Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Daily SPF

(10 Posts)
Feawen Mon 13-Feb-17 10:13:44

As the weather turns towards spring (hah!), I’m thinking about my annual search for suitable sun protection I can wear on my face every day. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have been using BodyShop Skin Defence (spf50 ++++), which has a lovely light texture, isn’t greasy, and doesn’t leave a white cast on my skin. However, it has a high proportion of alcohol, and makes my skin tight, dry and a little red if I use it a few days in a row. Putting alcohol on my skin when I don't want it to burn seems counterproductive, also.

“Normal” sunscreens all seem to be greasy, white and cakey, or both! I wear them if I’m spending several hours outside in the sun but they seem like overkill for a day at the office when I probably spend 1hr outside in total.

moogletea Mon 13-Feb-17 10:15:39

I love ultrasun spf 30. Think you can get it in a 50 as well. Very light, not greasy and no flashback

Floisme Mon 13-Feb-17 10:21:09

I use Ultrasun Face too. I have sensitive skin so don't experiment very much and this works for me even though it contains alcohol.

Cindbelly Mon 13-Feb-17 10:21:43

I'm embarrassingly new to the idea of having a skincare routine so following as I've brought a cheap Avon cc cream with a factor 50 for my non makeup days, but I'd love to know if there's anything better to use. Especially on my working days as the cc cream doesn't sit right under my foundation.
This might be a daft question.. how can you tell if there's a high alcohol content? The CC cream I got has got loads of ingredients listed that I can't even pronounce, I'm guessing some are probably alcohol?

Inneedofaholiday2017 Mon 13-Feb-17 10:26:42

banana boat spf 50 is very light and not greasy. It's not designed specially for faces but has never given me spots and is the best one I can find.

Feawen Mon 13-Feb-17 11:07:51

Thanks for the recommendations. Ultrasun face spf50 is my go-to for days when I'll be spending more time in the sun, but it does have a bit of a white mask effect on me. I might try the spf30 for weekdays if that's the top recommendation smile.

Cindbelly - alcohols conveniently end in -ol. There is alcohol free skincare out there though I wouldn't know what to recommend you. Personally, I don't have a problem with some alcohol. Linalool is used as a fragrance in lots of skincare, but it's there in small amounts and I don't seem to react to it (though some people do). I'm going to be more careful to check that there aren't alcohols anywhere near the top of ingredients lists in future though.

Cindbelly Mon 13-Feb-17 11:14:16

Thanks feawen that's handy to know.
Lots of ingredients ending in 'ol' in the cc cream it turns out!

I've got really dry skin prone to excezma and psoriasis so I use a lot of oilatum products to combat the dryness but a good spf is a must

mrsmortis Mon 13-Feb-17 12:58:31

I've been using this one: www.bioderma.com/en/our-products/hydrabio/eau-de-soin-spf-30

It's great because I can top it up through the day OVER makeup! I burn at the drop of a hat so it's really important to me.

slug Mon 13-Feb-17 14:00:48

Kheils

ChishandFips33 Mon 13-Feb-17 14:29:04

LRPAnthrlios ultralight - I use it daily on holiday and over two weeks it's never caused an issue

I go to and come home from work in the dark most days atm and don't go out no wonder I'm Vit D deficient!! so don't tend to wear it as much during the week

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now