'm 44 and have just bought my first docs for a good 20 years (I have haad some high heeled doc shoes and boots in the interim tbf) - I wanted some boots I could walk into town in, walk in the park, quick walk by the river and still be comfortable.

As I wasn't sure on sizing etc, I got some preloved ones on ebay to start with which also had the advantage of being broken in. Love them, and got some barely worn red patent ones yesterday

IHeartKingThistle Sat 18-Feb-17 08:36:09

I have desert boot style DMs with flowers on. They are amazing.

cherrytree63 Sat 18-Feb-17 08:36:54

I'm 53 and just bought another pair of DM boots to add to my collection!

SavoyCabbage Sat 18-Feb-17 08:37:49

They sometimes have them in TKmaxx. On the website I mean.

Notapodling Sat 18-Feb-17 08:38:12

I'm nearly 40 and I wear mine most days.

Spottytop1 Sat 18-Feb-17 08:41:21

Try eBay I'm late 30's and got a virtually new pair on there at a great price

SomewhereNow Sat 18-Feb-17 08:47:27

Thank you all, glad I'm not the only DM lover!

Has anyone been to their factory shop near Northampton? I'm not far from there so am considering a trip but suspect it might be all unusual styles/colours/sizes - ime outlets rarely have the classics that everyone is after.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Sat 18-Feb-17 08:51:03

I'm over 50 and have 3 pairs. They are brilliant. I always buy them a size too big and they are almost unbelievably comfortable.

Floisme Sat 18-Feb-17 09:19:16

I'm 60 and I've had the shoes and the ankle boots for 25 years. Not worn them continuously but I've always come back to them. Right now I think the ankle boots look great with cropped jeans. The shoes have been dormant since I gave up wearing short skirts - I need to figure out a different way of wearing them.

Can't advice on price as I'm saving up for some Made in England ones - I'm hankering after the 8-hole boots in Oxblood. So few companies manufacture in the uk so I'd like to support that, plus they'll probably last me the rest of my life so I think they're worth the cost.

As for your daughter; I think that if teenagers don't want to dress like their parents (which I quite understand) then it's up to them to move on, not us.

SomewhereNow Sat 18-Feb-17 09:48:28

Haha I agree about teens - was only teasing her yesterday that they need to invent some trends of their own as she went out dressed in jeans, DMs and bomber jacket just like I did at her age!

Floisme Sat 18-Feb-17 09:54:52

I tell my son's friends the same thing. I'm happy for young people to borrow my clothes if they want to, but I draw the line when they try and claim them as their own!

weaselwords Sat 18-Feb-17 10:03:46

I desperately covet a pair of the patent ones. I cannot afford them. sulks

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sat 18-Feb-17 10:08:36

I've been to the factory shop, it's not as cheap as it used to be though - used to get boots for £30 and shoes for £25, now they are more pricey but still most things are cheaper than in the main stores. I had new tartan boots for Xmas and they were £75, DH got some canvas shoes for driving for £15.

PersonalClown Sat 18-Feb-17 10:25:38

Erm 38 here and collect DMs and Converse.

I can indulge in my love of shoes and still be comfortable.

SunsetBeetch Sat 18-Feb-17 10:26:27

I have a pair of Flora Lux chelsea boots in light grey. I love them, so comfy! They have an almond-shaped toe so are less 'clumpy' than classic DMs, which I like as I have big feet and skinny ankles, and don't look too ridiculous in them. I wear them with jeans, skirts and dresses. I don't think they sell them on the DM site any more though (I got them in the sale).

SunsetBeetch Sat 18-Feb-17 10:32:02

I LOVE these bandana print boots!

Pascal Bandana

CateGory8 Sat 18-Feb-17 12:21:33

I'm 46 and live in converse and DM's. I'm ashamed to say that I have 4 different colours of converse and over 15 pairs of DM's. I never set out to collect DM's but I always seem to gravitate towards them as I find them comfortable.

CountFosco Sun 19-Feb-17 00:12:43

Last year DH bought me my first pair of DMs (purple ones) for about 20 years (I'm mid 40s). They are the boots I wear every weekend now, I love them so much, they make me walk with a bounce! I wear them with jeans (rolled up a bit) or with miniskirts and opaques. Everyone around my age goes all misty eyed when they see my DMs. And all the young ones are wearing them as well!

Flambola Sun 19-Feb-17 00:36:51

I have some Siano DMs that I wear for work and I love them. They look great with tapered trousers.

SmartyPants0 Sun 19-Feb-17 07:47:35

I've been eyeing up the sandals...
Just love these smile

I nearly killed a thread on here when I posted a photo of them... great to know other people love them too

SomewhereNow Sun 19-Feb-17 07:56:50

Thanks all, I'm decided. I think they'll go with so much of what I wear and liven up my boring wardrobe, can't wait to get them now smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now