Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Etiquette for testing lipstick/how do you select your lipsticks?

(9 Posts)
ilovecherries Mon 13-Feb-17 18:13:58

I do feel I should know the answer to this, but I don't. After doing the January lipstick challenge I realise I have a drawer full of lipsticks that don't suit me/have a horrible texture/smell yucky when stuck a cm from my nose for hours/have no staying power etc etc. Yet all of them would have looked fine when rubbed on the back of my hand in the shop. Surely there must be a better way to test lipstick? I wouldn't dream of buying a foundation that I hadn't sampled, but how to do it with a lipstick? I want three lovely lipsticks, and while I'm happy to pay up to Charlotte Tilbury/Chanel type prices for the right ones, I don't want to drop money on something that I will try once and then never wear.

Cakescakescakes Mon 13-Feb-17 18:21:10

I have the counter assistant apply them on to me (with their little brushes) then walk round the store for a while to get a feel for it. Haven't bought a dud since I tried this. I especially rate the Urban Decay ones and the Comfort Matte formula in particular. They have incredible wear time especially when used with their lip liner as a primer underneath. Seriously 6-8 hrs solid wear even through eating and drinking. And loads of neutral wearable colours as well as the crazy ones. I find Chanel have rubbish lasting power and are very strongly fragranced. And Mac are very drying on me.

Cakescakescakes Mon 13-Feb-17 18:22:17

My local urban decay counter girls tried 3 different (but similar) reds on me before we found one that suited me best. And it wasn't the one I had initially picked out myself. Definitely worth asking for help.

WellTidy Mon 13-Feb-17 18:27:04

I have been so guilty of this in the past. Now I never buy L'Oréal, max factor etc for this reason. If there is an assistant, I ask them to put it on me and I can see how it wears. They're fine about it. I've not bought a lipstick unless Ive tried it on properly in about four years, and I haven't bought any duds as a result. If I am spending £20+ on a Lipstick, I want to know that I will like it!

ilovecherries Mon 13-Feb-17 18:29:01

Right, am going to be more assertive from now on!

MrsDoylesTeabags Mon 13-Feb-17 18:47:31

Good idea, I've got loads of lippies that don't look right too. Do you think they would do that for the brands where they don't have a counter?

ilovecherries Mon 13-Feb-17 18:50:50

I'm actually having a little fantasy of me cruising Boots with a handful of cotton buds and some face wipes...

Eliza22 Mon 13-Feb-17 18:59:33

I've made this mistake too. I had to bin a Bobbi Brown Lippie in a shade I loved but which tasted foul (really cheap/waxy) and dried my lips out. I can't stand the smell of Lancôme and now use No7 in Waterlilly. Apparently, it's their biggest seller and I have several (one in the car/makeup bag/handbag) so I don't have to think about it...just apply. It doesn't taste of anything and is moisturising. Oh, and makes me look "alive".

BusterGonad Tue 14-Feb-17 05:23:46

If it's not on a counter and I want to try it on and I'm worried about hygiene, what I do is twist the lipstick up really high, find a bit of the lipstick that hasn't been touch, scrape some off with the back of my finger nail and then apply it to my lips. It works for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now