Talk

Advanced search

In Love With La Roche Posay Effaclar

(16 Posts)
UtahGirl12 Sat 11-Feb-17 18:39:05

Thanks to all you fantastic people recommending this product, I took a chance and ordered it to try and sort out my 48 year old bad skin. It came yesterday, I used it overnight, and OMG I can see the difference already! It has calmed down the redness of my cheek and smoothed out the cystic acne. I can't believe it. So....tell me.....is there anything else I need to order in this range??

ChishandFips33 Sat 11-Feb-17 19:16:57

I love it too - I tried their clear gel wash (£11 one) first and it cleared up a patch of broken veins/weird spot thing on my nose and then began buying up the rest of the range!

I use the effaclar duo
eye gel
Eye make up remover
Two of the moisturisers - one light one intense
The serum
The spring water spray
Anthelios suncream F50 ultra light
Also have the facial scrub but don't use that much

It's the first time I've been able to buy things that my skin doesn't react to (I break out in a rash with water some day!) so I'm happy to spend on LRP

It's often on offer in boots too smile

janknitti Sat 11-Feb-17 19:23:26

Another fan here as well - buy 1 get 1 half price in boots at the mo if you need to stock up !

BagelGoesWalking Sat 11-Feb-17 19:35:53

I really want to buy it for my DD17, she had bad spots on her forehead and around her hairline. Not really acne (I don't think) but they seem to be getting worse and more of them.

BUT the Effeclar is more for oily skin and although her forehead is more oily, overall she has dry skin. She gets red areas under her eyes.

I've looked at the sensitive/dry skin products by LRP but they seem to be more for the dry skin and less for spots. Would it still be worth trying Effeclar, do you think?

Atm, she used micellar water for cleansing, Aveeno intensive Moisturising lotion at night, bourjois concealer/foundation, mascara, eye makeup. I don't think she's allergic to any of the makeup she's using.

ChishandFips33 Sat 11-Feb-17 20:32:23

Bagel...does your DD use hairspray or hair products on the front of her hair?? I get more spots on my forehead and finally clicked it was the spray I was using!

I have oily and dry skin and effaclar is fine - it goes under moisturiser so the dry spots can be addressed

BagelGoesWalking Sat 11-Feb-17 22:53:58

Chishand no, she doesn't use hairspray although I never would have thought of that!

Thanks for the info about Effeclar, I definitely think it's worth a try. I'm going to try and get a referral to a dermatologist but that will take time, I want her to have a go with the LRP products as so many people seem to recommend them. Thanks again

UtahGirl12 Sun 12-Feb-17 20:36:01

Thank you! I think I'm definitely going to try the cleanser gel. I think I need a moisturiser on top of the Effaclar as well as my skin seems a bit dry. I'm still using my L'Occitane Shea Butter over the top at the moment, but I'll look at the LRP range for one.

MoreProseccoNow Sun 12-Feb-17 20:59:16

I bought the Purifying Foaming Gel on the recommendation of MN. Best product I've ever used! I'm mid 40's & my skin feels great on it.

chocolatespiders Mon 13-Feb-17 07:44:24

Bagel - the aveeno crem at night sounds heavy and may cause her spots. My DD -19 has used LRP for the last few years. The soothing moisturiser everyday and at Christmas she bought herself a set with the face wash in which is very good.

Chrisinthemorning Mon 13-Feb-17 07:47:52

I find the Effaclar wash and toner very drying. I'm using Toleraine cleanser and fluid (both LRP) after a rec on here. Very good.

chocolatespiders Mon 13-Feb-17 07:50:01

www.superdrug.com/Skin/Face/Moisturising-Lotions/La-Roche-Posay-Effaclar-H-Moisturiser-40ml/p/714560?gclid=CjwKEAiArIDFBRCe_9DJi6Or0UcSJAAK1nFvfu2YoBENu6XzUtYsNHxQGPMIPwNOn-uGoeFstXEOMRoCe53w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

BagelGoesWalking Mon 13-Feb-17 23:34:36

So how about buying the following:
- Effaclar 3-Step Anti-Blemish System (mainly for her forehead & areas where there are spots)
- Effaclar A.I. Breakout Corrector
- Effaclar H Moisturiser 40ml (as recommended by chocolatespiders

BUT, as her skin is dry overall, should I buy some Toleriane products in case the Effaclar is too harsh (as Chris found) and keep the Effaclar mainly for any bad breakouts? <confused>

- Toleriane Foaming Gel Cleanser OR
- Toleriane Dermo-Cleanser
- Toleriane Ultra Eye Contour (as she gets red areas under her eyes)
- Toleriane Ultra Fluid Moisturiser

Would love any advice!

Chrisinthemorning Tue 14-Feb-17 07:53:42

I have the dermo cleanser- I wash it off though, and the ultra fluid moisturiser. I use Effaclar duo on my chin which is where I break out.
The ladies on fantastic skincare thread might help- they helped me- amazing!

urbansprawl Tue 14-Feb-17 10:34:46

Hello Bagel!

If your DD has dry skin, I'd skip any sort of foaming cleanser - they tend to be quite drying, which can oversimulate oil production and make acne worse. I would suggest:

- Toleriane dermo cleanser (and be very gentle when using it)
- something with a BHA to exfoliate the areas where the spots are the worst - this one from Paula's choice is excellent
- a light layer of LRP Effaclar Duo
- an additional moisturiser for dry areas - the Effaclar one is OK, but personally I'd want some SPF protection, like Avene UV Light
- a breakout corrector (again, the Effaclar AI one is pretty good) for targeted treatment

Sometimes with acne it's better to kill it with kindness rather than try to nuke it with loads of harsh products. Also, important to leave spots alone as much as possible, keep makeup brushes clean and so on. Good luck!

BagelGoesWalking Tue 14-Feb-17 12:56:23

Thanks Urban yes, I'm very hesitant about her using anything too harsh that will make her skin worse, hence all the questions before pressing "buy"! She's good at washing her (many) brushes on a regular basis but she does fiddle with her skin, I beg her to leave them alone but I can see she's been squeezing and making them 10 times worse.

So my shopping list looks like this:

- Effaclar 3-Step Anti-Blemish System (mainly for her forehead & areas where there are spots)
- Effaclar A.I. Breakout Corrector
- Effaclar H Moisturiser

- Paula's Choice SKIN PERFECTING 2% BHA LIQUID
- Toleriane Dermo-Cleanser
- Toleriane Ultra Eye Contour (as she gets red areas under her eyes)
- Toleriane Ultra Fluid Moisturiser

I don't mind getting 2 different moisturisers as I can probably use them if she doesn't. I note your point about the moisturiser and SPF but might try this one, just to keep the product range(s) to a minimum?

Tangfastics Wed 15-Feb-17 03:47:07

I also think LRP Toleraine is brill.

I used to use Aveeno but give it a wide berth these days - I was astonished to find it full of parabens!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now