Talk

Advanced search

Dress code - smart

(5 Posts)
dancemom Tue 07-Feb-17 23:07:35

Have been invited to an awards ceremony next Friday and today received the invitation saying dress code - smart.

I'm a jeans and converse type person and have very few "smart" items much less outfits! To make it worse I'm doing Slimming World and have dropped a dress size so most items in my wardrobe are too big. However I don't want to shell out on an item that (hopefully) won't fit me in another month.

So can I get away with a grey tunic and black leggings and heels as smart?

If not any suggestions of a cheap "smart" dress? I'm size 14, don't like bright colours, prefer v neck due to large bust and still need drapy rather than fitted!

Feawen Wed 08-Feb-17 11:03:15

Congrats on your weight-loss!

For a smart work event I’d expect men to be in lounge suits and women to wear equivalent smart things. I’d put on a silk blouse tucked in to a pencil skirt with tights and low block heels, but I think that slim fit trousers with a smart top and a jacket/blazer would also be suitable, or a jersey dress “dressed up” with tights (not leggings), heels and maybe a pendant necklace.

I’d feel conspicuously underdressed in the outfit you describe at an awards event. You know your industry best though – is it a casual one in general? It also depends on your role in the ceremony – will you be sitting down in the audience or is there a chance you’ll be presenting or collecting an award?

If you need a new outfit then a dress is probably your cheapest option as there’s only one item to buy. Jigsaw have some nice dresses in muted colours in their sale, which might work for you: www.jigsaw-online.com/category/sale/womens-dresses . I like the confetti fit-and-flare dress, or the silk-tencel in petrol, but there are a few to choose from that are various degrees of drapey. Monsoon might be worth a look for dresses with a v-neckline – like this one: uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_1,mon_1.2/9520986114 .

FauxFox Wed 08-Feb-17 15:21:58

If the tunic and leggings are good quality and pristine new looking I think you could get away with it as long as you have great hair (prof blow dry?) nails, makeup, jewellery and shoes.

If there is any hint of fading/bobbling/wear then I would get something new. Opaque tights would be smarter than leggings if the tunic is not too short...

NewPantsforaNewYear Thu 09-Feb-17 00:17:59

I don't think the leggings really sound quite smart enough.
How about something like this?

Or, if you're used to jeans, would you feel happy in trousers and a top or shirt?

NewPantsforaNewYear Thu 09-Feb-17 00:21:40

This dress is a fantastic bargain at Jaeger Outlet and sounds as if it would suit your shape. You could possibly eBay it once you'd had your time with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now