Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What glasses are people wearing these days?

(43 Posts)
Swearwolf Sun 12-Feb-17 08:22:06

I'm due an eye test, and pretty sure I'm going to need new glasses. I hate wearing my glasses currently and usually wear lenses, so I want to get something nice and reasonably fashionable. I don't get new glasses often and can't take advantage of 2 for 1 offers or anything as my prescription is very strong and I need the lenses thinned down a lot, which is expensive.

I'm early 30s and have a long narrow face and long-distance brown hair with no fringe. I don't think I could pull off big hipster-type frames but try to generally keep up with wear fashion is heading.

Help me get it right!

hollieberrie Sun 12-Feb-17 08:43:14

Watching with interest as am about to get my first pair of glasses...

MirandaWest Sun 12-Feb-17 08:46:42

I have fairly short sighted eyes (about -11) and recommend Asda as they do free thinning (mine were thinned to 1.74 I think) and so cost was only £40 for a pair.

I generally wear contact lenses so only wear them in the morning and evening but they do what I need them to smile

jenthehen Sun 12-Feb-17 08:46:59

Also watching with interest. I'm currently wearing a pair of Ralph Heavy black frames but in need of a change.

HughLauriesStubble Sun 12-Feb-17 08:48:37

My ones are similar to this. I always wore small frames before so it was quite a drastic change and took a while to get used to but I love them now smile Big frames have made a huge comeback!

SagelyNodding Sun 12-Feb-17 08:55:13

Watching too! I went for big frames last time-took ages to get used to them-brown raybans, but now I want something even bigger! Fwiw I have had the Raybans 4 years, but the plastic has really suffered-discoloured and very scratched...

minnymoobear Sun 12-Feb-17 08:57:08

I go to Asda too for thin lenses cheaply and decent frames
Black plastic

ThisNight Sun 12-Feb-17 09:38:43

I wear these. I love them.

YouWereRight Sun 12-Feb-17 10:44:30

Tortoise shell round glasses. My old glasses are horn rimmed and I still wear them a bit too.

Swearwolf Sun 12-Feb-17 10:49:08

I can't believe asda is so cheap! Still, I'm not sure I want to travel that far, our closest one is about an hour away. We've got all the optician brands in town though there is one in tesco about half an hour away, I go to boots as it's a short walk away and have always been quite good.

I like those thisnight!

RainbowsAndLemonDrops Sun 12-Feb-17 10:53:46

I'm not sure if they're in fashion or not but I wear these.

Swearwolf Sun 12-Feb-17 10:55:32

I think those are very fashionable rainbows! I think I have the wrong shaped face for them though, which I think is why I'm struggling.

toomuchfaster Sun 12-Feb-17 11:01:32

I wear Jai Kudo as they are narrow, almost rectangle lenses. Has taken 10 years, bit feel this suit me and have bought the same frame for sunglasses twice in a row!
www.mowon.co.uk/most-popular-k12-4049-eyeglasses-p-7528.html
Sorry for the long link, basically these but in a range of colours.

AverysillyoldHector Sun 12-Feb-17 11:01:37

I've got the Kangol pair in the picture, they are quite big, but very light so dont overwhelm my face iykwim. If you register at Glasses Direct, they will send you 4 pairs to try out. You have them for up to a week and its all free. Much better than rushing into a mistake in a shop.

Floisme Sun 12-Feb-17 11:03:02

I think my face is a similar shape to yours op and I also need a strong prescription and I find a cats eye shape holds the lenses well at the thick end and is also quite flattering. I can't link mine at the moment, sorry but they were eye watering Cutler and Gross (I don't hold back on specs as they're never off my face.)

But I'm also starting to see people in metal John Lennon frames again.

ThisNight Sun 12-Feb-17 11:09:39

There are websites that you can upload a picture of your face and 'try' on different styles - I found this really useful to get an idea of what suited me before going to the ops. The woman in boots who helped me was incredibly patient and helpful.

swimmerforlife Sun 12-Feb-17 11:11:47

These are mine, excuse my non make up face!

I'm quite shorted sighted and wear glasses most of the time other than when I'm reading.

I quite like these, these are navy as black was just too dark on my pale face and blonde hair and navy imo goes with all my outfits that I wear. I also don't feel like my face is big enough for round classes.

TSSDNCOP Sun 12-Feb-17 11:26:07

http://www.visionexpress.com/glasses/ted-baker/female

Ted's, and my sister completely randomly bought the same.

OCSockOrphanage Sun 12-Feb-17 11:34:25

I would like soho but am struggling to justify the cost with varifocal Rx etc.

MiladyThesaurus Sun 12-Feb-17 11:45:48

I got new glasses yesterday (well I ordered them; I'll get them next week).

I'm currently wearing ones that are similar to the tortoiseshell ones. I've ordered the black ones.

I've got crap eyesight (-7 with astigmatism) so I've got thinned down lenses.

Floisme Sun 12-Feb-17 11:48:45

Mine are a very similar shape to Milady's but in grey.

Floisme Sun 12-Feb-17 11:51:02

Sorry - didn't notice Milady's pics were all different. Mine are a similar shape to the black ones but in grey.

Gwenhwyfar Sun 12-Feb-17 12:22:55

Mine are rimless, completely unfashionable, but I don't care.

TheOtherSock Sun 12-Feb-17 12:30:39

Don't forget that if you have a strong prescription, large lenses are out (so Hugh's example wouldn't work), whether they've made a comeback or not grin - every little bit of extra lens makes the lens so much thicker. And you probably won't be able to get rimless ones, if that's something you're into.

Also don't forget that when you're trying them on, whether it's in the shop or from an online store, they'll look very very different with your prescription lenses in, and probably be a fair bit heavier. The assistant in the shop should be able to guide you a bit re: what will work with your prescription, if they're any good. Maybe see if you can get the dispensing optician to advise you, rather than the general assistant (they might be more experienced with strong prescriptions).

Lambzig Sun 12-Feb-17 12:31:32

I have these, really flattering colour and a bit bigger frames than my last ones.

tom ford

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now