Talk

Advanced search

How often do you go through your wardrobe and get rid of stuff

(12 Posts)
gottaloveascamhun Fri 10-Feb-17 15:42:49

that doesn't fit, is too tatty or generally not useful? I'm clinging on to stuff that makes me look frumpy and I don't know why!

EatSpamAmandaLamb Fri 10-Feb-17 15:50:23

Once a quarter.

Laiste Fri 10-Feb-17 15:59:16

Since reading Marie Condo (sorry to bring it up so soon!) i have chuck out every time i feel a bit fed up with taking the same darn thing out of the wardrobe every two or three days.

So - not regular, but as soon as i'm bored with an item now i chuck it or charity it without the pangs of guilt i would have pre Condo grin

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Fri 10-Feb-17 16:20:24

Every two months or so here.

specialsubject Fri 10-Feb-17 16:26:40

Surely you get rid of what you dont wear, not what you do?

chanie44 Fri 10-Feb-17 16:43:38

I wear the majority of my wardrobe, so I tend to get rid of stuff when it starts to look tatty/holes etc.

When I had a major clear out, I put my clothes into 3 piles - keep, throw and keep for now. The 'for now' pile was the most difficult, but as i started to update my wardrobe with items I loved, it became really easy.

MeadowHay Fri 10-Feb-17 16:47:40

About twice a year for things that I never really wear with the exception of formal outfits as they're only not worn much due to not many opportunities to wear them but I can guarantee if I got rid of my nice dresses everyone I know would suddenly be getting married! So that special stuff says, but anything else that is not worn or only worn once or twice and in good condition gets offered to my younger sister and anything she doesn't want (which will be most of it) goes to charity shop.

With things that are actually wrecked it's just on a as and when basis. So if something rips then it goes in the bin (unless it's just a tiny hole then it will be sewn by DH grin). Same with things that I suddenly realise are extremely faded/bobbly etc.

Candlesonthetable Fri 10-Feb-17 16:52:16

I only have a limited wardrobe (by design) - for the winter I have two pairs of jeans, four tops, three work dresses, two thick jumpers, one coat, one smart dress for weddings etc, plus lots of vests to go under things. As soon as I don't like it anymore (i.e. it's stained beyond redemption, shrunk in the wash, doesn't fit etc) I get rid. I don't have anything in my wardrobe I don't love! I then go shopping for whatever it is that I have just got rid of. So the throwing out of things is a rolling process. I keep an eye on things as I wear them all at least once a week (apart from smart dress) so can see when something is on the way out.

RebelandaStunner Fri 10-Feb-17 17:01:05

Only a few things once a year because I'm very fussy these days and only buy things I really like for the best quality I can find.
So underwear, vest tops etc get chucked roughly once a year everything else lasts much longer.
I am trying to have a smaller wardrobe full of lovely stuff so buying less, without going as far as a capsule.
If it looks frumpy/tatty/doesn't fit get rid you won't miss it.

gottaloveascamhun Fri 10-Feb-17 17:06:36

I'm inspired to do a cull now grin

LiefieLiefie Fri 10-Feb-17 21:46:01

Fairly regularly. I stick a load on eBay, give it two goes if it doesn't sell and then charity shop it.

sunshineglitterprincess Fri 10-Feb-17 22:36:59

As soon as I realised something doesn't fit, is a bit tatty or just really not useful.

Also done the Marie Kondo method so as soon as something stops sparking joy it goes into a bag in the airing cupboard that once full goes to charity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now