Talk

Advanced search

Wedding make up - best primer, foundation and concealer?

(24 Posts)
goodtimesroll Fri 17-Feb-17 20:09:11

I'm going to do my own wedding make up and would love some recommendations for primer, foundation and concealer which will give good full coverage and last well.

Hoping if I have my skin sorted I'm half way there! What do you think?

Also welcome any other recommendations for eyeshadows, blush/bronzer, highlighters etc :-)

I have "normal" pale-ish skin and I'm going to get lash extensions.

TIA!

goodtimesroll Sun 19-Feb-17 19:55:38

Hopeful bump!

Wellitwouldbenice Sun 19-Feb-17 20:00:55

For full coverage I use Estée Lauder double wear with benefit porefessional primer. I am pale like you. I find Estée Lauder fairly hopeless in colour matching me BUT it was no problem to keep going back for generous samples until I got the right one. It took 8 samples!!! It's great, covers well, lasts all day and doesn't come off all over my clothes.

Monkeyface26 Sun 19-Feb-17 20:05:58

Estée Lauder Doublewear Concealer is excellent. Have a look at their foundations and also Georgio Armani. The shade range is excellent. The most important thing will be to get foundation without spf because it causes flashback in photos.
Urban Decay or Laura Mercier primer.

MissisBoote Sun 19-Feb-17 20:08:56

Lisa Eldridge has a wedding make up tutorial - might be worth a look for product inspiration.

movingtobelfast Sun 19-Feb-17 22:43:41

I think there's a Giorgio Armani foundation that's supposed to be great for photos, something silk? Keep seeing it recommended and meaning to get it. Bobbi brown would prob do a lovely natural trial with products? Otherwise yes I would watch Lisa Eldridge, she had great recommendations.

juliettetango Sun 19-Feb-17 22:45:32

I use bare minerals products and love their primer and foundation. They sell it on QVC and often do tutorials on the show x

daisygirlmac Sun 19-Feb-17 22:48:33

My sister does wedding makeup and absolutely swears by MAC foundation as a base as she says it lasts forever. When she did mine she did MAC as a base foundation then blended some Dior on top I think for a really nice finish. She does normally use two or three different ones blended together to get the right finish so might be worth looking at a few and how they go together

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Sun 19-Feb-17 23:38:32

DO NOT use double wear! It has terrible flashback in photos.

Mac face and body is spf free so doesn't flashback. It's not full coverage, but it's easily layered. I've worn three layers before which was fine, not cakey or anything.

Google 'jamsu' to see how to set your entire face - it works really well!

goodtimesroll Mon 20-Feb-17 09:02:39

Thanks very much! This is really helpful and I've got Lisa Eldridge tutorials on my neverending to do list :-)

kwick Mon 20-Feb-17 09:06:11

good also try "Simply Sona" on Youtube she has a wedding tutorial too.
Any chance you can go to a Space NK and explain dilemma and get them to try stuff out which you then buy? I hear Hourglass is good - but not sure for photos.
Best of luck!

Rioja123 Mon 20-Feb-17 09:07:39

You need to go in and have a chat with a consultant. Bobbi brown do lessons. People on here will recommend you foundations with spf and all sorts, not suitable for wedding make up!

WombattingFree Mon 20-Feb-17 09:59:03

Double wear is good for certain kinds of skin, but it can look quite cakey. There's also numerous dupes for expensive MAC foundations (same as but L'Oréal alternative). Have a look on fb at Mrs Gloss and the Goss. It's a fab group of very lovely supportive women who help each other with beauty. It's got over 40k members so it can move quickly but you can hide it from your timeline so it doesn't chew up your feed.

movingtobelfast Mon 20-Feb-17 16:48:02

In fairness I used the double wear light at my wedding as recommended by a very fancy London makeup artist who gave me a lesson and had no flashback but I still don't think it's the greatest of foundations and some great recommendations here.

emsyj37 Mon 20-Feb-17 17:17:18

I do wedding makeup and my staples are:
Nars light optimising primer (smells amazing, EVERYONE asks what it is and wants to buy it when they smell it)
Face Atelier Ultra Foundation
Daniel Sandler watercolour liquid blush - Flush is a nice shade if you are fair
Light dust of powder - RCMA no colour or Ben Nye banana depending on colouring
Touch of powder blush - Nars Orgasm most often
Setting spray (Kryolan or Urban Decay)
I use Anastasia Dip Brow on almost everyone - taupe on most folk or dark brown if they are very dark
Urban Decay Naked eye pallettes
Mac lipstick mainly, or Charlotte Tilbury Penelope Pink looks good on 99% of people. Very natural.

emsyj37 Mon 20-Feb-17 17:20:10

Oh, concealer - Mac Pro Longwear for eyes and Dermacolor for elsewhere, or Dermablend foundation used as concealer.

user1471503992 Mon 20-Feb-17 17:33:46

Watching as also considering doing my own wedding makeup. I've tried a couple of pore minimising primers that did bugger all to stop foundation sinking in, but discovered that decent skincare (thanks to the fantastic skincare threads) helps prevent sinking. At the moment I like Chanel cc cream for foundation with Mac strobe cream for highlighting cheeks but I'm intrigued to find out if any primers are going to improve it. How does setting spray work? It sounds mad!

user1471503992 Mon 20-Feb-17 17:39:29

do you use setting spray and powder or is it one or the other? I'm planning to have some tutorials and try to pick up tips. I'm frightened of Mac though, the girls look terrifying with their brown painted faces and contouring. Also Mac foundation is too yellow on me. I think Bobbi Brown would be a good place to start, and Chanel, if they do it. Clinique don't do wedding tutorials though, I asked last time I was in John Lewis as I liked the assistant's makeup, they only do eg a smokey eye lesson or a base lesson.

WombattingFree Mon 20-Feb-17 23:22:39

I use powder and setting spray. Infallible by L'Oréal is a good cheap one to get used to it. Holds well too.

With your foundation use a primer, but give it time to sink in. I do primer on my face and eyes, then I'll go make a coffee or do something for 5/10mins whilst I leave it settle.

L'Oréal infallible does a kit in Superdrug with a primer, foundation and setting spray.

I honestly can't recommend Mrs Gloss and the Goss enough. It's such a useful group

goodtimesroll Tue 21-Feb-17 15:49:54

Thank you for all the great suggestions!

fizzybootlace Tue 21-Feb-17 16:03:19

If you are pale and have fairly good skin to start with id recommend Laura Mercier primer and tinted moisturiser and powder. I find most foundation too heavy. Space NK will demo the products but very easy to use. I'd use any new products before the big day to get used to applying them.

I also did my own makeup and was happy I did. The heavy make up is ok when you are by yourself but in photos with dh it can look a bit daft. Same for fake tan when the bride is orange and groom pasty white!

EatsShitAndLeaves Tue 21-Feb-17 16:09:17

Suqqu foundation was a game changer for me.

It's v pricy but lasts for ages and photographs beautifully. They also do a primer for it which is lovely.

Price aside the only downside is it's quite limited in shades.

user1471503992 Wed 22-Feb-17 19:26:28

Thanks Wombatting! I will try that tip for primer.

Sciurus83 Wed 22-Feb-17 21:44:52

Becca back-lit priming filter, wore this on wedding day and it gives beautiful subtle glow and life to the skin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now