Talk

Advanced search

Help my hair

(7 Posts)
Pigeonpost Sat 11-Feb-17 21:19:07

I have a big patch of scalp psoriasis. I have tried various shampoos and am currently using one called MooGoo which is all natural with milk extracts. Prior to that I used the Lush bar. I use an Aldi shine conditioner on the bottom third of my hair which is one length (between armpit and shoulder). I am trying to wash it every two days minimum but it goes greasy so quickly and looks grim. It also feels dry and crunchy from about half way down. It gets trimmed every 10-12 weeks and the only hair bands I use to tie it up are invisibobbles as my hair is quite fine and damages easily. I'm sure the shampoo isn't right but other than twice weekly T-Gel I don't know what else to try. My hair loves Pantene (scalp doesn't) and I know it is bad. Can anyone recommend anything else worth trying?

humanfemale Sat 11-Feb-17 22:41:13

I have scalp psoriasis too, and get betnovate scalp ointment prescribed from the GP - it clears it up amazingly well. Certain shampoos make it flare really badly - Aussie products are a disaster for me! one I seem to be tolerating okay (and, also importantly, leaves my hair looking great) is Tigi Urban Antidotes, the one in the green bottle.

But my main point is you might want to try the betnovate? I stopped using it while I was pregnant and my scalp was so itchy and flaky, just really uncomfortable.

humanfemale Sat 11-Feb-17 22:45:03

Also I've not noticed that 'natural' hair products are any kinder on my scalp. One of my worst reactions was an SLS free one called 'Naked' or similar :/

HughLauriesStubble Sat 11-Feb-17 23:46:59

I second betnovate, it's expensive (not sure if you have to pay on prescription in the uk but you do here in Ireland) but works amazingly. Thankfully, my scalp psoriasis cleared up as suddenly as it appeared, although I still suffer from itchy flaky scalp depending on what products I use.

For ages I thought I was sensitive to sls but it turns out my real problem was a chemical called methylisothiazolinone which is in many cosmetic products. I avoid it now and am infinitely better! Like human I've found some of the 'gentler' products to be the worst offenders, although I am getting on ok with elave shampoo and simple conditioner right now.

humanfemale Sun 12-Feb-17 10:21:20

Hugh that's really interesting - I knew my psoriasis trigger wasn't SLS, but didn't know where to start in figuring out what it could be...

Pigeonpost Sun 12-Feb-17 12:13:01

Thanks both. I have used Betnovate in the past, maybe a trip back to the GP is in order. Interestingly I really liked that Naked shampoo but they don't make it any more.

HughLauriesStubble Sun 12-Feb-17 13:12:48

human I only twigged it when I began researching how to get rid of the pesky palm psoriasis I've had on and off for years. Turns out methylisothiazolinone is a preservative used in most liquid hand soaps and is a common irritant so I decided to cut it out to see if there was any improvement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now