Talk

Advanced search

Interview on Monday - help me get it together please!

(18 Posts)
LollipopViolet Fri 10-Feb-17 09:56:25

I am very nervous about this interview, didn't think the phone interview went well so was surprised to be offered a face to face one. I like the sound of the role so want to do well - so want to look nice.

It's an admin role and all the admin/office based people I've met look so put together - how do I achieve similar?

I need to buy new smart trousers as mine are all baggy due to having lost weight, or tight due to not quite having lost enough blush

Also need a new foundation as I hate the way my current one looks.

I have a smart bag in a cognac brown so will use that as I love how it looks.

Any other advice on how to look and feel good at this interview?

Celeriacacaca Fri 10-Feb-17 13:54:32

Next might be a good place to look. I got some wide legged gray fleck trousers there and they are great. Look good with a blouse, cardigans polo neck or shell top and jacket. Keep it simple with discreet jewellery and make up. Make sure your nails and hair are looking good, your shoes are clean etc. Good luck.

LiefieLiefie Fri 10-Feb-17 21:58:51

Second Next, particularly the clearance. Also check out Zara if the sale is still on.

I have had a few interviews in the past couple of weeks and had a couple of different looks.

1 was a black shift dress similar to the picture (that's currently in the Next clearance sale for £18) with a Zara Chanel-style boucle jacket.

2 is cigarette trousers with a white shirt and contrasting colour blazer. Something like this and this

I currently have my eye on this for work, but you may not want a print. Also really like this

polyhymnia Fri 10-Feb-17 22:44:32

Agree with celeriac - keeping it simple is best. For example I don't think the Asos 'flippy hem' dress would be a good interview choice - too fussy.

LollipopViolet Sat 11-Feb-17 13:48:37

Thank you all - I'm near a Next tomorrow so will have a look. Yesterday I got a new BB cream and colour corrector and now love how my skin looks so I'm getting there.

I did find some nice fitting trousers and a top in my wardrobe so if Next doesn't reveal anything it's not a huge problem.

happypoobum Sat 11-Feb-17 15:07:14

I do a lot of interviewing. Agree that nails and hair are very important. You will spend most of your time sitting across from the interviewers and they will only be looking at your from waist up (unless you are standing for a presentation?)

Be calm, smiley and confident. Remember, they want you to do well.

Good luck.

LollipopViolet Sun 12-Feb-17 19:25:02

No presentation, thankfully! It's weird, I had a 20 minute phone interview on Thursday where all the general questions were asked: about my last jobs, when I could start, my education and qualifications, whether I had any preference on hours (there's 2 start/finish times). It was one of the most detailed phone interviews I've ever had. So I don't really know what tomorrow will bring, apart from some English and Maths assessments.

I've just taken my old, chipped nail polish off. Am sorting my bag with all the ID and documents I need, will wash my hair later, and have an idea of what I'm doing makeup wise in the morning.

Must remember to BREATHE!!!

CoffeeDiamonds Sun 12-Feb-17 22:46:44

Good luck!

ChishandFips33 Mon 13-Feb-17 07:02:27

Hope it all goes well

StealthPolarBear Mon 13-Feb-17 07:04:07

Good luck lv!

TheVeryThing Mon 13-Feb-17 07:13:21

Good luck today, let us know how you get on.

ReginaGeorgeinSheepsClothing Mon 13-Feb-17 07:15:50

Good luck today!

LollipopViolet Mon 13-Feb-17 20:22:44

I looked awesome, but didn't feel the interview went that well. So I went and looked at pretty dresses and makeup to cheer myself up. Then booked a lesson/makeover with the lovely ladies at my local bare Minerals counter - they offered to do it before I went to meet friends for a meal on Monday smile

Also, BB cream applied with a brush is fabulous! I've been blending with my fingers up until now but tried it this morning and I'm converted!

ChishandFips33 Mon 13-Feb-17 20:47:47

Well if the interview doesn't get you the job you win on the make over front so not all bad news

Fingers crossed that your instinct is wrong (it was regarding the phone interview grin) and they offer you the job flowers

LollipopViolet Wed 15-Feb-17 10:17:53

Well, I didn't get a second interview. But you know what? I looked nice grin and it was my first interview in over a year so onwards to greater things!

StealthPolarBear Wed 15-Feb-17 17:26:05

Oh I'm sorry sad never mind, good practice

TheVeryThing Wed 15-Feb-17 18:39:26

Sorry to hear that, but I'm sure it will have been good interview practice. Best of luck with the job hunt

ChishandFips33 Wed 15-Feb-17 21:50:16

At least you got some interview experience - and you found your look smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now