Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of this dress? Help!

(41 Posts)
Epictantrum Mon 13-Feb-17 15:53:49

phase eight.
For a wedding guest, and maybe could work to a posh restaurant? I need to get the wear out of it to make it worth it!

EggsEleven Mon 13-Feb-17 16:33:37

I'm late 30s and feel that I would be about 30 years too young for that dress. Sorry. I think you could get something much nicer for the money.

What age,size, shape are you?

cansu Mon 13-Feb-17 16:49:44

it's OK, but agree you could find something much nicer for the spend. Have you had a look on Boden. They always seem to have loads of dresses on there and there is a 20% off code on promo codes which bring most of them under 100 pounds.

HighDataUsage Mon 13-Feb-17 16:54:19

Somebody posted this Jigsaw dress on a thread about spring clothes. It's quite nice and has a modern cut to it and could be worn for different occasions with the right accessories.
www.jigsaw-online.com/product/text-anarchy-kimono-dress/J32340_BL136?utm_source=Affiliate&utm_medium=RakutenAffiliateNetwork&utm_campaign=TnL5HPStwNw&utm_content=10&utm_term=UKNetwork&ranMID=35664&ranEAID=TnL5HPStwNw&ranSiteID=TnL5HPStwNw-bY_VRjXKApv0g0vSRkO.mQ

TartYvette Mon 13-Feb-17 16:55:54

I think the phase 8 one is beautiful!

HyacinthsBucket Mon 13-Feb-17 17:00:22

I think it's a stunning dress, and I'd def wear it. Jacket over for smart events, cashmere wrap or cardi for something less formal.

didsomeonesaywine Mon 13-Feb-17 17:00:33

I love the dress! I'm late 20's and would definitely wear it to a wedding/nice event!

butterfly990 Mon 13-Feb-17 17:11:34

Love the Phase 8 dress! I am late 40's and would wear it.

Pestilentialone Mon 13-Feb-17 17:20:29

Love it. Add big cardigan and orange converse and you can wear for casual weekend lunch.

humanfemale Mon 13-Feb-17 17:50:39

Love it OP.

NattyBatty Mon 13-Feb-17 17:57:30

It depends on your body shape, but I don't see anything wrong with your choice. (except the massive price tag! shock)

Disastronaut Mon 13-Feb-17 18:03:40

Well, it's very pretty but very weddingy imo. I'd feel a bit overdone even in a posh restaurant. You might not get your money out of it

BunnyDog Mon 13-Feb-17 18:21:35

I like it. Its not a modern shape, but then I like the retro 50s look, its glamorous. I think it is lovely. Fit and flare dresses look really beautiful especially if you have a few curves, very pretty pattern too with muted colours. It could look good for a posh restaurant too. good to dress up rather than down for posh restaurants!

EatSpamAmandaLamb Mon 13-Feb-17 18:24:00

It's for a 60 year old with an oatmeal shrug with a few "glam" sequins on the neck to "jazz it up".

Floisme Mon 13-Feb-17 18:45:16

Some comical ideas about 60 year-olds on here. Far too floaty and sleeveless for me and I never do oatmeal, not even on my breakfast. But it's a very pretty dress and if I were you I would wear that kind of style while you can.

Shaddrack Mon 13-Feb-17 18:47:54

I love it, it's beautiful and quite classic too

LouiseBrooks Mon 13-Feb-17 19:01:47

I'm 60 and while I think it's lovely I wouldn't wear it. I'm not remotely old fashioned but I think that's a dress for a young woman, too flowery for me.

Isn't oatmeal something you eat? :-)

Arcadia Mon 13-Feb-17 19:03:17

To me it looks like a funny shape that wouldn't suit many people. Looks weird on that model?

Epictantrum Mon 13-Feb-17 20:41:35

Hmmmm.....mixed reviews!
I'm early 40s, tall, big boobs, apple shaped, no hips (bit of a triangle). I actually bought it today, with the 20% off sale, but not sure whether to return it as is still expensive. That is my fear, that it is very wedding-y; although I do have 2 weddings to go to this year. The shape does work quite well with my shape.
Plus not sure what shoes to wear as I can't do heels.

SleightOfMind Mon 13-Feb-17 20:51:01

I'm Apple shaped and would struggle with that style. The fit and focus is all on the waist, the neckline would be a bit norky and the frumpy lower half would hide my good bits - legs.
I'm a size 8 so don't have a huge waist but I don't think us apples go in and out enough for that kind of dress. It would look glorious on an hourglass and good on a pear.
Also think the print is a bit meh. Sorry.

ChishandFips33 Mon 13-Feb-17 20:54:44

Can you post a pic with you wearing it (edit to chop your head off if you don't want to put yourself)

I'm not keen from the link but have found that sometimes with the right accessories/confidence clothing can look very different on

ScarletForYa Mon 13-Feb-17 20:55:37

I love it.

EweAreHere Mon 13-Feb-17 20:56:42

I love the dress.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Mon 13-Feb-17 21:01:56

I don't love it - I think the length/fabric/print combo is perhaps a bit dowdy?

BusterGonad Tue 14-Feb-17 05:13:03

It's a very pretty dress but if I was spending that type of money I'd be going into Ted Baker, I defiantly wouldn't team it with orange Converse or any Converse for that matter...each to their own though. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now