Talk

Advanced search

Are leather biker jackets been and gone?

(46 Posts)
MaryQuant Fri 17-Feb-17 17:27:24

Just that really- and I mean leather not the plastic ones
Quite tempted after seeing Emilia Fox rocking one on tv and the slinky police woman in No offence (the younger one not the boss who also wore leather)

imjessie Fri 17-Feb-17 17:29:55

Never

Ffswtf Fri 17-Feb-17 17:31:01

Oh I hope not, I love mine shockgrin I don't think so though, are they not a classic never really out of fashion piece?

MaryQuant Fri 17-Feb-17 17:32:24

Okay thinking about the Hush one or possibly -deep breath a Whistles one- or any suggestions?

paulapantsdown Fri 17-Feb-17 17:34:13

I bloody hope not - I just got mine a few months ago and I love it so much.

wishparry Fri 17-Feb-17 17:50:09

I love my leather biker jacket.
mostly wear it with jeans and white top.love it.

thewideeyedpea Fri 17-Feb-17 18:16:50

I have a navy blue one and I love it!

greenfolder Fri 17-Feb-17 18:17:52

If they are ever out wait 10 mins and they are back in x

SpaghettiMeatballs Fri 17-Feb-17 18:18:43

I honestly don't think a decent leather jacket will ever be out of fashion.

They are timeless. I have a gorgeous, collarless leather jacket. It is 14 years old as is as beautiful and soft as the day I bought it.

Floisme Fri 17-Feb-17 18:19:19

This may make me unpopular but I think even classics come in and out of fashion. Think trouser suits or trenchcoats or boucle jackets or bomber jackets: all have fallen off the radar from time to time and sometimes looked quite dated for long periods. I think bikers have been so huge for so long that there's bound to be a backlash sooner or later. Or they may morph into something else e.g. I've seen a few oversize ones recently.

None of which means you shouldn't buy one but I would only do it if I was sure I was going to wear it to death.

RudyMentary Fri 17-Feb-17 18:22:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MsUnderstanding Fri 17-Feb-17 20:17:04

I have an oversized 90s biker, a more minimalist collarless 00s one with a zip that goes up the middle, neither look right, or like the ones in the shops at the moment. I'm agree, even "classics" date. Dosnt mean you shouldn't buy on though.

PacificDogwod Fri 17-Feb-17 20:18:04

shock

What a question!

Never.
Never ever.

missfliss Fri 17-Feb-17 20:42:45

Bloody hope not because I've just bought this beauty in the sales

KlingybunFistelvase Fri 17-Feb-17 20:50:32

I agree with what flo said up thread really and I imagine they could end up looking a bit dated at some point maybe, as they've been so very popular for a while now.

I have a vague memory of them being hugely popular in the early 90s, being everywhere and then going out of style.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy one, but just agreeing with flo that even classics can come and go a bit.

taybert Fri 17-Feb-17 20:55:09

Do you love it now? Can you afford it? If answer to both is yes then buy. I just picked up the navy Tu one. It's lovely.

ChishandFips33 Fri 17-Feb-17 21:34:41

Bugger! I was going to get the Tu one and now it's out of stock grrr

Typical

I also think they are timeless

PacificDogwod Fri 17-Feb-17 21:50:58

Ok, here's my more considered answer:

I think a black, real leather biker jacket will never truly go out of style, although its popularity may wax and wane.
Any variation on the theme may look dated a while after being really hip.

So, I am expecting my black AllSaints leather biker style jacket to last for frigging ever, whereas the burgundy red Karen Millen one? Not so much grin

ZaZathecat Fri 17-Feb-17 21:58:39

I guess they go out of fashion as teens grow up to see their mums/nans wearing them.

QueenofLouisiana Fri 17-Feb-17 22:01:35

I got the last Tu one in store on Tuesday. I've worn it lots already. Total bargain with the 25% off.

My capsule wardrobe is based on navy and grey so I'm very pleased.

PacificDogwod Fri 17-Feb-17 22:02:17

Za grin

I own my grandfather's black leather jacket and love it!

ButterChicken Fri 17-Feb-17 22:28:45

Ah missed that sainsburys leather jacket... Meant to order this week. Poo

sunshineglitterprincess Fri 17-Feb-17 22:53:40

Not yet but possibly..... I say this as more to do with the "hipster" style and the apparent surge in popularity of veganism. I can see leather jackets being tarnished with the same brush as fur coats in the not to distant future.
They are lush though and I would love one myself

Floisme Fri 17-Feb-17 23:33:12

I think whenever something you really like becomes fashionable there's always this flip side. I've worn brogues for 40-odd years and in a way, I wish they weren't so popular at the moment because there'll be a kickback. And I absobloodylutely love an old school tweed jacket which I know looks a bit dated at the moment but I wear it anyway smile

So not saying don't buy it but the op asked if it'll go out of fashion and I think it will at some point.

Dreadfulidea Fri 17-Feb-17 23:59:55

Yep. Because anything that looked " fresh" will also have to look old old. As someone's earlier said it the details that date - collars, zips, etc. I haven't seen that many women in leather jackets generally really so I think they have a few years in them yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now