Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Bio-oil, does is REALLY work for stretch marks?

(11 Posts)
MrsTittleMouse Tue 27-Feb-07 21:13:20

I was watching daytime TV today and there were loads of adverts for bio-oil. According to the ad, it reduces stretch marks, but the model has obviously not even sniffed a pregnant woman, so I'm wondering if anyone in the real world has used it.
I had an enormous bump and now my stomach has purple stretch marks, but (worse) the texture of the skin has become quite crepey. I've been using Dove intensive firming gel cream, which I think has been helping.
Any ideas???

Lizzylou Tue 27-Feb-07 21:21:26

I didn't use Bio-oil during pregnancy (despite being advised to!)but after DS2 (a massive 10lb + boy!) I used it to fade the (relatively) few marks I had and it really worked...I rubbed it straight on (didn't bother bathing in it) and was really pleased, have only used one bottle too.

wheelsanddollbaby Wed 28-Feb-07 08:59:23

I have awful Zebra striped stretch marks on my stomach. I don't think anything other than surgery can help me even though I put olive oil on my stomach religiously throughout my pregnancy. I use bio oil on my face every morning. It really moisturises my skin well and helps any scars I may have from squeezing spots fade really quickly. No so sure about the stretch marks cure but I still recommend it for face and body moisturerizing.

maveta Wed 28-Feb-07 09:06:25

Will let you know... I´m 32weeks with my first and have been using bio oil since about my 4th month. Luckily I´ve been given it by family in south africa where it seems to be cheaper but as I haven´t paid for it I´ve almost finished my third bottle! I find it quite hard to use just a little of it. It says just a few drops but if you have to do your belly, your boobs, your lower back and your bum and thighs, you still end up using quite a lot.

So far I´m doing fine but a lot can happen in these last 8 weeks so I´m not counting my chickens. But you might aswell give it a whirl, no?

DeputyMacDawg Wed 28-Feb-07 09:15:11

I used Bio oil and Palmers Cocoa Butter and didn't get many marks.

twelveyeargap Wed 28-Feb-07 09:15:53

I did a MN survery on stretch marks a while ago. The consensus was that if you're going to get them, you'll get them. After about 700 responses, there wasn't any hard evidence that any preparation worked.

People who got stretchmarks prior to pregnancy were more prone in pregancy (no surprises there). People with fair skin also seem to be more prone.

Bio oil may very well help the skin to heal and reduce scarring - I didn't ask that, but we couldn't see that it was a magical prevention for stretch marks.

It's said that they happen from the inside out, so nothing you put on the outside will stop them.

thehairybabysmum Wed 28-Feb-07 09:19:41

I used Biooil and did get stretch marks but i do think it has helped with fading them, i also had lots of small scars on my legs from hideous pregnancy rash that made me itch myself to shreds and i think it has helped to fade them too.

At the very least it is a just a really nice skin moisturiser, rubs in easily and doesnt feel greasy so i just think anything else is a bonus.

I thought stretch marks were hereditary so doubt any product would make a massive difference.

It is cheaper to buy in Lloyds chenists than it is in Boots (or was last time i looked).

Astrophe Wed 28-Feb-07 09:21:23

I found that it did not work - my stretch marks are shocking.

sazzybee Wed 28-Feb-07 09:28:09

I've never had a stretchmark in my life and I've not bothered with anything special to prevent them. I'm now measuring nearly 42 weeks and still not got any.
It seems to be genetic I'm afraid. Although some people do say that bio-oil is good for fading them but I suspect any Vit E based oil would probably have a similar effect. And probably a lot cheaper than a tenner a bottle too.

MrsTittleMouse Wed 28-Feb-07 10:49:25

Rats, that's pretty much what I thought, but a girl can hope eh?
I think my only hope would have been to have delivered 2 weeks early like my Mum, during the last fortnight the stretch marks went nuts over my bump. Mind you, my Mum saw me at 37 weeks in my undies and was at my shiny purple skin. She told me recently that she thought that I'd never get anywhere near normal again, but thought it probably wasn't best to tell me at the time!

Short rant: why do they never show real Mums in the adverts?!?!?

LaCerbiatta Wed 28-Feb-07 11:18:16

I didn't get any strech marks when I was pregnant but I got shingles (a zillion times worse) and ended up with horrible scarring on my face. I've been using bio oil once a day for a couple of weeks and I already see a difference. I think it does work on scars and other blemishes. It's not the vitamin E in it it's something else...
When I first got the scars I tried to find something that really worked and apparently lots of americans swear by pure vitamin E (they break open liquid capsules and rub it in the scar)....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: