Talk

Advanced search

question about teeth whitening

(8 Posts)
lurkingfromhome Tue 14-Feb-17 16:08:07

I'd really like to get my teeth whitened, but I'm wondering if it will actually work as I think my teeth are yellowish through taking antibiotics when I was a child and not through surface staining.

I distinctly remember when I was 8 I was on a course of antibiotics for something or other and my teeth pretty much went yellow overnight. My dentist at the time reassured me by saying they were strong healthy teeth and it didn't matter what colour they were.

Fast forward several decades and I really REALLY want to sort them out a bit but am wondering if anything will work - do the usual white strips, gels, laser etc treatments not just work on surface staining? Presumably the colour of my teeth comes from within, as it were, so would I just be wasting my money by trying to bleach them a few shades whiter?

Argh! Darn those pesky 1970s doctors and their antibiotics!

BeachysSnowyWellieBoots Tue 14-Feb-17 16:10:42

You really have to visit a dentist to find out. If the staining is from antibiotics, wouldn't it just be on the outside?

Also the dentist will be able to help you choose the right shade to go for, make your gel trays and monitor how it's going....

lurkingfromhome Tue 14-Feb-17 16:22:47

Thanks, Beachys. I think, though, that it's not really surface staining, as such, from antibiotics - it's something to do with an ingredient in the drug binding itself to the interior of children's teeth as they develop (something like that, anyway) so the yellow isn't on the surface but actually inside the tooth.

Mind you I've just been googling some pictures and it looks like I got off quite lightly as mine are just a bit on the yellow side and possible side-effects were actual brown teeth ...

Will talk to dentist and see what she says.

retainertrainer Tue 14-Feb-17 17:06:04

Even if it were due to antibiotics you'll have years worth of staining from food and drink that's built up too so I think you should go for it. I had mine done a couple of years ago and it's made a huge difference to my confidence.

CantChoose Tue 14-Feb-17 18:27:15

It is tetracycline that stains teeth. I'm not sure if the whitening would work or not but as retainer says it would remove any 'normal' staining. I can't urge you enough to get it done by a proper dentist though.

CantChoose Tue 14-Feb-17 18:32:57

Just asked a dentist friend for you (I am a GP so was interested to know myself!), they said it will work but may take longer. Suggested Zoom whitening then home whitening with personally fitted trays over 3-6 months.

Mrsmorton Tue 14-Feb-17 18:37:33

It won't be from the antibiotics if you took them at age 8. It's only if you take them before the teeth erupt that antibiotics cause this. Either way, your dentist will be able to tell you and advise on the best course of action.

lurkingfromhome Tue 14-Feb-17 19:06:49

Ah excellent - thanks all for your help. A trip to the dentist definitely in order.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now