Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Going shopping this morning - what skincare shall I get for my 40's tired skin?

(22 Posts)
Honey1975 Sun 05-Feb-17 08:56:38

I'm 42, on medication which I'm sure is starting to age me quicker. I look tired and my skin is dry but with more occasional spots. My neck is starting to look wrinkly😩. I don't have a proper skin care routine and I think I now need to make more effort.

I am quite sensitive to products so was thinking of buying from the Avene range in Boots. Can anyone recommend this range and what sort of things should I buy? There is so much choice I just don't know. I need something quite simple & quick or I won't stick to it!

hyacinthwannabe Sun 05-Feb-17 09:03:21

I bought the Avene range because like you I'm early forties and skin was starting to show. I found it irritated my eyes and the moisturiser was too rich so I had lots more spots.

I was buying my usual bare minerals make up when I noticed they do skin care. It's AMAZING! my skin is so fabulous now. Pores smaller no more rough dry patches. It actually glows. I highly recommend it.

jeaux90 Sun 05-Feb-17 09:04:42

Aveeno range is more for your body than face. I use it, the shower gel and body cream. I have very sensitive skin and use the embryolisse range from boots on my face but you can only order online. Their day and night moisturisers are great and I really like their radiance product for under makeup or with the moisturiser. I'm 45 by the way.

Also the REN 1 minute facial product is great for when you need a boost for a night out or meeting xx

jeaux90 Sun 05-Feb-17 09:06:47

I mis read that sorry grin by the way I went for a few IPL sessions on my face and neck and it really made a difference It got rid of some broken blood vessels and increases the plumpness of my skin (it increases collagen production)

Honey1975 Sun 05-Feb-17 09:12:14

Thanks, that's good to know about Avene as it's not the cheapest.
I've wasted so much money in the past on things that just don't agree with me after a few uses.

bingohandjob Sun 05-Feb-17 09:12:30

Superdrug B.range - they do different range for different ages. I've used loads of spendy ranges and this is great. Often on offer, and suits my very sensitive skin.

Crispsheets Sun 05-Feb-17 09:14:18

I've used Dermalogica ultra calming wash and Age smart moisturiser for years...And the age smart exfoliant/masks.

bingohandjob Sun 05-Feb-17 09:16:12

BOGOF on the website www.superdrug.com/B-Skin/B-Skin-Phase-1/c/bs-bphase1 I use their day cream, night cream, eye cream and serum. I use Eve Lom cleanser - It's the only cleanser I can use all over my face (sensitive skin around eyes) but have heard very good reports on the Superdrug's own cleansing balm (Vitamin E one I think)
www.superdrug.com/B-Skin/B-Skin-Phase-1/c/bs-bphase1

VintagePerfumista Sun 05-Feb-17 09:17:05

Go and ask Botemp and the gang on the Skincare thread.

I'd go for something like La Roche Posay. But they have eleventy billion ranges with fancy names so you need to do your research.

For your neck, buy a big pot of blue Astral and slather that on. Never used anything else on my neck and at 51, I have the neck of a 17 yr old. Hmmm. wonder if it will work on boobs

Mominatrix Sun 05-Feb-17 09:17:29

Best skincare is actually adequate hydration (inside and out), good nutrition, enough sleep, and sunscreen.

In terms of topical, a gentle face wash, a retinol, a moisturiser which absorbs easily, then a sunscreen is the best you can do for yourself. The exact one will depend on your skin type - La Roche Posay is a decent, well priced one.

For more serious things, no expensive cream will cut it - a trip to a good dermatologist will.

Sherlock35 Sun 05-Feb-17 09:19:49

Avene is lovely. The new Boots Lift and Luminate serum is very nice. Soap and Glory do nice face stuff too

ChishandFips33 Sun 05-Feb-17 09:24:13

Boots Traditional range glycerin and rose water is only about £2.50 a bottle and lasts ages. Great for moisturising and also cleanses a little

Can't remember if it has lanolin in though which you may be sensitive too

Honey1975 Sun 05-Feb-17 09:56:26

Thanks for the suggestions. I find a lot of moisturisers don't actually make my face feel moisturised,. They either just sit on the top of my skin or it still feels dry a few minutes after using. Maybe it's the consistency, should I go for a lotion or more creamy? Would serum help?
With cleansing, I was thinking of trying a michellar water. I do feel most clean after washing with my clinique wash off cleanser but is the water drying my face out?

CouldHaveNotCouldOf Sun 05-Feb-17 10:02:19

I can't use Micellar Water although sometimes I forget this and give it a go. It's taken my skin a month to recover from using it at Christmas. Couldn't work out why my skin was so sore and flaky and it was the micellar water (Garnier)
I use Emma Hardie balm for cleansing and then a spritz with Avene or LRP thermal spring water stuff. Then Kiehl's midnight recovery or Kalme night cream.

VintagePerfumista Sun 05-Feb-17 10:10:59

Micellar water is very Emperor's New Clothes I think, and most dermatologists /skincare experts don't rate it.

Cetaphil is an unperfumed cleanser which is often recommended for sensitive skins, and you really need a hot cloth type to properly cleanse.

Cerave is a moisturiser also recommended by the gurus on here.

Do go and complete Botemp's analysis thingy though- the ladies on that thread know their stuff and are infinitely patient. It's also very interesting (and eye-opening) about how less fancy packaging and cheaper non branded stuff is actually better than the fancy schmancy highly advertised and visible pink boxed (Soap and Glory looking atcha) stuff.

The latest thread is called Ditch the foundation....and in the OP there is a needs analysis quiz that they will look at for you.

VintagePerfumista Sun 05-Feb-17 10:13:27

Which Clinique? TTDO gets good reviews but a lot of Clinique stuff is mega harsh. Remember Clinique (way back when) was touted as a brand for problem (ie oily/acne etc) skin, hence the white coats etc. It was only when they realised that people are going to be reluctant to approach a brand like that that they switched.

Some stuff can be v harsh though.

Calphurnia Sun 05-Feb-17 10:18:15

How about Clarins Beauty Flash Balm? I use it as a mask overnight once or twice a week when my skin is feeling a bit ravaged from children/ swimming/ makeup/ central heating/ weather

namechangingagainagain Sun 05-Feb-17 10:22:15

Maybe an acidic toner? I use the pixi glow one but there are lots out there.
I thought my skin was so flaky because I wasn't moisturising enough.... It turns out I needed a chemical exfoliant instead

Honey1975 Sun 05-Feb-17 10:24:36

It's the take the day off cleansing milk. I find it ok but I find the superdefense moisturiser which cost me a small fortune doesn't do much for me.

SpongebobRoundPants Sun 05-Feb-17 10:29:38

Organic rosehip oil. Amazing stuff.

ChishandFips33 Sun 05-Feb-17 12:18:44

The glycerin and rose water won't leave your skin feeling dry - I used it (wiped it over my face with a cotton wool pad after cleansing last night) and my face still feels soft and supple

bingohandjob Sun 05-Feb-17 14:50:58

Hot cloth cleansing will make your skin feel properly clean - but I never user the mimsy muslin cloths they include,I use a proper flannel in hand hot water. I use Eve Lom and swear by it for my stupidly fair and highly sensitive skin

Beauty: Hot cloth cleansing

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/mar/26/hot-cloth-cleansing-beauty?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now