Talk

Advanced search

Black tie dinner

(17 Posts)
PinkCloudDweller Sat 11-Feb-17 22:47:52

Hi, I'm going to a black tie dinner in a couple of months and I'm not sure what to wear. I've got a rather beautiful Phase Eight prom dress that is quite nice, but I'm not sure if I should be wearing something more formal?

If you can think of any other dresses, that'd be great. I'm 5'6", size 12 and suit HOC winter colours. This is a work-related event so I don't want to wear anything short or revealing. Thanks!

Harree Sat 11-Feb-17 23:03:12

Prom dress sounds quite formal to me & if you think it's beautiful & you feel great in it, then definitely wear that! In my experience at black tie events, anything goes for the ladies as long as it looks classy/glam...

Weebleswobbles Sun 12-Feb-17 07:14:22

I'm a jewel winter as well OP - what colour is it? Can you post a pic?

PinkCloudDweller Sun 12-Feb-17 09:29:38

It's actually not one of my colours - I bought it before the colour analysis. But it's a beautiful dress, I'll take a picture of it.

PinkCloudDweller Sun 12-Feb-17 11:37:51

This is the dress - quite stiff material with underskirt, so it does look quite smart.

Weebleswobbles Sun 12-Feb-17 11:39:40

It's a beautiful dress but why not find a similar style in one of your 'wow' colours?

PinkCloudDweller Sun 12-Feb-17 11:39:42

The colour is not the best against my skin, but I'm planning to wear if (if I do wear this dress) with a black shawl. Not sure if you'd call it a shawl, actually - it looks like a long length of black, sateen material. This.

PinkCloudDweller Sun 12-Feb-17 11:41:05

Yes, you are completely right. I guess I was trying to avoid having to buy a new dress specifically for this event, as I'm unlikely to wear it much again.

Nellyphants Sun 12-Feb-17 12:08:51

I would wear the dress that you have & buy yourself something fab with the money you would have spent. I think evening wear is such a waste of money

PinkCloudDweller Sun 12-Feb-17 12:44:45

So - this is suitable for the black tie dress code, then?

Softkitty2 Sun 12-Feb-17 15:36:48

I personally don't think its black tie suitable. It's not formal enough..i'd rather over dress than under dress.

sycamore54321 Sun 12-Feb-17 15:42:31

For a dinner, remember you will be mostly seated so your top half needs to look polished and formal. The prom dress has a very informal print and the main style feature is the skirt, which will be lost at a dinner table. It is also very summery in vibe so when is the event. You risk looking as though you're wearing just a nice casual summery top.

PinkCloudDweller Sun 12-Feb-17 17:03:03

Hi both - thanks. I hadn't looked at it that way. I guess you are right. The event is in late April but yes, I know what you mean about the neckline.

RandomWordsandaNumber5 Sun 12-Feb-17 21:15:37

It looks a very pretty dress but I don't think I would wear it to a black tie function. I don't think it's formal enough.
I would go for a full length dress or a cocktail dress, maybe a jewel coloured silk. If you wanted flexibility for future wears, you could have a full length skirt from somewhere like Coast and a boned bodice type top.
Hope this helps

PinkCloudDweller Mon 13-Feb-17 06:58:28

Yes. I agree! Thanks for helping me with this. Actually, I do have a black bodice somewhere, but I worry the completely bare shoulders look will be a bit too revealing. I have small breasts, so I wouldn't look too much on display, but it might be too much bare skin. Hm. I'll think about it.

BikeRunSki Mon 13-Feb-17 07:44:22

I think your dress is too informal. After years of being uncomfortably underdressed at Black Tie events, I bought http://www.phase-eight.com/pws/ProductDetails.ice?UniqueProductKey=202908838&redirect=true&gclid=CKz-38TDjNICFYg-Gwod8mEA6g this]] yesterday and love it! Black tie Dominic about 3 weeks.

PinkCloudDweller Mon 13-Feb-17 21:19:32

That dress looks fab! Thanks, i might have to order it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now