Talk

Advanced search

Vit C serum - skin looking worse?

(5 Posts)
Jmangel Thu 16-Feb-17 10:16:21

So I started using an l acerbic acid 10%serum - it stings a little on application and makes my eyes water but was prepared to suffer if I got good results. My main concern is to improve texture - lots of fine lines and acne scar tissue - and to plump up the skin and firm.
So it's been 4 days and my skin does look tighter with less sagging BUT the texture looks much worse - really dehydrated looking and scaly. I've been putting my hylamide sub q serum over it, then an oil free moisturiser, then an oil free SPF but today, my usual foundation looks really cakey.
So my question is, is this dehydration a temporary thing whilst my skin gets used to the vit c, a bit like what happens with retinols, or should I just give up now? The serum itself is in a jojoba oil base which I was a but worried about given my acne history, although I believe jojoba is non comoodogenic, so not sure why my skin is looking like all moisture has been sucked out if it!

Jmangel Thu 16-Feb-17 10:16:54

L ascorbic

Jmangel Thu 16-Feb-17 14:23:22

Hopeful bump?

Dulcimena Thu 16-Feb-17 14:45:53

Which serum? There will be other ingredients in it and it's hard to say without knowing what they are. Jojoba itself, despite being an oil, can be quite drying - I have trouble with it. Could also be a "getting worse before it gets better" situation, it def took longer than 4 days for me to see an improvement from Vit C. Could too be purely coincidental (hormonal or environmental). of course..

Jmangel Thu 16-Feb-17 16:39:09

It's U Skin from amazon it has HA, MSM and jojoba oil. Interesting that you think the jojoba oil could be dehydrating. Think I may have to stop as have just started with a large bump under skin on chin which given my acne history is alarming. Can vita c cause spots? There was mention of spots in The Ordinary's blurb on their vita c serum - is vita c comodogenic? Maybe it's not meant to be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now