Talk

Advanced search

Mobile beauty pricing

(13 Posts)
thecherryontop Thu 16-Feb-17 01:01:20

Advice please! I'm in the process of starting up a mobile beauty business with the possibility of clients also coming to me. My question is in terms of what people feel reasonable for pricing while I'm building up a portfolio of my work... possible options...
1. Free treatments for initial 2 weeks then move to 75% off for a couple of weeks then 50% then 20%
2. Sell at cost price for each treatment for a period of time (around a month)
3. A better idea?

I'd like to build up as big a portfolio as I can, this won't be my main job. I'm in Essex if that makes a difference and would be offering tanning, gel nails, eyelash Lift, tint and extension.

Thanks in advance!

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 16-Feb-17 07:08:56

Have you heard of salon geek? It's a forum for therapists. You'll get lots of excellent advice in the business part.

When I did my nail course we were told never to discount treatment, you get the bargain hunters who aren't loyal clients.

Stitchfusion Thu 16-Feb-17 07:12:53

Dont do free treatments. If you are qualified enough to do them, then they shouldnt be free, unless its for your mother.
Find out whatever the going rate is, and either do that, or slightly less.

KatyS36 Thu 16-Feb-17 08:38:47

Hello, I'll admit to being a bargain hunter, but once I find someone good who I like I'll stay with them for years. A half price for first treatment would tempt me to try something new.
Good luck
Katy

Kirriemuir Thu 16-Feb-17 08:51:47

No to free treatments but some reduction is good.

Loyalty scheme

Block bookings/courses

Friends and family discount.

Only1scoop Thu 16-Feb-17 09:02:31

To be honest, I've used many therapists over the years ....but the one that is still in business and going strong is someone that doesn't buy into the whole discount thing

She is an excellent therapist but doesn't run offers. I go to her for all my waxing/eye treatments.

The local salon where I have the odd facial, pedi and massage is somewhere I only go when there are offers on. I wouldn't want to pay 40 for a massage when next month it's only 25

The same as I'd never pay full price in say, Debenhams for a dress as next week the blue cross will be on or some 30 percent discount type offer.
Happy to go into Next though and pay full price as they don't do it.

Only1scoop Thu 16-Feb-17 09:04:20

Blimey sorry Op that was a ramble blush
I'd say don't pitch in with discounts/offers other than maybe an introductory 20 percent off or similar.
You want regulars paying regular prices.

thecherryontop Thu 16-Feb-17 19:27:14

Hi everyone and thanks for the replies, on the course we have also been advised to not go in cheap, I think my worry with this is that I won't be able to build up enough of a portfolio.. I think considering what you have all said though that perhaps a family and friends discount to build up a portfolio but regular price for everyone else may be the way forward.

Really appreciate the replies and I will look into salon geek more -I've come across it but should really invest more time into it.

wowfudge Thu 16-Feb-17 19:50:54

My hairdresser runs a loyalty scheme - 10% off every few times is appreciated and it's fairer for those who are regulars.

Thefishtankneedswater Thu 16-Feb-17 19:55:04

Rough ideas,

Family and friends can have a free treatment if in return you can use their photos for FB/website/advertising.

Offer 50% off for the first two weeks and a 10% discount after ever 5th treatment.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Thu 16-Feb-17 20:02:40

Seriously, no free or very cheap deals....they won't expect to pay full price after. Second Loyalty Cards, also Introduce a Friend deals will help build your client base. I worked as a Beautician for a few years. I would be very clear what discount you are offering for Mates Rates. Saves any misunderstandings ;)

EatSpamAmandaLamb Thu 16-Feb-17 21:37:36

My beauty therapist does a deal of pay for your first and get your second appointment half price.

EatSpamAmandaLamb Thu 16-Feb-17 21:38:35

^ pressed post too soon.
She then has a loyalty card where you get your 10th treatment half price and your 20th free.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now