Talk

Advanced search

Help with ideas for new hair style

(26 Posts)
NewHairPlease Mon 13-Feb-17 13:25:24

I've got long layered hair. It's very fine and dries straight. Only holds a curl/style if I use curling tongs.

I've noticed my hair is starting to get quite thin at the front so my face looks lots longer. I used to have a side fringe that I grew out (it was only thin and wispy so a lot of the time you didn't notice it was there) - it just helped to disguise the grey at the temples.

Anyway, it's my 41st birthday in a few weeks and I'm feeling frumpy and wrinkly and that perhaps I need a new style. I've been long haired for most of my life and think I keep my hair as a bit of a comfort blanket. I've had a graduated bob which I liked but needed regular trims as my hair grows quite quickly.

I also need something that's easy to maintain and won't need washing every day.

Hit me with your best hair ideas grin

NewHairPlease Mon 13-Feb-17 13:37:40

Slightly shorter with no layers.

NewHairPlease Mon 13-Feb-17 13:42:05

With fringe

Batgrrrl Mon 13-Feb-17 14:40:26

Don't have any ideas for new styles (my hairs been the same for over 10 years!) but I like it best it the last pic if that helps at all confused

Dabisadancemove Mon 13-Feb-17 14:46:25

Have you thought about a blunt cut full fringe? If your hairdresser cuts it in deep enough it should look thick enough to do this. Then GHD's are your best friend....

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 13-Feb-17 15:18:45

I think the no layers cut looks nicest, either length is nice though. How about something like this, switching up your parting will make a difference.

Mammatron Mon 13-Feb-17 15:27:46

I second the blunt full fringe!

NewHairPlease Mon 13-Feb-17 16:00:37

I have thought about a blunt fringe but I really don't think my hair is thick enough - it would have to start practically at crown of my head.
I also have an oily T zone so think I'd end up having to wash it more.

I'd love it to be thick enough for this

slinkysaluki Tue 14-Feb-17 06:36:53

Full blunt fringe would really suit you, blunt cut bob few inches below chin length would look fab. The fringe would shorten your face.

Nellyphants Tue 14-Feb-17 07:36:02

That picture above has got layers. It's what my hair looks like freshly cut & blow dried. It takes a lot of effort to get it like that

NewHairPlease Tue 14-Feb-17 09:47:42

Right I'm going to go for the blunt fringe.
I'm going to resist the urge to cut it myself grin

Rhubarbara Tue 14-Feb-17 10:43:46

I agree with slinkysaluki. Heavy fringe. And overall length above your shoulders.

EggsEleven Tue 14-Feb-17 10:48:51

Oh god, don't try and cut a blunt fringe yourself grin I think it will suit you - if done by a hairdresser wink

NewHairPlease Tue 14-Feb-17 11:43:41

What do you think about something like this?

I think it's about as thick as I could get a fringe.

Rhubarbara Tue 14-Feb-17 13:25:02

Don't go too wispy! Have you got a good hairdresser?

Having said don't go wispy, here's a picture of a wispy fringe. I would have it heavier than this. But I think this would be overall a good cut/length for you.

NewHairPlease Tue 14-Feb-17 13:38:26

I think I'd look a bit frumpy with that hair but thanks for the picture.

I think you need to have a good face /bone structure to pull off something like that which I don't have. I feel that my hair is my only redeeming feature.

StiginaGrump Tue 14-Feb-17 14:12:42

Rubbish you have a lovely face - have fun with your new cut but whilst your hair is perfectly good your face is too. So bland all those perfect bone attractive faces;)

user1471503992 Tue 14-Feb-17 14:22:03

It looks thickest in the middle photo. As an alternative to a thick fringe which may not look that thick on thin hair (bitter experience), how about an angled fringe designed to part in the middle like Kate Moss used to have? And no layers - hairdressers are always trying to put layers in my hair and it just looks thinner when they do.

NewHairPlease Tue 14-Feb-17 17:11:31

Thanks stig.

Yes, I think I know the type of fringe you mean user. I think my hair will be too thin for a blunt fringe as much as I'd like one.

missfliss Tue 14-Feb-17 17:45:07

I would go full blunt fringe and inverse long bob.

BUT there is an art to drying fringes ( I've only just learned this at age 40) and it makes a huge huge huge difference.

It's not hard when you know how....and no special equipment needed, it's just a technique.

www.salihughesbeauty.com/videos/video-fringes/

slinkysaluki Tue 14-Feb-17 22:29:00

A classic Cleopatra Bob would look lovely but a little longer in length blunt cut just above shoulders.

AFierceBadRabbit Wed 15-Feb-17 00:01:37

You really remind me of Liv Tyler, and I think you would look amazing with a fuller/thicker fringe.
As for length, below shoulder but not long, and perhaps with some light wave.
Here are a few pics of LT with hair which I think would look great on you:

NewHairPlease Wed 15-Feb-17 17:35:54

Thanks - I'm thinking about getting a clip in fringe to try it out before I go for the chop.
Just realised as well that my hair hadn't been cut since October so it's well overdue.

Molly333 Wed 15-Feb-17 23:13:39

This is from a hairdresser, hope you don't mind me being honest. You hv a long face shape and long straight hair makes it look longer still . Shorter with choppy long layers is the way forward also a selection of colours in that funk it up x

Rhubarbara Wed 22-Feb-17 08:43:45

Hi NewHair, did you get it cut? Can we see?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now