Talk

Advanced search

Job interview outfit dilemma - need help please!

(9 Posts)
KlingybunFistelvase Wed 15-Feb-17 08:52:06

I have been invited for an interview for an admin role at a big IT company. I have been a SAHP for over two years so have hardly any decent work wear. I wonder if anyone can help choose between these:

1) I have a lovely LK Bennett suit, which is a little bit tight on me now. I would need to have the jacket cleaned (potentially by tomorrow - interview date isn't yet confirmed but they said maybe tomorrow or Friday) and find something to wear underneath it.
2) the skirt from the suit, which doesn't need to be cleaned with a top from next which goes fine with the skirt but looks weird under the jacket
3) a pencil dress from M&S which is fairly smart (I would have worn it to work) but isn't made of jersey which I think is a bit casual?
4) something else... but it would need to be quite cheap and probably available quickly online, as I have my 2yo with me today and live in a smallish town with a few little shops!

All these options suck don't they? Help please!

KlingybunFistelvase Wed 15-Feb-17 08:53:14

"Is made of jersey" is what that should have said re M&S dress piss off autocorrect grin

NewPantsforaNewYear Wed 15-Feb-17 08:57:22

2 or 3 sound fine.
I think I'd rather spend anytime I had preparing for the interview than dashing to the dry cleaners or clothes shopping.

NewPantsforaNewYear Wed 15-Feb-17 08:58:06

No 2 then, if you think the dress is too casual.

Sittingintheshade Wed 15-Feb-17 09:01:16

I think wear whichever you feel most comfy and confident in!

KlingybunFistelvase Wed 15-Feb-17 09:41:33

Thanks!

If I hear back today that it's going to be Friday or later, I might order something to a local store which can be put caked up tomorrow and easily returned. Otherwise I'll go with option 2.

Finbar Wed 15-Feb-17 10:07:31

The key is to look like you've made an effort but also to be comfortable.
Hair and makeup or 'grooming' whatever is as important. No missing buttons or scuffed shoes.
Sit in front of a mirror in your outfit and see if you look comfortable.

But more important - make sure you read up on the company and the job. Nothing pisses interviewers off more than a lack of basic research - I promise you!
Good luck

KlingybunFistelvase Wed 15-Feb-17 10:57:21

Thanks finbar!

My hair is in a bit of an in between stage as I'm growing it longer. Will have to practice doing it for the interview. I've just heard it will probably be the beginning of next week, so have a little bit more time thankfully. I'm ordering a cheap suit from M&S, as it's all I can afford atm. Will try it on and if it's better than the (too tight) LK Bennett one I'll keep it. Also ordering some new shirts to try on underneath.

Will be doing some research on the company too of course! I worked in recruitment at one point so (hopefully) won't make any of the obvious mistakes, like saying I've never heard of the company and don't know what they do - I actually had a candidate who said this at interview once! Painful.

Finbar Sun 19-Feb-17 08:30:47

Did you have the interview on Friday? If so, how did it go?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now