Talk

Advanced search

SKINCARE GURUS!!! I have bought a shitload of stuff from The Ordinary. Now what do I do?

(17 Posts)
susannahmoodie Sat 04-Feb-17 21:22:04

So I have established that my skin is dehydrated. I bought 4 products from the ordinary for this skin type. Photo from website attached.....but there isn't a cleanser here, so presumably I need a cleanser? I do cleanse with Avene gentle cleanser but I have been told that because I wear a full coverage foundation, I should use an oil based cleanser, is this correct? And also I need an spf because of the retinoid? So when do I apply that?

Also,I understand I should introduce these products gradually rather than a wholesale change all at once so which order should I do that in and how long a gap should I leave between introducing the different products??

All so complicated shock

Ifonlyiweretaller Sat 04-Feb-17 21:35:35

I have to say that I was put off using The Ordinary by the complexity of it. I just wanted a new cleanser, serum, day and night moisturiser but found it all too complicated on their website, despite help from Mnetters when I said I couldn't make any sense of it all..
I hope someone who is more knowledgeable can help you work it all out...

SilentlyScreamingAgain Sat 04-Feb-17 21:38:30

Which four products did you buy?

susannahmoodie Sat 04-Feb-17 21:47:20

Hylaronic acid
Magnesium abscorb-something phosphate
Advanced retinoid
Rose hip oil

hollieberrie Sat 04-Feb-17 21:47:40

I can try to help but yes depends which products! Normally evening is cleanse (double - one oil, one not), acid tone, serum + moisturiser. Am not sure where retinol fits in tbh.
If not, get over to the Fantastic Skincare thread, they will sort you out.

hollieberrie Sat 04-Feb-17 21:50:49

Yes you need spf.
In the morning a gentle cleanse is fine, in the evening you need double - an oil based cleanser and then the gentle one, to get off the spf and make up.
Cleanse, then your acid, not sure after that.. confused

SavoyCabbage Sat 04-Feb-17 21:57:04

I couldn't get a grasp of it at all. I read and read but I couldn't get to grips with it.

Ifonlyiweretaller Sat 04-Feb-17 22:20:38

Glad its not only me Savoy! Frustrating that you want to spend money on new and recommended products but the company's website is so baffling. I ended up doing buying day and night moisturiser and serum capsules from Elemis ( on a buy two get one free at timetospa.co.uk so wasn't as expensive a hit as it might have been!)...

SilentlyScreamingAgain Sat 04-Feb-17 22:21:08

You don't need to oil cleanse to remove an oil based foundation or an SPF. You can if you want' and lots of folks get on very well with it, but if your dehydrated skin is oily or combination, most dermatologist recommend staying well away from any kind of oil cleansing.

Double clensing is enough use a makeup remover or a micellar water to remove makeup and then a cream cleanser to clean your face.

Of the list you've given, I'd use them in the following way:

Magnesium abscorb-something phosphate - this is a vic C precursor, use in the AM on clean skin. It might be a little uncomfortable for a few minutes, it's normal and will stop when your skin gets used to it. Give it a week or ten days before you introduce anything else.

Hylaronic Acid, this is a bland serum to use under moisturiser but after the Mag Ascorbic Acid. It suits most people really well but some find that it exacerbates dryness. See how you go with it for a week before you introduce anything else.

Advanced retinoid, this is hardcore skincare. Make sure your face is totally dry before you use it, wait 20 minutes after cleansing your face. Be very sparing with it when you first introduce it. Apply twice a week, slowly building up to every night as your skin becomes used to it. Some people have a bit of a 'purge' with it and it can make your face flushed when you start using it. You might look worse before you look better. Having said that, it's one of the few skincare products that has been proven to work.

Rose hip oil - when you're used to everything else you can try this as a last step at night as a sort of topcoat to seal everything else in.

As you say, you'll need an SPF.

susannahmoodie Sun 05-Feb-17 08:25:41

Thanks so much, this is exactly the kind of for dummies info I need!!

My skin is oily around my nose so I will avoid oil cleanser. Can you recommend a good cream cleanser?

Deadsouls Sun 05-Feb-17 08:34:06

Okay this is what I do, (mind you only my routine)

Evening; I use the Hylamide cleanser (same company different brand)
Then a few drops of advanced retinoid, leave for 30 secs or so, then apply a second serum, then an oil.

Morning: cleanse, use the magnesium thing, then The hydralauric, then moisturise. You can use the oil.

Thing I'm struggling with is finding a lightweight, non-greasy/non-drying spf to wear over top of skin for the day. Ordinary does not have an spf yet

Deadsouls Sun 05-Feb-17 08:34:32

Plus persist. My skin has never looked better

Kennington Sun 05-Feb-17 08:38:58

I use the ordinary buffet mixed with my moisturiser and I really like it as it is nice and hydrating.
The retinoid is hardcore and I used it sparingly and got pealing skin within 48 hours. I now use it once per week and slather grape seed oil on top.
The vit c stuff I also only use at night and once a week as I think this is all too much.
You need a light SPF if your skin it oily.
The products are great for ingredients but are difficult to get to grips with. Botemp and aurora are better at explaining too.

susannahmoodie Sun 05-Feb-17 12:23:30

Can I use the rose hip oil as a moisturiser am and pm?? Or do I need a separate moisturiser?

Deadsouls Sun 05-Feb-17 13:12:28

You can use the oil. They also sell a moisturiser, called 'natural moisturising factors' that I've been using for day. I like it, it's quite heavy but doesn't sit on the skin.

Fannyfannakerpants Sun 05-Feb-17 13:23:59

I have slightly different products but I was told my Victoria health to use the acids including hydrochloric in the morning followed by my usual moisturiser. I'm currently using the ordinary one. I like it. Then the hydrochloric, retinoid and oil at night.
I had to give up on the hydrochloric. It really blocked my pores. My skin tolerates the retinoid really well so I probably use this every other night at the moment.
I use super drug hot cloth cleanser. I really like it and it gets really good reviews on here.

faustina Sun 05-Feb-17 14:51:27

I'm using buffet and hyaluronic acid in the morning, and then buffet and advanced retinoid in the evening. I was meant to use the rose hip oil in the evening too, but I found it way too oily and have given up with it. I've recently started using NIOD hydration vaccine as a moisturiser which is amazing - one of the best I've ever used (and I've tried millions). I tried the Ordinary moisturiser and wasn't too impressed.

I've also just started using the azalaic acid and the caffeine solution morning and evening and I really like those too.

It sounds really complicated and time consuming but honestly it isn't - it's just a few drops of each on the palm of my hand, and then I do something else for minute or two before adding another

I don't know where you ordered from, but I use Victoria Health and they're really helpful with advice about what to use and when

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now