Talk

Advanced search

John Lewis Personal Shopping - depressing

(29 Posts)
bleughhh Tue 07-Feb-17 19:19:21

Hi all - feeling very very old! I went to John Lewis and had a personal shopping appointment, trying to find 'weekend mum clothes that didn't make me feel drab' and was brought shed loads of Mint Velvet and Phase 8. Mostly black, grey and khaki (I'm a 'bright spring' for those of you who are into that sort of thing and a 'natural ingenue'). I don't want to look all Boden-ish or like a CBeebies presenter but the colours were so off on me, it was incredible. I even told her I was a spring (they do the colour analysis thing there). I now feel like I am too old for the shops I like (not really but it's a bit depressing to find that's what brands she put me with!). Generally, I like Whistles, Reiss for work (too glitzy for going out stuff), All Saints leather jackets, coolish trainers (but not teenage cool!), skinny jeans or girlfriend jeans etc. Even a bit of topshop... I think I may have to spend the evening putting in the time on the internet and doing a few huge online orders so I can try stuff and send 70% of it back.... annoying as I work nearly full time and have three small children. Am 41 though. Maybe that was why I got all the Phase 8. Am cracking open a bottle of wine...

DukeOfWhistleton Tue 07-Feb-17 19:28:21

How rubbish! Mint velvet stuff can be lovely (though I've had some p155 poor quality items) but their colours can be a bit drab and certainly not suited to your colouring. I like a bit of topshop and all saints so I hear you. Not sure I fit the bill with other brands but often have a lot of luck with zara and mango. Good mix of colours with them too. Quality can be great too worth a look? Put today behind you. Think perhaps the personal dresser had limited choice or wasn't that great?😬

LadyOfTheCanyon Tue 07-Feb-17 19:35:32

What were you hoping for? I don't mean to sound at all goady but if you're already shopping in Zara, Topshop etc and have had your colours done it it sounds like you have no problem with high street shopping and know what you want, so JL with its middle aged, conservative ( mostly) clothing was always going to be a bit "off" with your tastes, no?
What about the same experience in HOF - not ideal but some of their lines are a bit edgier than JL?

LadyOfTheCanyon Tue 07-Feb-17 19:36:46

Don't know why I said Zara and Topshop when you said Whistles and Reiss - sorry!

bleughhh Tue 07-Feb-17 19:55:27

Ha, don't worry! I was hoping for some cool outfit combinations I hadn't thought of and thought personal shoppers would have more of an idea of what is 'in' and would save me time! I don't buy much from topshop at all but have a little look every now and then. I like Hush too and they have that. Yes, I'll just stop being lazy and have an online mooch myself. It's not that hard really... I'll try to choose a few thins outside my comfort zone in case I end up liking them...

PacificDogwod Tue 07-Feb-17 19:58:30

How very disappointing! For you thanks - and for me grin as I was working up the nerve to go for a personal shopping session.

Did you just book the appointment? Or do they ask you some questions beforehand?? You know, 'what do you like? where do you normally shop? any favourite colours? Are you an apply/pear/hour glass shape?

I assumed the session would be tailored to you - is that no the whole point??

hmcAsWas Tue 07-Feb-17 20:00:58

I like phase 8!

bleughhh Tue 07-Feb-17 20:04:56

And I bought a navy and white fitted knitted top from mint velvet that was nice!

bleughhh Tue 07-Feb-17 20:08:20

Pacific Dogwood - I think it might depend on which shopper you get. I booked online and have a detailed brief re colours, brands I like etc and what sort of clothes I was looking for but that's optional. She didn't seem to have read any of that (or taken it in) and just relied on a quick chat but I did reiterate the colour thing. Maybe there just isn't much stock in at the moment.

Hmcaswas - sorry... I shouldn't have been so rude about those two brands. I have bought the odd thing from Phase 8 but it doesn't really suit my shape I think.

simmonsbythesea Tue 07-Feb-17 20:10:50

Never used a personal shopper in JL or anywhere else, but did you say you liked All Saints, Whistles etc....when you briefed her? Am confused as to why she ignored that and brought you really quite opposing brands in terms of style? You'd have thought a personal shopper would be briefed on each brands core customer types, which demographics, income brackets, interest in fashion, general lifestyle etc etc and ask questions accordingly to narrow down what they show you?

Sounds like she either had a remit to promote certain concessions, was either too old or too young to "get" you (although that makes her quite crap at her job), heard the word "mum" and had a preconceived idea of what that meant....

Agree with PP, shopping in the places you already do, and knowing your colours, you probably have a good idea of what you already like. I'd browse Pinterest or Instagram to find whole looks you like and go from there...

PacificDogwod Tue 07-Feb-17 20:12:11

Ah, thank you smile
A friend of mine had a very good experience with a personal shopper in House of Fraser a couple of years ago.
She had 2k to spend and my, did she get her money's worth!

Hm. I hate clothes shopping with a vengeance, so thought this would be a relatively painless alternative.

simmonsbythesea Tue 07-Feb-17 20:12:13

Typed too slow and you answered my questions...doh!

ggirl Tue 07-Feb-17 20:12:32

how disappointing
its meant to save you time isn't it
do they do the service in any other dept stores ?

bleughhh Tue 07-Feb-17 20:13:02

Hi simmonsbythesea - yes, I am sure you (and everybody else!) is right. I was just being lazy/hopeful they'd have some good ideas for things I hadn't thought of. I think she didn't get me at all. I should have said something when the huge rail of clothes arrived really...

littledinaco Tue 07-Feb-17 20:17:19

Sounds like she was just rubbish! Like anywhere, some people are fantastic at their job, others less so.
The larger topshops used to do a personal shopper service, not sure if they still do.

Coconut70 Tue 07-Feb-17 20:21:43

I had a similar awful John Lewis experience. All mint velvet and greys, pale pinks. I looked hideous I am very pale, freckly with reddish hair grey just makes me look washed out. My two sisters found it hilarious as I was dressed in grey flouncy outfits. I had so been looking forward to it, it seemed like she saw me early forties and automatically went for mint velvet. x

bleughhh Tue 07-Feb-17 21:37:36

Hee hee Coconut - sorry, but I'm glad it's not just me. I think maybe paying for an independent one who can access all the brands might be the way forward. But they are so expensive and you could have the same issues - they don't quite 'get' you and try to put you in a category you don't feel comfortable in. I won't be doing it anyway.

I think there must be some better-for-me personal shoppers at JL (as
loads of people rate them) but it made me feel very past-it. Personally,
I'd love to go to selfridges but only on the basis that they'd include their cheaper brands and I know they won't. They have all saints, warehouse, whistles etc (as well as a bit of Maje etc) - they only really cater for the upper end of their price range which is beyond me! Selfridges even has topshop... (I just want to try the skinny jeans, that's all!)

bleughhh Tue 07-Feb-17 21:38:49

Have ordered some Leigh jeans from
Topshop. And yes, they do do personal shopping but I really am too old to be buying more than the odd bit from there!

Nonibaloni Tue 07-Feb-17 21:47:17

I went for a job as a personal shopper. We had to select an outfit to match a customer. Was hilarious watching teenagers selecting for women in their 50's. So much beige. Don't even ask what happened when they suggested a size 16 customer.

I really enjoyed the experience and like to think I was doing well.

I didn't get the job, I think cause I couldn't do full time

bleughhh Tue 07-Feb-17 21:52:45

You sound good!! Shame you didn't get the job... it'd be really fun! Mind you, I'd probably try to put everybody in skinny jeans and trainers (maybe boyfriends in the summer). It must be so hard styling somebody in a way you think would suit/appeal to them rather than choosing stuff you like.

Twinklyfaerieglade Tue 07-Feb-17 21:59:37

I am 54 and feel frumpy in Phase 8. Like some Mint Velvet styles but do wish they would realise that colours other than black, grey and cream exist. Please don't give up. At your age I couldn't find my fashion mojo. I dressed older and looked older then than I do now.
Never went down the personal shopper route but what did help me choose great clothes for my age and lifestyle were certain fashion bloggers. Not Dressed as Lamb , Midlife Chic and Retro Chic Mama worked for me. Take a look. If they are not your cup of tea they link to other bloggers who may be.

bleughhh Tue 07-Feb-17 22:22:34

Awh, thanks Twinkly... yes, I totally feel like I've lost my fashion mojo. It's very heartening to hear you felt that too and then found it!! I have started looking at some blogs - fashionmumof40 (v elegant but maybe too sensible for me), chloelovestoshop (love it) and myfashionable40s. I have been told I look a little bit (very very little - I can't see it) like Louise Redknapp a few times so have just started following her blog on instagram today! Like the way she dresses very much. Love 'dresslikeamum' but too funky for me! Gotta love her attitude and style though. Thanks all for your ideas. Am busy pinteresting before I do an online shop. Did a big clothes cull/sort last night too so am on a roll....

KatyS36 Tue 07-Feb-17 22:25:17

Hmm, I had such a disappointing jl experience that I complained. Sort of similar, except the jeans she sold me stretched so much I had to return them. I did get offered d an appointment with a 'more appropriate' staff member, plus some free credit, but didn't have the time to follow up. Similar views on mint velvet. It was clearly obvious the colour (or style) didn't flatter, and £70 for not nice polyester.
Its them not you.
Katy

EggsEleven Tue 07-Feb-17 22:27:08

I think JL was probably the wrong place to go. There is a good shopping centre near me that offers a personal shopper so she has access to the approx 80 shops there so has a v wide selection dependant on taste. Is there anything similar near you rather than focusing on one shop/dept store?

RipMacWinkle Tue 07-Feb-17 22:34:13

I had a similar experience. The woman was lovely but brought mostly black and dark grey despite me also revealing I'm a Spring. Even if I'm not I have super pale skin and look half dead most of the time.

I thought I'd get fresh ideas but actually did better with a group of very honest friends who made suggestions based on me.

I think if you get the right person and, maybe more importantly, if JL have clothes to suit it would be fab. You're totally at the mercy of what's in colour and style wise.

My favourite was being brought size 4 shoes because they didn't have much in my size. Fair enough because I'm a 2.5/3. I felt like I was a child wearing my mums shoes again grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now