Talk

Advanced search

Church's shoes - does anyone have any experience of them?

(8 Posts)
LittleMysMoominMamma Fri 17-Feb-17 19:33:56

Approaching a birthday and I'm obsessing about a pair of Church's brogues - I know they're expensive, but I love the shape and the stunning patent burgundy...
www.church-footwear.com/it/en/collection/women/DE00019AC0F0SXM

Trouble is that I found an article online saying that the quality had depreciated significantly since the company was bought by the Prada group, and lots of comments from disgruntled customers. Of course I can find nothing comparable to this model in any price bracket, so I'd love to hear from anyone on S&B that has any experience of Church's shoes please flowers

AuntiePenguin Fri 17-Feb-17 19:44:03

Yeah the quality has really declined, they don't last well at all now. I used to always get work shoes from there, but now they only last a few months before looking scuffed, threads coming undone, soles wearing thin etc.

ElspethFlashman Fri 17-Feb-17 19:57:44

You're better off getting some Clark's Hamble Oaks. Crazy comfy and very durable. They do new colours every season and have done burgundy in the past and probably will again. In the meantime they have a really fabulous textured old gold finish out at the moment - Littlewoods have it.

LittleMysMoominMamma Fri 17-Feb-17 21:13:35

Hmm, thanks for the replies both - Auntie, I think you've confirmed my fears.

I know everyone raves about the Hamble Oaks, but I prefer the more streamlined (manly!) shape of the Church's. I am such a fussy beggar grin

Dulcimena Fri 17-Feb-17 23:53:21

Have you looked at Grenson?

N0tfinished Sat 18-Feb-17 01:12:54

I have some from dubarry from a few seasons ago. Very pleased overall, I've worn lots

Trundle13 Sat 18-Feb-17 04:00:12

Van Dal?

E.g. www.vandalshoes.com/all-shoes/workwear/cagney-storm-pearlised-patent.html

(Can't find a brogue exactly, but worth a look - bought some loafers from VD after being fed up of cheap flats falling apart too quickly, and I have been so pleased with the design and quality.)

LittleMysMoominMamma Sat 18-Feb-17 08:31:43

Thanks for the suggestions!

Dulcimena, I love the Grenson Martha, but the colours aren't right, N0tfinished, I hadn't thought of Dubarry but there are only boots and moccasins on their website atm and Trundle13, those are actually quite beautiful but more feminine than I'm looking for.

I understand that the founders of Church's started Cheaney shoes - lovely boots, but the shoes are too chunky. I also found Crockett & Jones which again have one style I like, but not in the burgundy.

Why is it that we always fixate on the thing that is impossible to find?! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now