Talk

Advanced search

Bra intervention help please - does this bra fit me?

(24 Posts)
Irritatedmama Sun 05-Feb-17 12:30:13

I've measured myself using the " new" system ie not adding inches to the waistband. I come out as a 32C. I've always work 36A in the past as I'm quite wide around the rib cage.

I've bought this new bra which is 34 C. I usually wear underwired t shirt bras which are a lot more padded so I'm struggling to work out if it fits or not. It feels comfortable but my boobs look different to how they usually look in a bra so I'm really unsure.

Rockpebblestone Sun 05-Feb-17 12:38:10

I can't tell, from the picture, whether the satin at the bottom, is part of the cup. If it is, it looks like you are not filling the cup at the bottom.

Rockpebblestone Sun 05-Feb-17 12:39:34

Also it looks like you might swell over the 'v' at the front if you lean over.

Irritatedmama Sun 05-Feb-17 13:16:58

The underwriting sits where the two folds of satin sit.

Irritatedmama Sun 05-Feb-17 13:21:40

Here it is on the M and S site.

www.marksandspencer.com/lace-padded-plunge-bra-a-e/p/p22476392?prevPage=plp&pdpredirect

dementedpixie Sun 05-Feb-17 13:35:17

Why get a 34C if you measure as 32C as they don't have the same cup size? The sister size of 32C would be 34B as if you increase the back size you decrease the cup size to maintain the same cup volume. Does the wire sit quite far down your rib cage? Have you scooped in from the sides?

Shelvesoutofbooks Sun 05-Feb-17 13:38:10

The cup seems too big

Strongbeatsskinny Sun 05-Feb-17 14:13:56

That's a plunge bra try a balcony one or dare I say it ask one of thier fitters to do a five point check. All M&S fitters are now having retraining on bra fits and the old way isn't anything like the way they do it now.

CMOTDibbler Sun 05-Feb-17 14:24:23

I'd say its the wrong shape bra for you - try a balconnette or half cup style in the 32C

If the wire is in line with the bottom then the bra is sitting too low.

As it's sitting now, it's actually looking too small in the cups; ignore the lace overlay and focus on the solid cup part. It appears to be cutting in to your breast tissue.

Can you test the band backwards please (so put the bra on back to front and then see how far from your body you can pull the band?

ALso, what are your actual measurements ?

iMatter Sun 05-Feb-17 18:55:17

I agree - it looks like the cups are too small and it's cutting in to your boobs but I suspect it's the wrong style for you.

Irritatedmama Sun 05-Feb-17 20:31:08

Measurements are a fraction under 32 under bust and 34.5 around nipples.
Breastfeeding two children has taken away all the fullness especially at the top.

I bought bra's before I measured because I was seduced by the pretty bras Rosie Huntingdon Whiteley sells in Marks. A mistake anyway because all of the lace means they don't look right under clothes anyway!

This is a different style in 34B.

If I put either on backwards I can pull the strap a good 2 inches away from my body.

My problem is that after years of wearing a 36 band I'm struggling to get my head around being a 32 and think that it will be too tight and be uncomfortable after a few hours. Plus I'm broad with small boobs and however ill fitting they were 36A t shirt bras made me look more balanced.

dementedpixie Sun 05-Feb-17 20:34:27

36A has the same cup volume as 34B and 32C but the smaller back size would be more supportive. To put it into perspective I wear a 36 back bra but am a size 20/22.

The 34.5 measurement, was that taken standing up, or leaning over, bra off, with your boobs dangling? The overbust measurement shouldn't be tight at all, no compression of tissues

a 34B would normally be an overbust measurement of 36", and that looks like it might be a tad small (look at the bulge under your arm)

I'm only asking because the fit of these bras doesn't really tie with a 34.5" overbust.

dementedpixie Sun 05-Feb-17 20:35:59

The second bra is much more flattering than the first bra

PacificDogwod Sun 05-Feb-17 20:39:09

The first bra is one of those new-fangled 'high apex' bras - I've got one, and it does make my shape weird different hmm

I think if you are aware that you have less volume at the top, go for a balconette bra - the 2nd one is much better.

Irritatedmama Sun 05-Feb-17 20:39:53

It was taken standing up. Leaning forward it's 36.

Irritatedmama Sun 05-Feb-17 20:42:06

I should probably add that I've just stopped breastfeeding so I'm not sure if these are the boobs I'm going to be left with permanently. Pre children I wore a bra to make it look as though I had boobs rather than for support.

OK, normally you'd use the leaning measure for your overbust rather than standing and that ties in a bit better. M&S sizing can be a bit variable at the best of times and can sometimes run a bit small in the cup which is possibly what's happening here.

Your starting size would be a 32D, but given what you are seeing with fit I would suggest also trying a 32DD as I think you might be someone who needs a slightly bigger cup size than they measure. Or that might just be those particular bras.

Athrawes Mon 06-Feb-17 08:00:18

I went from 34C to 30F and actually the tighter band feels ok. My boobs look far better and far less back spillage if you scoop. Feels counter intuitive that a tighter band would look better on the back, but honestly if you scoop and put it all up front, it looks better. I think you would better suit a half cup (called a balconette in M&S).

SpringsInMySteps Wed 15-Feb-17 19:36:58

Hello - I need a bra intervention too please. Have lost a couple of stone and some of that has gone from my boobs. Have been wearing 32FF but have been having to do up on the tightest hooks and getting v gappy at the top.

A measurement has revealed I am now 29 around the bust and 36 hanging boobs. I think this means I am now a 30G but am not sure.

I would also like some advice on bra styles for my spaniels ears shallow boobs. Since DCs/breastfeeding they are much droopier than they used to be so the moulded cup/padded cups seem to be empty at the top. Don't have any under-arm fat at the moment - but I used to - so I think this means I need a wide/shallow kind of fit. Any style suggestions gratefully received please.

29 and 36 would be a 30E/F or a 28F/FF

Proper half cup/balconetes are generally good if you have lost upper fullness. This might recover, it often does after you stop feeding

SpringsInMySteps Thu 16-Feb-17 23:53:16

Thank you. Order a selection to try on. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now