Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

My wedding dress (skirt actually). Please help! What do you think?

(26 Posts)
PrivatePike Wed 08-Feb-17 10:09:24

Hello all. Feel like I have been banging on about wedding dresses for months. I could really do with some neutral input on my choice of wedding dress - which, er, isn't actually a dress but separates. I'm 5'3 - should I have a train on this skirt??
It's from www.laceandliberty.com

Wish I could be a bit calmer about everything.

Gaaaah Wed 08-Feb-17 10:20:30

Aw, it's beautiful private. How big of a train would you want? Are you wearing heels?

I wore a cathedral veil instead of having a train on my skirt. Meant I could take it off later.

AdaColeman Wed 08-Feb-17 10:23:22

What are you having for the top?
I'd say that the skirt is incredibly pretty and you should let the shape of the skirt make a statement, so not have a train which would alter the silhouette of the outfit.
Also you are quite small, so a train might swamp you a bit.

What sort of head dress are you having?..... And flowers?

parklives Wed 08-Feb-17 10:26:11

No train. It's a lovely dress (skirt,top) and doesn't need a train, the skirt is very full as it is.
I agree with making a statement with a longer veil, but I think it's more stylish to have a shorter one (like photo).

PrivatePike Wed 08-Feb-17 10:26:34

Thank you!! I really like the top which is pictured above, actually.

I was definitely leaning towards not having a train, but then the 'online stylist' was going on about how great it would look, so I felt swayed...

PrivatePike Wed 08-Feb-17 10:28:04

Veil length is another thing I'm not sure of - do you think cathedral length would go with this?

nigelforgotthepassword Wed 08-Feb-17 10:30:32

I don't think it needs a train.
Beautiful skirt, and that top with it is great.

AdaColeman Wed 08-Feb-17 10:39:09

Yes the top in the picture is lovely.
I think an elbow length tulip shaped veil would work well with the dress, maybe ribbon edged, nothing too ornate.

PrivatePike Wed 08-Feb-17 10:44:21

This one?

PrivatePike Wed 08-Feb-17 10:47:29

Headress is a tricky one, because I have a full fringe (at least, I think that makes it tricky). I like the idea of a delicate looking circlet thing.. :/

AdaColeman Wed 08-Feb-17 10:59:11

It's a bit heavy and shapeless don't you think? Have a look at the Wedding Veil shop, they have a design called Valerie which is very pretty and wouldn't swamp the delicate line of the skirt, and I think it would go with a circlet nicely.

PrivatePike Wed 08-Feb-17 12:10:51

Thanks Ada, the Wedding Veil shop was a good tip - the Valerie does look rather prefect

AdaColeman Wed 08-Feb-17 12:52:38

Oh glad you like it! smile Let us know what you decide on, I think you will look beautiful.
Have you thought about flowers?

PrivatePike Wed 08-Feb-17 13:10:34

Thanks for putting up with me bleating on! I really like gypsophila, wild flower kind of style. Daisies maybe??

burnishedsilver Wed 08-Feb-17 13:15:31

I vote no train. The skirt is lovely as it is.

AdaColeman Wed 08-Feb-17 13:15:35

Yes, I think something not to structured would work best, what season is the wedding in?

AdaColeman Wed 08-Feb-17 13:32:57

Have a look at the flowers from "The Great British Florist" the Cottage Garden collection is really pretty, click on the main photo and it takes you to more, I love the pale blue and pink one with the anemone at the centre.
They do a Wild collection too, but I'd be worried that the flowers would droop very qickly.

PrivatePike Wed 08-Feb-17 13:39:03

Yes, I think no train it is - which is cheaper too, a bonus grin

Wedding is this summer!

LoupGarou Wed 08-Feb-17 19:50:07

Definitely no train, the outfit is stunning just the way it is. I hated my train, it got leaves, mud and stuff all over it, was a real pain. I had the dress altered so it coukd be buttoned up but the bastard thing was still a nuisance. I had a cathedral drop style veil and I loved it (the one bit of my wedding outfit I actually liked!).

If you like sparkly headbands Kirsten Kuehn does some stunning stuff www.shopkirstenkuehndesigns.com I was a matron of honour not long ago and my dress had a Kirsten sash, it was absolutely amazing.

What other colours are you having in your wedding? Cornflowers, Love in a Mist and Muscari would look pretty in a cottagey sort of way. Sweet peas? Peonies?

LoupGarou Wed 08-Feb-17 19:50:58

Craspedia is another very pretty flower

LoupGarou Wed 08-Feb-17 19:53:44

This gold twig circlet is very pretty www.etsy.com/ca/listing/495234922/top-gold-bridal-headpiece-classic?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=wedding%20circlet&ref=sr_gallery_2

LoupGarou Wed 08-Feb-17 19:56:16

This is also very pretty, and this shop on Etsy seem to do a lot of floral circlets
www.etsy.com/ca/listing/485191594/simple-rustic-flower-and-berry-headband?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=wedding%20circlet%20leaves&ref=sr_gallery_17

PrivatePike Wed 08-Feb-17 20:44:00

Thank you grin Sweet peas are an excellent idea, I hadn't considered them! And Love in a mist is beautiful - ohh thanks. The gold circlet is exactly the look I'm going for thanks!! Hopefully my fringe works with that style.

Atm I'm getting stressed about sorting bridesmaids outfits. I'm keen on the idea of skirt and tops for them too, but it's proving hard to get right. Anyway, that's probably another thread.

Surreyblah Wed 08-Feb-17 22:26:18

Lovely. The photo makes me think of Anne of Green Gables, and Gilbert!

Agree with PPs, no train and no "cathedral length veil".

LoupGarou Wed 08-Feb-17 22:42:12

Glad I could help - I adore flowers and where we live now its too cold for flowers so I am happy to live vicariously through others smile. Lisianthus might work well, perhaps lily of the valley too?
Eucalyptus and rosemary are nice for some greenery if you want some foliage too, dusty miller leaves are also pretty and silvery green.

I had a fringe on our wedding day and wore something similar and I thought it worked well, might be biased though grin.

I love wedding threads please start as many as possible grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: