Talk

Advanced search

Rosacea - red wine trigger?

(14 Posts)
namechangedtoday15 Fri 10-Feb-17 16:59:44

I've had mild rosacea on one patch if my cheek now for about 18 months.

I've always thought it was hormone related (more little pimples around the time of my period) but I'm wondering now if it could be exacerbated by red wine.

I've had a couple of weeks off red wine and my skin is looking better than it has for a while. I drink red wine every weekend - maybe 0.5-1 bottle over the weekend.

Difficulty is I love red wine. Has anyone else found that giving up red wine makes a difference? I've also eaten more vegetables since Christmas (probably double what I was eating before) and drinking more water. Could that be why (or is it likely to be a combination of all 3)?

Also if red wine is a trigger, do I have to assume all alcohol is, or is there something about red wine?

If anyone has any advice, I'd be really grateful.

humanfemale Fri 10-Feb-17 18:18:41

Alcohol definitely definitely makes my skin flush. Since I've stopped drinking I have much clearer, less ruddy skin! It was one of the first changes I noticed.

Destinysdaughter Fri 10-Feb-17 18:54:25

Alcohol definitely makes it worse and especially red wine! It's shit sad blush .

Blastandtroph Fri 10-Feb-17 19:24:19

I find drinking lots of water helps mine. Not sure of my triggers yet (stress is definitely one) but I suspect red wine is also one of mine. Got to say I've found a real improvement since using the Clinique redness range - 3 weeks in and my skin is noticeably less inflamed and sand papery.

namechangedtoday15 Fri 10-Feb-17 20:04:27

Thank you. Damn! Not what I wanted to hear but my skin makes me miserable every time I look in the mirror so it'll be worth the sacrifices (if I can stick to abstinence!)

Bestthingever Fri 10-Feb-17 21:39:07

Red wine is the biggest trigger for me. After stopping it for a really long period, my skin was almost back to normal. I can have it now and again but leave long gaps in between. I also love red wine so it's a big sacrifice but had to be done.

girlelephant Fri 10-Feb-17 22:03:15

It's often triggered by:
Alcohol
Spicy food
Hot temperatures

I struggle without the first two so wash my face with cold water, try to avoid showers being too hot and when in the shower don't get my face wet.

I love hot countries when on holiday but my skin is awful during it!

I found Dermalogica helps

yongnian Fri 10-Feb-17 22:09:28

Only certain types of red wine make my rosacea worse - any that are 'oaked' (apparently the sulphites in the tannin of oaked wine causes the flush and burn)
Have switched to either Burgundy, Beaujolais - no flush, no burn.
Still have rosacea but much more containable now.

simmonsbythesea Fri 10-Feb-17 22:11:40

It's not red wine per se, it's the histermines red wine contains, and some contain more than others. I'm afraid I don't know which are worse though, you might have to do a lot of red wine drinking to narrow down the grape/variety/region you can tolerate - kind of bitter sweet as your condition may flare up during the "research" but great if you find a wine you can tolerate, rather than giving it all up completely?!

namechangedtoday15 Fri 10-Feb-17 22:24:31

Thank you everyone, that's so helpful. Lots to think about.

ny20005 Fri 10-Feb-17 22:34:04

Alcohol, sugar & yeast used to make mine flare. I was given the choice to take these out of my diet or go on antibiotics & I chose the tablets ! Magic !!

ThanksForAllTheFish Fri 10-Feb-17 23:38:38

Most alcohol (although red wine is the main culprit) and malt vinegar do it for me. Something to do with the sulfites I believe. I get the classic alcohol flush and my ears feel like they are on fire.

Startoftheyear2017 Fri 10-Feb-17 23:50:29

I have recently been almost 'cured' after seeing my GP and being given antibiotics and a fantastic cream to apply every day. If you haven't been prescribed something go and see if you can get some!

Blastandtroph Sat 11-Feb-17 10:37:07

On having a glass or two last night can definitely confirm red wine is one of mine. May try non tanin ones as suggested by yongnian rather than abstain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now