Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone regretted Invisalign?

(19 Posts)
sycamore54321 Fri 17-Feb-17 21:36:46

Just that really. Am considering Invisalign for slightly crooked front teeth - mostly because I'm too vain and self conscious to do full braces. I know full proper orthodontic treatment is the gold standard for a perfect bite but I just want a prettier smile. There isn't much cost difference in Invisalign or proper orthodontics but I'm leaning towards the former as it's less intrusive while treatment is underway. Has anyone done this and regretted it afterwards? Thanks.

Kirriemuir Fri 17-Feb-17 21:37:32

No. 3 years since I had mine. No regrets at all best £1k I spent.

ToElleWithIt Fri 17-Feb-17 21:42:08

I don't regret Invisalign per se, but if I was doing it again I'd go for ordinary fixed braces. Invisalign got the same results but took way longer than projected with all the revisions, new molds etc. I had lots of attachments too so the effect wasn't nearly as invisible as I expected. It took nearly 2 years wheras of have been done in 6 months with fixed braces. With hindsight I would have taken the fixed braces for the shorter time (I had them as a teen). Invisalign is very high maintenance too. You really have to wear them for 22 hours a day, bring toothbrush everywhere, no snacking really etc. I'm pleased with the end result though.

schmalex Fri 17-Feb-17 21:42:27

Nope! It's made a massive difference to how I feel about my smile and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Chicinwellies Fri 17-Feb-17 22:25:06

Ha. Also watching with interest. Purely contemplating in the name of vanity so slightly uncomfortable about justifying the ££. Out of interest did you pay in instalments or was this an option, and did the actual cost vary from your consultation quote?

Lalaloopsyscaresme Fri 17-Feb-17 22:26:48

100% no! Best thing I've ever done for myself.

sycamore54321 Sat 18-Feb-17 00:19:16

Thanks for all the replies.

Some more questions. How did you find wearing the trays? Was it painful at any point? How quickly did you get used to them? Any speech issues while wearing them and for how long? How much of a hassle are the retainers after treatment?

I have them now. I think they are great.

No speech issues.

One of the first trays was a little painful but no pain since.

Nobody notices that I have them to be honest. I have top and bottom.

As I need forty trays my dentist has suggested weekly wear which I think is less usual. That said if you Google it if looks as though Invisalign are just starting to promote it.

Kirriemuir Sat 18-Feb-17 07:44:37

Sorry, I've posted about the wrong thing. I had an Inman aligner! Wine had been consumed last night.

ILovePandas Sat 18-Feb-17 17:25:21

I'm getting my first Invisalign tray In a few weeks and cannot wait!
I nearly had train tracks at 17 but decided not to as told I would need 4 teeth out and didn't fancy it so convinced myself they weren't that bad. Fast forward 21 years and have always wished I'd gone ahead. However I don't need the 4 teeth out for the Invisalign so maybe it was the right choice after all.
I've paid upfront as there was a big discount but monthly options were available.

ChopsticksandChilliCrab Sat 18-Feb-17 17:51:10

I had Invisalign for 8 months last year and am thrilled to bits with the result.

It was sometimes a bit uncomfortable for the first hour or two of a new tray but other than that was fine. My speech wasn't affected. It was nice to be able to remove the brace for a bit each day.

Regarding retainers- I have had a thin metal retainer cemented onto the inside of my top teeth so my teeth don't move again.

Humphriescushion Sat 18-Feb-17 18:29:55

I am only sorry I did not do it earlier. I had it done 4 years ago and it has made a huge difference to my face and confidence. I found them a little uncomfortable when I had to change them - which was every two weeks for me - but nothing much. No-one ever seemed to notice that I was wearing them. My teeth are now much better and should stay that way - as long as I wear the retainer occassionaly when I sleep.

sycamore54321 Sun 19-Feb-17 00:01:53

Thanks everyone. This is very reassuring. How long until you noticed an improvement in appearance?

mammmamia Sun 19-Feb-17 01:16:22

I have train track braces right now. I consulted three different places all of whom said Invisalign wasn't right for me, would take the same time and would not get the best result for my particular mouth.
I had two teeth out and now have proper train tracks. I'll have them for 18 months in total.
I would recommend getting a few opinions and seeing a proper orthodontist not just a cosmetic dentist before you decide.

With weekly wear I started to notice a difference in about 4 weeks. It depends a bit I think upon your teeth and the sequence in which the aligners do the job. You get a video of the process so you can see what's happening when also.

PosiePootlePerkins Sun 19-Feb-17 08:16:22

Glad I found this thread! I have had the moulds taken for Invisalign and will be starting when the treatment plan comes back. I would say it is worth shopping around, the first orthodontist I saw (and the most convenient travel wise) quoted almost £1000 more than the one I am going with. Its a 20 minute drive but worth it for the discount. I am a bit nervous about it but have hated my teeth for years so its time to get them sorted. The thing I'm dreading most is cutting down on cups of tea! Apparently you can have tea or coffee but it will stain the trays, so kind of ruins the invisible element.

Eastpoint Sun 19-Feb-17 08:22:49

I've had a few friends who have had Invisalign & they have each lost about a stone - no snacking really works.

CatOnAWarmTinRoof Sun 19-Feb-17 08:26:26

A friend of mine has got full train tracks and has also lost a stone (which she really doesn't need to)

PosiePootlePerkins Sun 19-Feb-17 10:23:20

Eastpoint I am on the NoS diet, no snacking alllowed except for weekends, I have already lost a stone and am hoping that Invisalign will help me lose more! Win wingrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now