Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

It's the HOURGLASS thread! Share your buys/finds for Casual, Work and Occasion that make the most of your hourglass shape!

(172 Posts)
Weebleswobbles Sun 05-Feb-17 08:41:32

Hopefully title says it allgrin

Very excited to hear from other hourglasses for exciting inspiration.

LiefieLiefie Sun 05-Feb-17 11:50:53

Ooh I do hope that this becomes an on-going thing. I massively struggle with finding work or occasion clothes that don't make me look matronly or over-the-top too sexy. Matronly is not a look I'm going for at 27.

For work/casual, I've found that the Warehouse crew jumpers are great. Not too thick, but not clingy. Enough boob room without highlighting my muffin top. Warm and wash well.

Weebleswobbles Sun 05-Feb-17 16:02:52

I found these today in gap. I already had the curvy boot cut jeans and wanted a similar style in skinny

http://www.gap.co.uk/browse/product.do?cid=1026113&vid=1&pid=000635957000

Weebleswobbles Sun 05-Feb-17 16:05:02

http://www.gap.co.uk/browse/product.do?cid=1026113&vid=1&pid=000635957000

Link fail - they are curvy true skinny jeans in indigo

Suenahmi Sun 05-Feb-17 16:08:44

Why oh why must they advertise jeans for curvy women on models with few curves..she is an absolutely different shape to me. I am on the border between a pear/hourglassearch, but have no idea how those jeans would look on a more average woman.

Suenahmi Sun 05-Feb-17 16:09:22

Hourglass not hourglassearch

MissMogwi Sun 05-Feb-17 17:07:46

Marking my place! No recent finds, however I had luck in TK Maxx last year with dresses for events. As they have random designers, I dropped lucky with a couple of gorgeous dresses that fit really well.

cheapskatemum Sun 05-Feb-17 18:00:58

Apart from attending a dressmaking class so that I can make clothes that fit round my boobs, waist and bum, the best fitting items I've bought this year are M&S skinny & super skinny jeans. I bought a pair of each in black. They're high waisted & for a change don't try to bisect me at the crotch. Now looking for tops to wear them with!

MakingMerry Sun 05-Feb-17 18:32:51

The best fitting thing I have found this year is the Mumsnet-approved Hush ruched skirt. It's on the short side, so particularly good if you are short.

www.hush-uk.com/womenswear/daywear/skirts/modal_ruched_skirt_1.htm

I'm having problems finding tops at the moment. V-necks work best for me, but there's few of them around this year, and Pepperberry, which can normally be relied on for something, has the Vs cut so low they go to to bra band, which is not a look for the office.

Wallis are normally good for wrap dresses, but sometimes I want to wear something more casual.

EggsEleven Sun 05-Feb-17 20:32:13

I find fitted jersey dresses like this in various colours really handy and flattering for work.

Weebleswobbles Sun 05-Feb-17 21:31:39

Welcome cheap, making and eggs
Cheap -* am envious of your skill - I can't sew on a button

Making - I'm eyeing up the hush skirt - does it flatter by accentuating your waist?

Eggs - the dress looks lovely - ticks all the 'hourglass' boxes

MakingMerry Sun 05-Feb-17 23:01:13

Weebleswobbles Yes it's very stretchy so it fits at the hip and the waist, which is something I can rarely get trousers to do, but the double layer and ruching mean it doesn't look skin tight. I wear it with an oversize top which looks okay - if I'm wearing looser trousers (to fit my hips) I try to go for a fitted top, but finding those at the moment is proving challenging.

Fingerbobs Mon 06-Feb-17 09:14:43

Trousers for work! Everything I try makes me look like Mrs Slocombe. Do I just have to admit defeat and stick to skirts?

AgathaF Mon 06-Feb-17 11:38:21

Great idea for a thread. I like the look of the Hush skirt, but everyone says it's on the short side, so I've not bothered as I'm on the tall side. Would be nice to find something similar but slightly longer.

MakingMerry Mon 06-Feb-17 13:32:59

Boden have a ruched skirt in longer sizes, Agatha, but I haven't tried them and can't comment about how they fit.

www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/womens-skirts/wg657/womens-ruched-skirt

AgathaF Mon 06-Feb-17 15:09:15

Thanks for that MakingMerry. They actually look a bit too long, but I might order one and see what it looks like.

Eastwestbestrest Mon 06-Feb-17 15:51:53

Is anyone here the same awkward hourglass shape as me? I'm an hourglass but most hourglass recommendations look awful on me because:

I have massive shoulders which make me look huge combined with my big boobs and disable upper arms (in reality am only a 12-14)

I have a little waist and big hips but skater dresses and 50d style skirts and dresses look bad because instead of carrying weight on my lower abdomen I kind of carry it in the bit between my boobs and naval so it doesn't nip in there (but my waist does!!)

I can wear most things when I'm a stone or two lighter but feel like nothing at all suits me at my current weight and shape.

Eastwestbestrest Mon 06-Feb-17 15:52:28

That would be sizeable upper arms. Not disabled. hmm

KatharinaRosalie Mon 06-Feb-17 20:34:43

Agatha I habe both the Hush and Boden ones, I'm 5'6 and the hush is indeed way too short, but Boden is decent knee length on me. Can recommend.
Baukjen also does one, but I haven't tried that.

50degreesintheshade Mon 06-Feb-17 22:40:13

I'm only 5'1 so the hush skirt is perfect on me, the hush Tara dress is also great for hour glasses. Being so short I have totally given up on trousers 😕 never found a pair which fits.

cheapskatemum Mon 06-Feb-17 22:48:07

weebles thank you, but I was very rusty, hence joining a class, it's actually called dressmaking for beginners, so I wouldn't be too envious... yet!

I like the Hush ruched skirt in burgundy, but it's sold out sad

SunnyL Mon 06-Feb-17 22:59:08

cheapskate I make a lot of my own clothes. I only started 5 years ago but I'm pretty proficient now.

I've generally avoided all A line skirts as I hate them on me but I recently made myself a skater dress and what a revelation it's been. It feels very young but my goodness it's a great shape on me.

I'm keen for work trouser options as well. I recently bought jeans from M&S - the uplift ones which are lovely but weirdly I had to go up a size compared to all the other jeans.

allfurcoatnoknickers Mon 06-Feb-17 23:05:48

fingerbobs Pricey (I lurk and buy on sale), but I highly recommend Paige for jeans and trousers. They are perfect for the massive of arse and thigh and tiny of waist.

I can also just about get away with plain black topshop Jamie jeans and a long top for work on more casual days.

I've also had very good luck recently with dresses from & Other Stories.

allfurcoatnoknickers Mon 06-Feb-17 23:08:33

Oh and I have two pairs of drapey black silk joggers and they are the shit. This kind of thing. Skims the thunder thighs and the silk fabric makes them fancy enough for work. Worn with a cardigan and a nice blouse and some low heels/wedges.

PacificDogwod Mon 06-Feb-17 23:08:47

Baukjen.

I am a recent convert and slightly obsessed with them

Their rushed tops are flattering without being all out 'sexy' (not what I am for at work), wash really well, are comfortable and reasonably priced in the sale and on eBay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now