Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Show me your specs!

(39 Posts)
puglife15 Sat 04-Feb-17 23:02:50

Glasses wearers - please will you post pics of your specs?

I'm after some awesome-yet-not-hideously-expensive eyewear inspiration. My frames are currently roundish brown tortoiseshell ones from specsavers men's range and I'm a bit bored of them now. Seen some etnia Barcelona frames I quite like but not sure if they suit me or are a bit boring...

puglife15 Sun 05-Feb-17 09:40:59

Bump

AndShesGone Sun 05-Feb-17 10:26:41

Jimmy Choo ones from Glasses Direct. Deliberately picked as they're quite like a few tv programmes I've seen (like Tea Leoni in Madame Secretary). Very good quality, cost me £98 from Glasses Direct about a year ago.

Floisme Sun 05-Feb-17 10:27:35

Mine are like this only in grey with a slight purple tinge which I can't see on the website. They're expensive but I'm very good at enabling spending on glasses if you need any help.
www.cutlerandgross.com/shop/details/1013-humble-potato

I also really fancied some tortoiseshell horn rimmed ones like this but every single person who saw me try them went 'hmm'.

AnyFucker Sun 05-Feb-17 10:34:22

Sorry don't know how to rotate the pic but these are mine.

They are from Asda. Largish blue/brown tortoiseshell frames.

AnyFucker Sun 05-Feb-17 10:34:48

Ooh, I rotated the pic after all..

AnyFucker Sun 05-Feb-17 10:35:18

They were about 80 quid I think

WhenIGrowUpIWantToBeAPenguin Sun 05-Feb-17 10:40:05

These are mine... they're called 'Mezz', from Black Eyewear - loads of really cool jazz-inspired retro-yet-modern frames. Great service too if you're near one of their shops...

TheCustomaryMethod Sun 05-Feb-17 10:47:51

I've got these. I was a bit worried because I'd had narrow frames for years, but I felt like something a bit trendier. I did get a narrow framed pair alongside these as part of the two for one offer, but these are the ones I'm wearing as my main pair.

No one has collapsed with laughter yet, and a couple of people have said they look nice, so I am counting them as a success.

IHeartKingThistle Sun 05-Feb-17 10:48:10

From your description I think we have the same glasses! My second pair are retro-ish converse ones, also from Specsavers. They're square which normally doesn't suit me but they're quite deep and that seemed to change everything .

Took me 5 visits to choose mine, think they were sick of me!

CaoNiMa Sun 05-Feb-17 11:24:57

Celine frames from TKmaxx, lenses from Lenses Direct! Came to about £100 in total, which is far less than the eye-watering £500 the optician quoted me!

Floisme Sun 05-Feb-17 12:01:34

I'm going to stick up for opticians. I pay that much, including lenses and I agree it's a lot of money but I think it's worth it. I'm very, very picky and my optician is a bloody saint, lets me take away frames to try at home and cheerfully sends for any I spot online - even though I normally say 'nah' when I see them for real (half the time, the colours are completely different). The service - both before and after - is second to none and I just don't believe I'd get that from an online company.

There are loads of things I do on the cheap but not specs. They're my sight and a big part of my style all rolled into one.

ThisThreadCouldOutMe Sun 05-Feb-17 12:06:36

Mine are from Specsavers and I love them. From the front they look really boring but from the side they are pretty.

choppolata Sun 05-Feb-17 15:12:34

I have these Prodesign ones in tortoise with purple backing www.designerglassesboutique.co.uk/products/11153/333/designer-glasses/prodesign-denmark-4674.aspx

JemimaMuddledUp Sun 05-Feb-17 15:23:58

I have these ones and love them www.boots.com/opticians/glasses/opticians-glasses-womens/jigsaw-1504-womens-glasses-purple

twostepsister Sun 05-Feb-17 16:11:47

I was looking at ThisThreadCouldOutMe glasses in Specsavers the other day, very nice. Does anyone know where Nicola McClean's glasses are from?

jackny Sun 05-Feb-17 16:30:03

I have these ones www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/cath-kidston-05?sku=30474901

jackny Sun 05-Feb-17 16:33:03

Plus these from Boots www.boots.com/boots-catherine-womens-glasses-purple

OCSockOrphanage Sun 05-Feb-17 17:26:38

[[https://www.brunochaussignand.com/ hereThis is the company that made mine, no longer on the site as three years old.

I'm with Floisme on specs: I wear them all day every day, they are part of defining my look, and I need to want to be happy with them for three or four years for cost per wear reasons. So the fact that they cost more than my wedding dress is irrelevant. I still like them, and they still look fairly current, but will be changed next time my prescription moves significantly. And then, I will again choose something quite directional.

Don't play too safe would be my advice.

OCSockOrphanage Sun 05-Feb-17 17:27:40

Sorry, messed up the link, but all the information is there. Not much sold in the UK in any case.

jeaux90 Sun 05-Feb-17 17:43:39

I think if you wear specs then wear them. I go for a trendy nerd look at work so I bought some jimmy choos.

YakiUdonYumYum Sun 05-Feb-17 17:52:04

I'm very short sighted and wear glasses all the time. I've got a few pairs of glasses, but most often wear Lindberg glasses because they're super light and comfy. My most frequently worn ones look like these:

I admit they are pricey, but I do wear them every day (can't see without glasses) so actually the price per wear / day is very very reasonable!

puglife15 Sun 05-Feb-17 22:02:58

Thanks for all the shares, some lovely specs there.

Hmm I am being persuaded by the investment argument, although my wedding dress cost £70 so even a pair from specsavers is more than that!

I just struggle to find frames that suit me and I actually like.

Love the disco leopard ones from Cutler & Gross. But think they'd be a bit dark on me.

CheerfullyIndifferent Sun 05-Feb-17 22:15:41

Mine are these, from Vision Express. I've had smaller glasses for years so this was a big change but I love it. The other one I liked was this, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't this expensive back then shock

AmberNectarine Sun 05-Feb-17 22:51:13

These are mine. I love the moulded plastic styles, but I have a small face and a narrow bridge of nose so I need the nose pads. I also have a ludicrous prescription so even with maximum thinning, my lenses almost 1cm thick at the outer edges. Quite limiting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now