Talk

Advanced search

Is there anyway to prevent receding gums?

(10 Posts)
EatSpamAmandaLamb Thu 09-Feb-17 21:16:05

I've always had a gummy smile which I've worked hard on, meaning I smile without showing them.
However now it seems like the gums above my front few too teeth are starting to recede and I can see more and more of my tooth and it doesn't look great to be honest as I already have quite the mouth full of teeth. My mother has the same thing and my grandmother too, so it is hereditary but is there anyway to prevent this? Is there anyway to hide is cosmetically? I'm 34 and my mouth looks old. I'm scared as my lips shrink with age my gummy smile will come into play more and my front teeth will now look oddly exposed too.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Thu 09-Feb-17 21:54:54

You can get botox in your lip/gum and it stops your lip from pulling back as far when you smile. I think that would be easiest/cheapest long term.

antimatter Thu 09-Feb-17 21:58:18

Visit a Periodontist who can assess what's going on.
Oral hygienist or a Dentist are skilled enough to do basic assessment if you are suffering from Periodontitis.

EatSpamAmandaLamb Fri 10-Feb-17 10:28:38

Thanks both. I remember similar happening to my mum around 35/40 and nothing really came of it/she didn't have any issues re her teeth or gums when she visited the dentist and they just told her it was aging. In a way I hope it is just the same for me and not a dental issue. I have a dentist appointment in a couple of weeks so hopefully they can reassure me there and maybe injections are the way forward. I feel too young to be starting on such extreme action but needs must.

Housewife2010 Fri 10-Feb-17 13:46:37

If you're not already using an electric toothbrush, get one. I was pressing too hard with a manual toothbrush and my guns have receded. Electric ones are less likely to exert as much pressure.

NomDePlumeReloaded Fri 10-Feb-17 13:50:20

Smoking contributes to gum recession, so if you are a smoker try to give up.

Visit your dentist for proper advice re gum care.

(That sounds aggressive. It isn't meant to be).

coolcahuna Fri 10-Feb-17 13:55:56

I had this on one side tooth which was basically over brushing and had gone really high and was uncomfortable. My dentist put a patch on it gum coloured. Looks really natural and protects teeth. 3 years on it still looks good and protects the tooth.

nickEcave Fri 10-Feb-17 14:29:28

Get your dentist to advise you - you may be over brushing or using a toothbrush that is too hard. Do you use interdental brushes? They are great for getting teeth properly clean - I used to sometimes get bleeding gums even when I flossed and used mouthwash but since I started using interdental brushes my mouth is a lot healthier.

Nowthereistwo Fri 10-Feb-17 14:40:08

As pp I've over brushed my side teeth. Now have an electric and haven't noticed it getting worse.

EatSpamAmandaLamb Fri 10-Feb-17 15:49:54

I don't smoke and never have and I use a soft head on my electric toothbrush.
I'm interested about the gum patch. I also need my infill caps (broken front teeth) replacing so maybe all at the same time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now