Talk

Advanced search

Please can you help me find a wedding dress?

(16 Posts)
TheWeddingCandelabra Thu 16-Feb-17 15:37:40

I have another thread going about songs for our wedding but please all knowing vipers can you help me find a dress?

It's a fairly casual wedding. I still want to wear an ivory dress but something fairly simple.
This is the closest dress I've found although it's slightly too plain, I would like a deeper and different shaped scoop to the back and not made in chiffon but possibly a satin.

The nearly dress

I've tried on all sorts of things and looked like mutton dressed as lamb in most of them.
My arms aren't too bad but I'm conscious of them so the dress must have short sleeves.

Can anyone help me find something like it please?

mrsjkerry Thu 16-Feb-17 15:39:45

Have you tried Monsoon?

Oblomov17 Thu 16-Feb-17 15:42:13

Lovely dress. What age are you, shape, size? What are your must have's and no-no's for this dress?

FenellaMaxwellsPony Thu 16-Feb-17 15:47:03

What's your budget?

clairethewitch70 Thu 16-Feb-17 15:48:17

Alice Temperley?

TheWeddingCandelabra Thu 16-Feb-17 16:42:54

Oh wow! Quick responses, thank you smile

mrsj I looked at Monsoon but they are either sleeveless or they have sleeves but aren't backless. On the one dress that is both sleeveless and backless the backless bit is a cut out, rather than backless from the shoulders if that makes sense?

Oblomov I'm in my 40s, petite, size 10 but I have boobs and a bum iyswim? Must have sleeves, even if as in the photo they are lace sleeves. As I am busty empire line at the front would be good, rather than from the waist. Must be maxi but no train or anything longer than floor length. Ivory would be good but I would also consider pale silvery/gold colours.
If it helps I am an HOC blue spring so I can wear silver or gold.
I would like the fabric to be heavier than chiffon so a heavy silk would be good or satin.
As for neckline I would like a straighter neck.

Ah well Fenella I'm lucky, my budget is pretty elastic but I'd rather stick with something cheaper.

Claire the Alice Temperley dresses are lovely but nothing really jumps out at me.

I also like this Ghost dress but it doesn't have sleeves. It flares out at the back, which is lovely but because I am short it would flare out at the knees, rather than the thighs as it should do and even the most talented seamstress probably can't make it flare out from the thighs on me as there wouldn't be enough fabric. I like the empire line shape at the front.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Thu 16-Feb-17 16:45:55

Have a look at Belle & Bunty - they have lots similar to your almost dress....

TheWeddingCandelabra Thu 16-Feb-17 16:58:30

I also liked this dress but the bride is a completely different shape to me.

That last photo isn't very good but it's the only full length photo I could find.

I'll look at Belle and Bunty, thank you.

TheWeddingCandelabra Thu 16-Feb-17 16:59:20

Ok that didn't work, I'll try to find the dress again and add photos.

spankhurst Thu 16-Feb-17 17:01:11

Look at the Modcloth site, they do inetrnational delivery and have some lovely 'casual' bridal stuff.

TheWeddingCandelabra Thu 16-Feb-17 17:03:50

Try again

FenellaMaxwellsPony Thu 16-Feb-17 17:05:36

Definitely look at belle & bunty in that case - they are very similar to the two styles you like.

TheWeddingCandelabra Thu 16-Feb-17 17:14:01

Fenella I like the Petal dress and the Jerry dress on Belle and Bunty but they don't really have sleeves and I'm a long way from any stockists.

MrsGsnow18 Thu 16-Feb-17 17:17:40

Have you considered buying a dress without sleeves and having a dress maker add lace sleeves? My MIL had lace sleeves added to a sleeveless formal dress and it made an amazing difference. It wouldn't be anywhere near as expensive as having a dress made and they would prob make small alterations to dress which would just make it perfect for your shape.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Thu 16-Feb-17 17:24:12

Ok in that case, have a look at Charlie Brear, Minna and Jenny Packham?

TheWeddingCandelabra Thu 16-Feb-17 18:01:08

Thanks Fenella there is one dress I like on the Charlie Brear site but it's £2400, I can afford it but as it isn't exactly what I want that's a lot of money to spend for nearly.

I like the Minna designs very much but the dresses don't fit the models so it's difficult to see what they would look like irl.

The Jenny Packham designs there is nothing that quite hits the spot, I don't know whether any of them are backless because the website doesn't have that much detail.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now