Talk

Advanced search

Calling on the powers of Mumsnet! Tom from Beast Quest costume

(15 Posts)
LemonThyme82 Wed 15-Feb-17 23:52:10

Posting here in desperation.

DS wants to dress up as Tom from the Beast Quest book series for World Book Day.

Can anyone help find a blue top similar to the one in this photo?

Or tell me what key words to search for online -- been googling 'boys blue v neck' and variations with not much luck; also can't find similar in shops near me.

Thanks in advance!

Corneliusmurphy Thu 16-Feb-17 00:03:57

I made similar by cutting the v into a round neck t (available in every colour on eBay) and lacing a shoe lace through.

LemonThyme82 Thu 16-Feb-17 08:16:20

Thanks for the quick reply Cornelius, brilliant idea!

ThisisrealityGreg Tue 21-Feb-17 11:59:37

Do you have any more ideas Lemon? DS wants to be Tom also.

CheersMedea Tue 21-Feb-17 13:14:21

This shirt comes in blue:

kiltsociety.com/products/luxury-jacobite-ghillie-shirt?gclid=CPLbuI2iodICFWcW0wodykMC0Q

For search terms - try "men's lace up shirt"

LemonThyme82 Tue 21-Feb-17 14:38:16

Thanks CheersMedea, I did end up buying a blue ghillie shirt!

ThisIs, I got a 'Heritage of Scotland Kids Deluxe Ghillie Shirt 2 Years Navy' on eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/p/heritage-of-scotland-kids-deluxe-ghillie-shirt-2-years-navy/1167876757?var=670651226422)

As DS doesn't have a brown belt, I also got 'Kids Belt. Childrens 1-6 Years adjustable Elasticated Belt with Round Buckle' ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/p/heritage-of-scotland-kids-deluxe-ghillie-shirt-2-years-navy/1167876757?var=670651226422). It's a little smaller IRL than I imagined, but it works over the ghillie shirt.

He'll wear a brown long-sleeved top, with the ghillie shirt sleeves rolled up; skinny grey jeans (technically they should be brown I guess!); and chunky leather boots.

We went online and printed off black-and-white pictures of the shield elements (Google searches for eagle feather, fang, claw, bell, horseshoe and dragon scale; DS chose the 'right' image) and DS cut them out and pasted them on to a thick cardboard shield. I've attached a photo.

It's a bit of effort but DS does love the Beast Quest series!

LemonThyme82 Tue 21-Feb-17 14:40:06

P.S. The shirt was for 7 years, not 2 years. A search for 'kids navy ghillie' on eBay should work; it's also available on Amazon

LemonThyme82 Tue 21-Feb-17 14:42:52

Sorry, belt link is: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kids-Belt-Childrens-1-6-Years-adjustable-Elasticated-Belt-with-Round-Buckle-/281776625624?

ThisisrealityGreg Wed 22-Feb-17 10:31:07

Oh wow - great tips, thank you!!

Although last night DS was saying he now wants to go as Silver the wolf. "We can draw a mask mummy". Errrrr.......... hmm

ThisisrealityGreg Tue 28-Feb-17 10:52:09

We did it! Made the shield by printing stuff off the internet and cutting out a cardboard box - thanks for the tips.

Bought a slighly too large cheap navy polo shirt and made extra holes and put string through the button holes.

Pair of pirate dressing up trousers with built in 'boots' from a friend and a brown piece of material for a belt. Grey long sleeved t shirt underneath.

He already has the same hair, he looks awesome. I'm v proud cos I'm normally shit at this stuff grin

PegaGryf Tue 28-Feb-17 12:32:18

Why did I not see this earlier? Ds has also requested Tom, of. Easy quest fame. We've spent so long making the fucking shield and sword that I completely forgot he'd need clothes too.

PegaGryf Tue 28-Feb-17 12:32:55

Navy polo shirt is an excellent shout!
<snogs this>

KellyR78 Wed 01-Mar-17 16:10:04

Hi there my son is also going as Tom we are struggling to find some of the shield elements to print off like the serpent tooth and claw please help thank you

PegaGryf Wed 01-Mar-17 18:00:32

Google searches for eagle feather, fang, claw, bell, horseshoe and dragon scale; DS chose the 'right' image

Hopefully that's helpful smile

LemonThyme82 Sat 04-Mar-17 08:55:50

How did everyone get on? Sorry I didn't see the question about shield elements ("shield tokens!" DS corrects me ☺️) until late.

Here's a pic of how it all looked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now