Talk

Advanced search

When do I apply my topical tretinoin ointment?

(7 Posts)
umberellaonesie Sat 04-Feb-17 22:17:40

Sorry can't find my last thread on the mobile app.
So routine is
Cleanse to remove make up with oil based cleanser
Second cleanse with cream cleanser.
Toner with glycolic acid in
Serum
Moisturiser

Question as above at what point do I apply retinoid?

bigbuttons Sun 05-Feb-17 09:07:45

I would strongly advise against using ret A with an acid.
I always use tret at night . I cleanse and then leave my skin with nothing on for an hour until it is completely dry. Then I apply tret and nothing else.
If the skin is even a little damp the tret will irritate if much more.

umberellaonesie Sun 05-Feb-17 13:58:13

That was my routine before but have needed to shake things up a bit as I am getting older and my skin needs more.
So hence adding a few more things in. I have even using the retinoid for years to manage acne so very experienced with them and prescribed them by my doctor.

burnishedsilver Sun 05-Feb-17 14:01:37

Assuming thats your night time routine, I suggest to do what youre going now but do it every second night. Every other night drop the acid and the serum and replace these steps with the retinoid

umberellaonesie Sun 05-Feb-17 14:12:52

I feel I need the serum after the retinoid.
I definitely need the retinoid every day for my acne. If I miss it i break out.

bigbuttons Sun 05-Feb-17 16:00:43

You need to leave at least an hour with the retinoid alone, if you insist on putting something else on afterwards. You will be diluting the retinoid otherwise.

Itsalldramarama Sun 05-Feb-17 18:55:07

I just cleanse , wait half hour , apply retin a , wait an hour and then moisturise with cetaphil .
I use the serums and acid toners on a morning .
Works well for me ( except when I used bloody redermic R the other night and my face is falling off and on fire .... bepanthan to the rescue !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now