Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

An outfit that is not try hard but is bloody gorgeous

(16 Posts)
TheresAFlyInMySoup Sun 12-Feb-17 21:50:21

..... am meeting up with old school friends for a meal. Haven't seen them in a while and want to look gorgeous but not too try hard. Am a plump 50 year old. 5'8" - size 14. Happy to spend some money - in my head I think I am some parisienne, über chic fashionista but am actually a slightly dishevelled, disorganised accountant.

Weebleswobbles Mon 13-Feb-17 12:13:47

What body shape are you? Which hoc season are you? (If you've had it done)

As well as help on here, I'd recommend booking a personal shopper session at John Lewis/Debenhams or both! Tell them the occasion, your budget and they will help you put together a wow outfit

TheresAFlyInMySoup Mon 13-Feb-17 13:05:37

Size 14 with a wobbly tummy and huge boobs. Get better the further down I look - neat bottom, no saddle bags and decent legs. Autumn......... just want to find some nice tops that really look pulled together, in a very casual, not try hard way!

Laiste Mon 13-Feb-17 13:17:58

Do you like prints or plain? Sleeves? How about a good quality simple shift dress with some long boots, or heels?

www.johnlewis.com/reiss-turner-tailored-dress-burnt-rose/p3153513

Laiste Mon 13-Feb-17 13:19:22

Sorry, i've realised you said tops. What's your max budget?

TheresAFlyInMySoup Mon 13-Feb-17 15:01:36

£75 but less would be good!

allfurcoatnoknickers Mon 13-Feb-17 15:48:46

Try & Other Stories. They're very modern and chic without being too try hard. Also give good coverage, but still manage to be interesting.

Swimminguphill Mon 13-Feb-17 16:20:05

The other day my sister said I looked really chic and all I was wearing was a black v-neck T-shirt from Hush and Boden black coated skinnies with a simple but long-ish gold pendant necklace. I wonder whether that kind of thing might be the way to go, perhaps with an interesting jacket e.g. leather (or fake leather) jacket in a fun colour - poss blush? Not sure if this would all fit in your budget but the bonus is you'd probably wear it again? Or perhaps substitute the black t-shirt for a black or charcoal silk shirt which would skim any lumps and bumps up top? Fwiw I am quite busty and silk shirts look nice on me if they are structured e.g. with collar, possibly breast pocket etc.

Swimminguphill Mon 13-Feb-17 16:25:51

Also I have the Hush black wrap shirt and I think that might be quite a good option, I often use it for this kind of occasion. Links to what I mentioned:

wrap shirt sorry seems to be sold out but you could look for similar?
silk shirt (argh, also out of stock!)
coated jeans
silk shirt

Swimminguphill Mon 13-Feb-17 16:27:46

This 'leather' jacket is only £19.99 and a bit of a showstopper with black everything else... very zadig&voltaire if you ask me

TheresAFlyInMySoup Mon 13-Feb-17 16:51:18

Some lovely ideas. That jacket is great Swimming - could just ignore the fact that, as an autumn, silver is a no go!

Kennington Mon 13-Feb-17 16:57:28

Wear black
And other stories for jewellery
Skinnies if you have good legs plus slouchy top from other stories
Spike heals with fringes for Parisian chic

Swimminguphill Mon 13-Feb-17 17:04:05

oh sorry I don't know anything about season colours! I think black always looks chic whatever your colouring, but am prepared to be informed otherwise!

TheresAFlyInMySoup Mon 13-Feb-17 17:06:55

You're absolutely right. I had my colours done and then avoided black like the plague for a couple of years. It's creeping back in again now because, well, black is undeniably chic......... If the jacket was in a blush, or a grey then I'd buy it in an instant - just not sure I could carry off silver. Love it though.

Swimminguphill Mon 13-Feb-17 17:23:36

there are loads online in blush or grey - try River Island or how about this bargain from New Look

butterfly990 Mon 13-Feb-17 18:21:06

I would look at famous people and see what style looks great on them and try something similar.

media.gettyimages.com/photos/dawn-french-attends-the-press-night-of-photograph-51-at-noel-coward-picture-id488199036?s=594x594

Dawn French looks amazing in this outfit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now