Talk

Advanced search

Stylish shoes/boots for walking?

(16 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Sat 11-Feb-17 10:58:14

Are there stylish alternatives to trainers? I am trying to give my image a bit of an overhaul so want to stay away from trainers and leggings. However, I do lots of walking (it is usually the only 'out of the house' time I have every day) so am looking for smart looking shoes or boots that will go with jeans, skirts and dresses, while being suitable and supportive for walking. I can add insoles for comfort but they will have to be flat as my back isn't great for walking in heels.

Any ideas?

BusterGonad Sat 11-Feb-17 12:11:57

I went in a 2 week holiday with my trainers for the day, as we always walk for miles, within the first 2 days I had to bin them as they got soaked in the rain and literally stank, I only had my Clarks brogues and after a day they were fine, I always wore socks with them but bear in mind we walk miles and miles in 'holiday'. I suggest Clarks for comfort.

ChishandFips33 Sat 11-Feb-17 13:31:19

Not massively stylish but I gravitate to my dr martens if I'm walking any distance in this weather - the standard ankle ones or the calf length zip up ones

I also have some Caterpillar calf and ankle boots which do the same job but are pull on so sometimes rub if walking too far

ChishandFips33 Sat 11-Feb-17 13:32:28

Shoes wise - brogues and, come the better weather I live in Ecco gladiator sandals

EatSpamAmandaLamb Sat 11-Feb-17 13:50:43

Brogues. I live in brogues and DMs, I'm not walking far at the moment because I'm unwell but when I was well I walked 15000 steps a day min and good brogues and DMs always served me well.

Judydreamsofhorses Sat 11-Feb-17 14:18:19

I don't own any heels, and mainly wear flat Chelsea boots, with both jeans and short-ish skirts/dresses in winter. I have really wide feet and my current pairs are Ecco and Clarks - I usually do about 15,000 steps a day like a pp. I also have some Ugg leather biker boots which I don't love in terms of how they look, but they are comfy and waterproof on rainy days.

HughLauriesStubble Sat 11-Feb-17 14:57:30

Ooh I love the idea of dms I haven't had a pair of them since my teen years! I've had a few pairs of Chelsea boots and liked the look of them too but I found the soles very hard and I got knee pain from walking in them. Perhaps a really decent quality pair with good insoles would be better.

LoupGarou Sat 11-Feb-17 15:05:00

I think mukluks are the best ever walking boots, there are lots of brands but I have several pairs of Manitobah Mukluks and they are without a doubt the most comfy boots on the planet. I think they're stylish but DH always sniggers when I wear them hmm so I might not be the best person to ask.

ChishandFips33 Sat 11-Feb-17 16:42:01

My ankle DMs are the Pascal ones - leather much softer and there's no band at the top to rub - wore them in in only a few hours. I have a couple of pairs now

My calf ones - the black pair wore in super quick so I bought a brown pair - cannot get the buggers to 'give' across the top of the foot so wished I'd sized up on those ones. Think the brown leather is thicker/stiffer somehow

dudsville Sat 11-Feb-17 16:52:41

I've got some waterproof leather boots from timberland. Good grip. Comes to just below knee (i'm 5'7"). I don't know what it's called but they were on sale at Christmas. Comfortable, warm, dry feet, easy to clean.

Hopefully Sat 11-Feb-17 16:56:28

I have a few options if I'm going to be on my feet all day:

- chelsea boots - rubber soled ones seem to be softer and don't leave me with a tired sole of my foot at the end of the day!
- Converse with tailored for chucks insoles in - if you have wide feet these might not work though, as they take up quite a lot of space inside the shoe.
- lace up leather ankle boots like this
- erm, trainers. But lots of different styles!

MagentaRose72 Sat 11-Feb-17 18:01:17

Fly London shoes and boots are my fav for stylish comfort

plimsolls Sat 11-Feb-17 18:03:35

I've got Chelsea boot style DMs. The soles are good thick proper DM soles so good for walking in.

BlueGoats Sat 11-Feb-17 18:08:20

I have smart Ecco sandals, brown leather Rieker shoes, and a pair of Vans. Or there are some trainer-style shoes that have a very plain leather/suede style finish - Sketchers used to do some, not sure now.

AnotheBloodyChinHair Sat 11-Feb-17 20:29:48

Geox Stardust

BarchesterFlowers Sat 11-Feb-17 20:34:13

I like Pikolino Lisboa here, they come in all sorts of flavours, different colours, leathers, features. Shoe type and boot type, I have several pairs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now