Talk

Advanced search

Home hair colours - what's the Holy Grail?

(21 Posts)
KoalaDownUnder Thu 09-Feb-17 06:20:11

Finally accepted that I need to start colouring my own hair, as part of Budget 2017. sad

Haven't used a box dye in years, and I know new formulas come out regularly. What's the best on the market? I have longish, fine, medium-brown hair - looking for grey coverage and shine.

Thanks in advance!

Unicorn81 Fri 10-Feb-17 16:34:52

I use this all the time, foam is so much easier to work with

www.johnfrieda.co.uk/homecolour/precision-foam-colour/

mizu Fri 10-Feb-17 21:29:28

Second this, easy to use.

GayParee Fri 10-Feb-17 22:07:46

I was perfectly happy with nice n easy light ash brown, good coverage and pretty close to natural hair colour.

I would recommend going a shade lighter than you think though, they always come out very dark

EatSpamAmandaLamb Fri 10-Feb-17 22:20:49

I use nice n easy inbetween salon colours for my roots, I need to do my roots every 3 weeks because I have very dark hair that grows quickly. My hairdresser compliments me on it and it looks very natural.

camtt Fri 10-Feb-17 22:22:20

another john frieda, it's easy to use and has decent natural looking colours

ginorwine Sat 11-Feb-17 19:45:42

Can you do just yr roots with the foam one or do you need to apply to whole head to cover roots ?

Mrsmaudwatts Sat 11-Feb-17 19:55:15

Buy the professional stuff online. I use loreal majirel

GlitterGlue Sat 11-Feb-17 20:17:54

I don't find the John Freida foam much good for grey coverage, although it does make my hair very shiny.

GlitterGlue Sat 11-Feb-17 20:18:57

L'Oréal Excellence does give good grey coverage, but is rather less good shine and condition wise.

Flisstizzy Sat 11-Feb-17 20:27:31

Nice & easy gives good stubborn grey coverage. Olia dried my hair out terribly

EatSpamAmandaLamb Sat 11-Feb-17 21:02:16

Yes nice n easy is very good at grey coverage.

dementedpixie Sat 11-Feb-17 21:07:44

I ûse Garnier nutrisse

KoalaDownUnder Sat 11-Feb-17 21:25:20

Thanks for all replies!

Greys are only at the temples/sides, not all the way through. My hairdresser does roots-only every second visit.

My hair is quite fine and porous, though, so am worried that if I do roots only it'll be really obvious?!

dementedpixie Sat 11-Feb-17 21:36:50

You do roots first then apply to the ends for a shorter amount of time e.g. I do 25 minutes on roots then apply to the rest and leave for 10 more minutes

KoalaDownUnder Sun 12-Feb-17 01:03:22

Thanks demented - can't believe I hadn't figured that out blush!

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Sun 12-Feb-17 01:07:18

I find that the mid to dark brown dyes wash out to an orange shade.
I did get a brilliant Vogue dye that didn't do this a few months ago but I think it's been discontinued.
Dangnabbit.

GlitterGlue Mon 13-Feb-17 18:52:24

You need an ash shade to avoid the orange. I find using touch of silver purple shampoo also helps avoid the ginge tinge.

Knitella Mon 13-Feb-17 20:02:36

After reccomendations on here I have started using L'Oréal Majirel (6.0 deep dark blonde which comes out as a natural dark brown - my natural non grey colour). I am SO impressed with it. A lovely natural brown with better brown colour under light (i.e. not the orange reflect you often get), excellent coverage of grey and the colour has stayed beautifully well over the last few weeks.

I have used various box dyes for years on and off - going to the hairdresser at times when I've had more cash. This is by far the best. I'm so pleased!! Thanks S&B!

I purchased from Salons Direct and used the 20 vol L'Oréal oxydant as per instructions. Mega detailed instructions (74 pages covering various L'Oréal prof hair colour ranges) can be found here m.capitalhairandbeauty.co.uk/Downloads/Documents/Majirel_Guide.pdf

It explains colour coding/colour science in more detail than I've seen elsewhere.

I love that I have an extra tube I can use to mix up small quantities of dye for obvious roots between colours. If you use what you buy (the oxydant comes in a large bottle so covers many colour jobs) it is cheaper than box dyes or about the same price as a cheap one.

JoJoSM2 Mon 13-Feb-17 20:34:09

Perhaps you could look for a cheaper, mobile hairdresser? It seems a bit harsh to have to diy it...

fridgepants Wed 15-Feb-17 17:13:31

I reckon the majority of people DIY it. Unless you are going bright blonde - which is hard to do yourself without a lot of research or toner - it's not the hardest thing in the world. I've dyed my hair at home since I was 16, and unless I went for a drastic change many people thought it was my natural colour. The one time I got it done professionally I really was not impressed with the results, so I never thought of going back.

Second trying professional colours - it's a bit of a learning curve as it's not all pre-measured for you and harder to get hold of, but the results will be better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now