Talk

Advanced search

How do I stop looking shiny!

(15 Posts)
MintToBe Wed 15-Feb-17 07:06:03

I have combination skin. I use a fairly decent moisturiser and BB cream for day time use but come midmorning I look shiny. Especially my nose and forehead. This cold windy weather isn't helping as my dry bits now look flaky. Can anyone recommend a good, not break the bank solution for me.

Fackorf Wed 15-Feb-17 07:09:12

A clay mask on your t-zone, and those little powdery blotting papers whenever you go to the loo.

MissisBoote Wed 15-Feb-17 07:12:56

Primer will help as will powder after applying makeup and throughout the day.

I use Korean brands bought through ebay: Tony moly egg pore silky smooth balm combined with innisfree no sebum powder but I'm sure others will recommend products you can buy in the UK.

Is your moisturiser oil free?

Laiste Wed 15-Feb-17 07:20:59

www.benefitcosmetics.com/uk/en-gb/product/the-porefessional-face-primer

This one seems to work for me. I bought if for my wedding 4 years ago and I've only used it for special occasions since because of the price, but i never get the dreaded shiney mid day/mid evening face when i do.

DameXanaduBramble Wed 15-Feb-17 07:30:01

You perhaps need to rethink,the bb cream and switch to a light foundation with primer and a little loose powder. Be creams don't suit everyone. Exfoiloation sorts the dry patches around your nose, hard this time of year with the weather, central heating etc.

Kennington Wed 15-Feb-17 07:35:51

Get an acid exfoliated and an oil free moisturiser and spray serozinc in the morning
Bb creams are a bit shiny too so perhaps stop this.
I would also blot with a tissue around midday

Mandyfl0ss Wed 15-Feb-17 08:05:38

I have been using Avene Cleanance Mat (mattifying emulsion). It's so good, it makes my foundation look better and my forehead doesn't get quite as shiny. It's only about £12 in Boots.

needanothercat Wed 15-Feb-17 08:08:20

I find exfoliating regularly helps keep the flakiness away and I second the benefit primer. I use quite an abrasive scrub and then a thick moisturiser after- I like to really take the top layer off!! I use clinique matte powder just lightly dabbed on my dry areas.

Clankboing Wed 15-Feb-17 08:10:39

The old fashioned cornsilk loose powder is good for that. If my skin is quite good at the time I can get away with wearing it on its own.

homebythesea Wed 15-Feb-17 10:48:38

My l(oily) life has been transformed by using 1) a primer and 2) loose powder pressed in with a beauty blender on top of foundation and concealer and before blusher and 3) using fixing spray after everything else.

Blotting moments have been drastically cut down

Beautifullymixed Wed 15-Feb-17 11:23:05

Yes to a chemical exfoliant such as nip and fab glycolic pads, or corsx BHA blackhead power liquid.
Yes to a moisturising serum under your moisturiser, such as Hada labo premium hyaluronic serum, or cosrx snail essence. This should help the flakiness.
I love a lightweight moisturising gel under my makeup for moisture and bounce, without oiliness. I absolutely love Mizon snail recovery gel. Heals spots too.
A good primer will most definitely help. I find W7 face primer camera ready great, and inexpensive. Doesn't dry out my skin, and leave me lined, wrinkled and tight (looking at you Bodyshop Wonderblur), or greasy and slow to set (looking at you Garnier 5 second blur).

Finally, finishing with a good face powder. The amount of powder i use depends on how dry my skin is currently. As a PP said, I love Innisfree no sebum powder. Takes the shine off, but doesn't dry the skin because it's a mineral powder.
A fine dusting over the t zone if I'm extra dry, or pressed into the skin with the puff, and lightly dusted off. Smooth and poreless skin, with no colour change or oxidation, and utterly sweet packaging and smell. Easy to carry around too, as long as you keep the puff in (and only poke a few holes in the cover), and should help your shine problem.

I am oily yet dehydrated, and prone to rosacea and acne. It's a hard battle to keep my skin from drying out and getting irritated - leading to rosacea pimples/papules. Or clogged up and congested - leading to whiteheads, blackheads or cystic acne. angry
The bane of my life.

Beautifullymixed Wed 15-Feb-17 11:27:12

Also, I agree about the BB cream. I would be an oily mess if I used these.
A light foundation would probably improve things a great deal.

I tend to avoid mattifying products with dehydrated skin, as they tend to make you produce more oil. The opposite of what you want.

MintToBe Wed 15-Feb-17 16:55:21

Thanks. I knew I could rely on the wise style and beauty MNetters.

Beautifullymixed Wed 15-Feb-17 17:12:18

OP, another essential are blotting papers. These muji ones are great value.
Good for removing oil without keep adding powder, or for removing the oil first - then adding the powder. Leaving the make up looking more natural, and less chance of make up separating or caking.

GVmama Wed 15-Feb-17 17:23:42

Definitely a primer and translucent powder job! I recently started using both and the difference is amazing. I use fairly cheap Rimmel primer (Fix and Protect with spf 25) and powder (match perfection) and both seem to do the job well. Both were around a fiver and I would recommend both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now