Talk

Advanced search

What are your best budget makeup/haircare products that are just as good as the more expensive brands?

(45 Posts)
milkyman Wed 15-Feb-17 09:28:04

I use Clinique but want to save money so looking at overhauling my usual brands but there is so much to choose from!

MinesaPinot Wed 15-Feb-17 09:40:44

OK here goes:

Simple Micellar water - Best I've tried

L'Oreal Revitalift Laser Renew day/night cream and serum (not too keen on the eye cream). Tried high end to High Street and this is the one I repurchase

L'Oreal Elvive Extraordinary hair oil - better than the Kerastase I am using at the moment

Boots No. 7 Lip crayons rather than Clinique Chubby Sticks

Max Factor Masterpiece Mascara rather than my old favourite Lancôme Definicils

I'm sure I'll think of more

milkyman Wed 15-Feb-17 09:50:05

Great thank you!

violetgrey Wed 15-Feb-17 12:45:24

Gosh lipsticks and lip crayons are great. Good selection of colours and textures. Kiko for eyeshadows, great quality and a huge selection of colours. I still did not find a budget mascara I love as much as YSL Babydoll. Quite like Maybeline Fit Me concealer. I use Dove beauty bar instead of liquid hand wash and have another in the shower instead of shower gel. That's only good if you like using soap which I do. Nivea Soft is a good body and hand moisturiser and sometimes emergency face moisuriser when I run out of my usual cream.

mowglik Wed 15-Feb-17 14:02:25

Aldi lacura skincare
Vaseline - better at keeping moisture in skin overnight than most creams
No 17 HD falsify mascara
La girl pro concealers - better than Bobbi brown concealers
Garner micellar water - best I've tried compared to nuxe, caudalie versions
Elvive clay shampoo and conditioner - keeps my hair fresh for longer than other expensive salon brands

Maverick66 Wed 15-Feb-17 16:40:06

Kiko Milano lipsticks.
Simple eye makeup remover cream
Sleek blushers
Maybeleine lipsticks too.

Maudlinmaud Wed 15-Feb-17 16:47:05

Tresemmé oleo radiance, shampoo, conditioner and bi-phase conditioning mist is wonderful on blonde hair. It's the only products that give my hair a shine. Usually on offer in superdrug or boots.

SealSong Wed 15-Feb-17 16:47:31

Rimmel match perfection foundation, great stuff.
Also yes to Simple micellar water.

SealSong Wed 15-Feb-17 16:49:30

Yes also to Tresseme oleo radiance shampoo and conditioner....thick, rich, smells gorgeous and sorts my fine wavy frizz into soft waves. Often half price, which is even better.

Maudlinmaud Wed 15-Feb-17 16:52:11

Boots botanic facial oil is just as nice as clarins blue orchid, loved the smell of clarins but it broke my skin out, I still use it on my neck every few days.

FrustratedFrugal Wed 15-Feb-17 17:06:09

I like Kiko for cosmetics, terrific lipsticks and their nail polish is good too. Tresemme is pretty good and I also love Wella hair products.

MrsT2007 Wed 15-Feb-17 19:30:44

Palmers coconut oil shampoo and conditioner and cowash for curly haired girls

Kiko and Wilko Essence or Superdrug MUA make up.

I'm a French pharmacy skincare girl though confused

Am a reconverted soap user. Bar soap. Got sick of ruddy bottles all over the shower. Got a lush 'sultan of soap' chunk and it's fab!

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 15-Feb-17 22:07:48

Rimmell stay matte face powder.

Sciurus83 Wed 15-Feb-17 22:31:54

Clarins blue orchid broke me out too @maudlinmaud

clairethewitch70 Wed 15-Feb-17 22:35:30

Nivea Q10 eye cream is really good at keeping away lines around my eyes. Boots No7 Protect & perfect range is good too. The Sanctuary for bath products. No7 hand scrub is lovely.

ANameToHide Wed 15-Feb-17 22:53:50

Simple Miceller Water.

W7 Absolute Lashes (£3) a very good dupe for Benefits They're Real mascara.

MakeUp Revolution have some nice dupes for high end palettes like naked and too faced, but are often sold out, they're usually about £8, I bought a couple of their I Love MakeUp pallets for £4 and really really love them, probably use more often than my Naked palettes tbh.

W7 power puffs, £1 each and exact,y the same as Beauty blender.

Essence hand cream, £1.50 a tube and just like L'Occitane (better than imo)

Robstersgirl Wed 15-Feb-17 23:12:21

Lanacane Anti Chafing Gel has the same ingredients as Smashbox. I prefer it though the Benefit Porefessional I used to use. You will not regret trying it, seriously good! www.boots.com/lanacane-anti-chafing-gel-30g-10071974

Robstersgirl Wed 15-Feb-17 23:12:31

*too

Robstersgirl Wed 15-Feb-17 23:12:56

*TO Fuck my phone.

Superdrug's Naturally Radiant Hot Cloth Cleanser. Less than a fiver, usually on offer and much the same as if not better than Liz Earle.

Maybelline baby skin primer is a pretty good replacement for Benefit Porefressional.

Botanicbaby Thu 16-Feb-17 01:01:06

def maybelline baby skin primer.

sleek powder blush is similar to nars

max factor 2000 calorie mascara is the best

boots natural collection cream blush

I won't scrimp on foundation or gel eyeliner or lipstick anymore though.

Botanicbaby Thu 16-Feb-17 01:02:15

oops forgot to add that no7 shimmer brick the pinkish one is just lovely and doesn't crack up and break before you finish using it unlike bobbi brown.

LadyOfTheCanyon Thu 16-Feb-17 06:33:29

Just discovered Tesco do a range of bubble baths that look a bit like Philosophy. The smells are very similar and the ginger one smells EXACTLY like Origins Ginger Burst and is only £3. Though why they had to make it a virulent snot green colour is beyond me. Fuckers.

notagiraffe Thu 16-Feb-17 08:01:00

Nivea pore primer is brilliant - better than benefit and sometimes on offer in Superdrug for under a fiver (usually around £10.

Rimmel eyeshadow - gorgeous colours, keeps better than Benefit and stays on well.

Maybelline mascara Volume Express

But can never find good cheap lipstick better than YSL.

notagiraffe Thu 16-Feb-17 08:02:45

LadyoftheCanyon - thank you. I love the Origins Ginger Souffle. Waitrose used to do one similar but changed the formula and it's not so good now. Will definitely try the Tesco version.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now